Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 06-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Wolfe, Thomas: Of Time and The River. v1. 19 June 07

A big, brawling, fat American novel that celebrates small towns, imagination, country, and relationships.

I first encountered this at the right age, while in my mid-twenties. Now that I have a Reader – and have linked everything and made it “presentable” on our devices - I’m tempted to go back and re-read it for the sheer love of language that Wolfe exhibits.

This is a great, but flawed novel. I can highly recommend it. If you’ve read Wolfe, then you know what I’m talking about. (This is a sequel to his first novel, one that I’ll be working on shortly.)

Here’s a quote:

“The sequel to Thomas Wolfe's remarkable first novel, Look Homeward, Angel, Of Time and the River is one of the great classics of American literature. The book chronicles the maturing of Wolfe's autobiographical character, Eugene Gant, in his desperate search for fulfillment, making his way from small-town North Carolina to the wider world of Harvard University, New York City, and Europe. In a massive, ambitious, and boldly passionate novel, Wolfe examines the passing of time and the nature of the creative process, as Gant slowly but ecstatically embraces the urban life, recognizing it as a necessary ordeal for the birth of his creative genius as a writer.

“The work of an exceptionally expressive writer of fertile imagination and startling emotional intensity, Of Time and the River illuminates universal truths about art and life, city and country, past and present. It is a novel that is majestic and enduring. As P. M. Jack observed in The New York Times, ‘It is a triumphant demonstration that Thomas Wolfe has the stamina to produce a magnificent epic of American life.’”

Wolfe’s prose is exuberant and full of life. I loved his works when I was younger. Yes, this is a great novel.

I hope you like it.

Don

P.S.: I tried to do the linking and TOC in a way that makes sense. This is a huge novel. One can choose to go to the individual BOOKS or to the CHAPTERS – although I decided not to link to the Books while one is in the chapters section. This is a compromise with “our” BD program, I feel. Until we get a working TABLE, so that we can fill ONE WHOLE SCREEN WITH NOTHING BUT CHAPTERS, SUCH AS THIS TITLE - SO THAT THE USER CAN NAVIGATE UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT – until we have that correctly implemented in BD, then WE WILL HAVE ENDLESS SCREENS OF CHAPTERS WHEN THERE ARE A LOT OF CHAPTERS TO DEAL WITH. Hence, my work-around and logic for separating the Books and Chapters.

Your philosophy may differ, of course.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Many thanks for this. I also read Wolfe at about the same age and loved him, especially "Look Homeward Angel." Read all his books, which was no easy task! Well worth reading again all these years later.

I'm surprised his books are out of copyright already. Any others available? Where did you find this?

Klondike
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Many thanks for this. I also read Wolfe at about the same age and loved him, especially "Look Homeward Angel." Read all his books, which was no easy task! Well worth reading again all these years later.

I'm surprised his books are out of copyright already. Any others available? Where did you find this?

Klondike
In PD Australia.

I'll be working on "You Can't Go Home Again" perhaps later tonight.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
In PD Australia.

I'll be working on "You Can't Go Home Again" perhaps later tonight.

Don
"Of Time and the River" is very good IMHO; but, "You Can't Go Home Again" is truly great. I look forward to your version of it with baited breath (whatever that really means.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I look forward to your version of it with baited breath (whatever that really means.)
It means you eat cheese, then try to catch a mouse.

Try "bated breath."
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert