Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
For girls the Anne of Green Gables series are all available in e-format. My daughter gobbled up every single one of them.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Some of the Grimm stories are a bit grim; e.g. the last paragraph of Rumpelstiltskin:
Oh man... use the spoiler tag please. You just ruined the ending of this book that I was planning to read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 02:03 AM   #18
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I have a 9 year old boy and in pbook he is really, really into Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan (read aloud book) and books by 'Charlie Small'.

If you are looking to buy him ebooks, Books on Board and Sony have Star Wars, Flat Stanley, Narnia and a Charlie Small which are all excellent. Sony ebook store has a better selection if you can buy from them. I noticed they had some by Beverly Cleary which he might enjoy.

For free books here at MR try the Bobbsey Twins, Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie.

Last edited by Curly; 04-16-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "Narnia" books by C.S. Lewis are wonderful, and available in beautiful eBook versions, with all the original illustrations. I know that they have a Christian allegory, but that doesn't get in the way of the story even if one doesn't believe in such things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The "Just So" stories by Kipling are great, although perhaps best read out loud.

"..the banks of the Great, Grey-Green, Greasy Limpopo river, all set about with Fever trees..."

Goodness - no Mobipocket version here at Mobileread. Only LRF:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13214
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #21
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "Narnia" books by C.S. Lewis are wonderful,...
There's a documentary on the Narnia books on BBC1 tonight (16/04/09) - The Narnia Code.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #22
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
There's a documentary on the Narnia books on BBC1 tonight (16/04/09) - The Narnia Code.
Thanks!!! I'd forgotten it was on tonight.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #23
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'll also recommend Conan Doyles' The Lost World. Jungle and Dinosaurs...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Tha Narnia books are nice, although as is often the case with a series, the later ones become a little belabored. But as a series, certainly not at the same level with LOTR books or the Dune series.

At this age many boys develop interest in fantasy and science fiction. So, depending on how advanced he is, over the next year or two, he may enjoy:

The Golden Compass (http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Compass...p/B000FC1ICM); The Subtle Knife (http://www.amazon.com/Subtle-Knife-D...d_sim_kinc_1); and The Amber Spyglas (http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Spyglass...=pd_sim_kinc_1)

Dune (http://www.amazon.com/Dune-40th-Anni...9903874&sr=1-3) - the first 4 books are great

Lord of the Rings (not sure it's available as a legal ebook, but a good, immersive read)

Any more accessible science fiction.

I'd second Oz and the Lost World though.

Last edited by Sonist; 04-16-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #25
lala
lala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm not sure if it's available in e-book, but the Artemis Fowl series is very entertaining. Artemis Fowl is a 12 year old criminal mastermind. While Artemis' does not have the most lovable personality (he is a criminal mastermind, afterall), his adventures are thrilling.
lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #26
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Coraline would be a good one, might be a little scary, depending on the reader. When I was a kid I loved Greek mythology, would give that a shot, and the mystery-ish stuff... Encyclopedia Brown and The Three Investigators mainly.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #27
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooon69 View Post
C...When I was a kid I loved Greek mythology, would give that a shot....
Me too:-) What compilation did you read?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #28
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
In the adventure genre there's Tom Swift, The Rover Boys, and other series mainly from the Stratemeyer Syndicate. A good list of books available online can be found at http://oldfashionededucation.com/fictionforboys.htm I will point out that some of these series feature older teens and in some cases, boys joining the military and going to war. Those are probably just a bit too old for an 8-year-old.

Boys often enjoy historical fiction. You can find many of the books written by G A Henty here at Mobileread as well as those by Howard Pyle. Stories about Ancient Greece and Rome may be a good choice. You can get The Age of Fable (aka Bullfinch's Mythology) in the MobileRead library as well. And don't overlook biographies. A list of biographies suitable for kids can be found at http://oldfashionededucation.com/biography.htm

Someone has already mentioned The Bobbsey Twins. In that same vein, look for The Five Little Peppers and Elizabeth Nesbit's series that begins with Five Children and It. I've not seen them in electronic editions, but I'm really fond of Enid Blyton's Famous Five series and Arthur Ransom's Swallows and Amazons series.

And, most kids enjoy fairy tales. All of the "color" books by Andrew Lang are here at MobileRead -- and of course, Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Last edited by Elsi; 04-16-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #29
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I'd reccomend just about anything from an author that was my favorite when I was 8, and is still one of my favorites; Beverly Cleary. Any of the Ralph stories or Ramona/Henry stories would be great. Many are available at fictionwise.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #30
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Me too:-) What compilation did you read?
Oh I wish I could remember. I remember my first one though, kind of. It was a retelling of Hercules' twelve labors, I was hooked after the part where he strangled two snakes in his crib. It had some illustrated parts to it, one per labor I think. Um, the cover had some red on it, maybe? Almost all of my books as a kid came from the library, so it's all a blur as to what they looked like.

These days I've got a copy of Edith Hamilton's Mythology in my room, that usually takes care of my mythology fix. I flip through The Aeneid if I want reread some of my underlined passages.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote