Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #976
zvonchica
zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3.4 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
you should try Arial Unicode MS instead of the normal Arial font.
I copied several Unicode fonts (Arial, Roman) into Userfont folder. When I change them, pdf files look the same, as if it's only one font present. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

System Settings - Language/IME

Language - English
IME - Latin (I changed all other Chinese options and there's no change at all - the font looks just the same, so I left it as Latin)

Reading Setting

English Font - Arial Unicode MS (I changed Comic Sans MS, Roman Unicode MS and the other 10 existant fonts - the name of the font is changed, but the shape of the letters is always the same. I have the impression that Duokan has set one font and use it no matter what I choose).
zvonchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #977
iri1
iri1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonchica View Post
I copied several Unicode fonts (Arial, Roman) into Userfont folder. When I change them, pdf files look the same, as if it's only one font present. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Manipulation of fonts (type/size/thickness) can be made only for mobi format (or maybe epub, don't know, I don't use epub)

For pdf is used the font within pdf, I guess. Anyway, you can't change it. That applies also to kindle firmware. That applies also to computers. Duokan only cut page edges and zoom out to fit screen.

For central european characters (latin 2), you must use an older duokan version, maybe from september/october 2012, don't know for sure when that issue appeared, newer versions can't read some latin 2 characters properly in pdfs. Anyway, newer versions offer nothing more for non-chinese people than older versions.
iri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #978
zvonchica
zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Iri1,

thank you very much for your reply. I figured out that changing fonts is working for mobi files, but pdfs remain the same. The only problem with three characters (č, ć, đ) is present in three pdf files uploaded on the Internet by the same person. All other ebooks in pdf format with Central/East-European character encoding are shown correctly.

I will be patient and hope that the problem be solved by the developers in the following months. I don't dare to downgrade to one of the previous versions now when the installation process went flawlessly

Apart from that, I'm very satisfied with pdf reflow in Duokan. "Smart layout" is great and "cut edges" option can do a proper job where smart layout fails and it comes in handy with pages arranged in two columns (although files like that can considerably slow down turning pages). I was pleasantly surprised when I found the option to turn pages automatically, for all of us lazy people reading in bed

Overall, great job is done by the Duokan team.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #979
rorogio
Enthusiast
rorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonchica View Post
Overall, great job is done by the Duokan team.
You can thank them on their support site too if you want:
http://bbs.duokan.com/forum/thread-76243-21-1.html

I have put them the same problem about CE font characters on the interface, when switching to other languages, and still no answer from them about it. (Cyrillic characters are on the other side completely "invisible"/replaced with spaces)

Actually these 2 system fonts are giving the problems:
fzlth_gb18030.ttf
lingoes.ttf

So I asked them to wether change them with Unicode fonts or give an option to change them manually somehow.

Maybe if more people will ask this then they would create a solution faster

Last edited by rorogio; 01-10-2013 at 06:47 AM.
rorogio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #980
zvonchica

Rorogio,

I sent them this morning an email (at address kindleuser@duokan.com) where I wrote about the problem with CE encoding in some ebooks in pdf formats and attached this particular ebook which is not shown correctly by Duokan OS.

I will report here on this thread if/when I get some feedback.

You could write to them using the above mentioned email address, because this is the only way to speed them up.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #981
Montecitorio
Montecitorio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I'm the only one that gets a s****y english translation on duokan?
Montecitorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #982
zvonchica

There's a combination of English and Chinese words and yes, that is normal.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #983
ataraxia0
ataraxia0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
anyone know how to update KT to 5.3.2 while you have already installed duokan?

there is this official link, but i can't understand!

help plz
ataraxia0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #984
ataraxia0

edited
Old 01-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #985
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxia0 View Post
anyone know how to update KT to 5.3.2 while you have already installed duokan?
there is this official link, but i can't understand!
this may work:
  1. create a text file on the root of Kindle and rename it as DUOKAN_DISABLE (no extension)
  2. restart Kindle using menu>settings>menu>restart
  3. copy the update file and execute it using menu>settings>menu>update
  4. delete the file: DUOKAN_DISABLE and restart again to switch to Duokan
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #986
pharaohseti
pharaohseti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How can we remove or hide the topmost DK_Bookstore (in chinese characters) folder in Duokan homepage when folder view is selected?

And also for large EPUB files (10 mb or so) it waits to much time between opening the book or waking up from screensaver. And also I was not able to open a 20 MB PDF file and needed to restart the kindle (it was just spinning). Mine is a Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3.4). Are these normal?

Last edited by pharaohseti; 01-11-2013 at 04:16 AM.
pharaohseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #987
gleniu
gleniu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hello.

I have a few questions that I haven't found answers for. Maybe you can help me. I use Duokan 2012 R7.7 (I've been using Duokan 2012 from R7.5) and I read mostly in .mobi format.
1. Is there any way to disable hyphenation? I read in Polish.
2. I can only see percentage progress bar. I'd love to see page numbers. How can I make page numbers visible?
3. There is also a little bug that irritates me. If I go back to a previous page, the first line of the next page is moved to that page. It happens every time I go backwards and it makes using bookmarks very uncomfortable.

Any help would be very appreciated
gleniu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #988
ataraxia0

Thumbs up duokan on 5.3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
this may work:
  1. create a text file on the root of Kindle and rename it as DUOKAN_DISABLE (no extension)
  2. restart Kindle using menu>settings>menu>restart
  3. copy the update file and execute it using menu>settings>menu>update
  4. delete the file: DUOKAN_DISABLE and restart again to switch to Duokan

Sir thomass,

thats works perfectly!

I install new firmware with your command, nice and easy.

but I have another question:

in this link, duokan moderator said that for update doukan in 5.3.2, you need to master the "mfgtool+ magic key". what's this?

would you please explain that step by step, so I can do it(like your previous comment) because I'm very greenhorn!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #989
iri1
iri1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
@zvonchica

My pdfs with problems for CE characters are pdfs made directly from OCR by someone, no editing or correcting, they are old and have some unusual fonts embedded by the OCR software, custom encoding, so it's no wonder they can't show properly in duokan. What I mean is that's not a duokan bug. Kindle firmware also have trouble with them, showing spaces instead those CE characters. Although those pdfs were properly shown in older versions of duokan.

Every other pdfs are ok in duokan.

@gleniu

1. Maybe you could remove the hyphenation files, see what happens
DK_System\xKindle\Resource\Hyphen
2. There's no fixed page layout in mobi, as in pdf or paper book, so you can't number pages, cause pages do not exists. You confuse page with screen area. If you change font type/size, you make different "pages" with more/fewer words, so there's no point in page number, only percentage based on total characters number, cause that's permanent.
3. Bookmarks are based on percentage, not on "pages". Next page is actual next characters till the end of screen or end of chapter
iri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #990
gleniu
gleniu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
@iri1

1. Thanks. I'll try and see what happens.
2. I understand that, but in the past I tried CoolReader3 for JailBroken official Kindle 4.1.0 and there were page numbers. You know, I've changed font size and layout once, I like it and I won't change it in the future. So I thought that Duokan could calculate how many "pages" - I mean screens - are needed to show whole .mobi file in that certain font type/size and show this value in the top/bottom. I believe that's how CoolReader3 does it, and for me it makes reading on Kindle much more "paperlike"
3. I believe you didn't understand me, because of how I wrote about it. Just try to view any document in Duokan, go few screens forward, notice what is first line on that "page", go one "page" backwards and you'll notice, that this first line is now the last line. The layout isn't fixed, even if I don't change font type/size, and that irritates me a little.

Anyway, thank you for your answers
gleniu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf