Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #241
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (10th gen), Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Leaf2 Black
What's wrong with the present hyphenation in crengine? It's also based on dictionaries.
CrazyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #242
sk8terek
sk8terek began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
I am Polish and I mostly read book written in my native language. The problem with current hypenation in CR3 is that it's accuracy according to Polish language is ca. 60-70%. As far as I noticed, it - for example - breaks two vowels ("zwolni-enie" should be hyphenated as "zwol-nie-nie" and "mi-ędzy" as "mię-dzy") or inserts hyphen between digraphs ("sz", "cz", "rz").

For average reader it is not a problem, he will get used to. I am personally keen on typography and for me it is unacceptable .

What is more, you could add some options to change three dots to ellipsis, "-" surrended by spacebars to en- or em-dash and "" to quotation marks depending on book language. Moreover, in Polish and Czech there is a typographic rule to not to end lines with individual conjunction hanging at the end of the line.
sk8terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #243
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What hyphenation mode do you use in cool reader?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #244
sk8terek

I use Librerator which contains CR3 engine and I suppose they both hyphenate words alike. But I'll immediately install clean CR3 and check if hypenation looks the same.

Last edited by sk8terek; 04-02-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #245
CrazyCoder
Zealot

CR3 has a special setting to choose a hyphenation dictionary. Note that it didn't work properly until the most recent update where I've fixed the dictionary setting.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #246
sk8terek

I installed 3.0.57-15 version and chosen Polish hyphenation dictionary. It also contains hyphenation mistakes mentioned above.

Here - http://www.ushuaia.pl/hyphen/ - you can check how hunspell hyphenates words. I checked many words in some languages and there was no mistake.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #247
CrazyCoder
Zealot

Thanks for the info. I do not have plans to improve the crengine in this regard, crengine is maintained by another developer: http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/ .

You are welcome to report this issue there.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #248
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8terek View Post
I installed 3.0.57-15 version and chosen Polish hyphenation dictionary. It also contains hyphenation mistakes mentioned above.
Just to be absolutely sure, try to check and eventually replace the corresponding string in /mnt/us/cr3/data/cr3.ini by crengine.hyphenation.directory=Polish_hyphen_(Alan ).pdb
i.e. one has to use just a filename without the path!
If the filename in your cr3.ini is still accompanied by the full path to *.pdb, crengine does not find proper file and uses the algorithmic hyphenation -- that is supposed to be universal but looks too far from perfect for most languages different from Russian. AFAIK, CrazyCoder has included the patch in the latest CR3-version...
BTW, I'm not familiar with Librerator, but if Kai just inherited the KPV hyphenation and did not add his own switch to select proper hyph. method (smth like in screenshot), then Librerator also uses algorithmic hyphenation.
Spoiler:

Last edited by NuPogodi; 04-02-2013 at 05:14 PM.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #249
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@NuPogodi & sk8terek

Hyphenation in Librerator is inherited from KPV, and there is no switch to select proper hyphenation method. However, unlike KPV, it can be turned off editing defaults.lua.

Regards,
Kai
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #250
dieter3
dieter3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
TOC support

Hi,

has anyone details about TOC support? Is this missing in the Kindle Port or is it missing in the crengine?
I was wondering however that TOC is somehow empty, but in the progress bar still some chapter marks are rendered (though they do not correlate with real chapter endings/beginnings).
dieter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #251
CrazyCoder
Zealot

TOC support is a part of crengine, it would depend of the file format that you are reading. Works fine here for fb2.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #252
dieter3

Thanks for the hint! I tried some books in epub and mobi format and coolreader did not show a TOC for any of them.
Now converting them to fb2 indead gives me a TOC. The TOC does not contain the chapter names but only the page numbers but I can live with that
Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #253
dieter3

Hmm, after converting my epub to e.g. azw3 and back to epub with Calibre, the TOC is now displayed correctly even with chapter names in CoolReader
Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #254
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
KUAL extension for Cool Reader 3:
Download archive

Last edited by kaznelson; 04-27-2013 at 01:00 PM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #255
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Is there a way to install Coolreader 3 on a Kindle PW with FW version 3.5.3 without Collection Manager as this requires FW version <3.5.3?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote