Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
tonyaldr
tonyaldr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Format comparison

I have both a Nook Color and an iPad which allows me to read both Nook and Kindle editions. If one finds a book in both formats, is there an advantage to buying one over the other? I almost exclusively use my iPad which has both apps installed. Just wondering if one format gives a little extra over the other. I notice that this particular ebook is twice the price in the Nook format. Is that due to that format having some quality or feature advantages? Thanx!
tonyaldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Hypothetically, it is possible to have considerably nicer formatting and display in ePub than Mobi (see the screenshots in the thread for this illustrated version of Three Men in a Boat in our Patricia Clark Memorial Library if curious).

On a practical level, pretty much no one really bothers with taking advantage of ePub's display capabilities and most readily-available popular fiction books will look almost the same in either format. (Sometimes there will be conversion oddities to Mobi, though, such as intended drop caps making the first line of a paragraph display with a break below the much larger first letter, which tends to show up in some HarperCollins titles, along with tiny squinty font).

The new KF8 format for newer Kindle models is supposed to bridge the display gap, however, comparatively few books are available in it and it seems unlikely that publishers will update their old files with a better version to take advantage of the features.

The ebook pricing differential is generally not for quality/feature advantage, but because sometimes the stores can set their own discount pricing, so you usually have to shop around regardless.

In terms of future-proofing, Amazon does occasionally change the DRM scheme for their e-books and break the tools that people use for removing it so they can perform backups of their paid purchases, on an average of about twice a year or so, so I'd personally consider that to be something to keep in mind, though YMMV.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I prefer epub as a format. Not just because the devices I now own support that, but also because it as a format I understand the inner workings of; xml files compressed into a zip file. I do at present purchase ebooks from Amazon if the price is lower there, or when occasionally it is the only source of the ebook. That would end if it became impossible to remove DRM and convert to epub using Calibre. As long as Amazon continues to attempt to tie the ebooks they offer to Amazon reading devices I hope that they remain only one of multiple sources.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
tonyaldr
tonyaldr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Appreciate the responses! Thanx!
tonyaldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I don't like epub because I prefer the text to be fully justified and hate the ragged ends that epub has on the right. Also, many epubs form a narrow column down the centre when in large font on my 505. For this reason I prefer lrf or my personal rtf template which is set up for the reader screen. The drawback of rtf is with illustrations and chapter links.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I don't like epub because I prefer the text to be fully justified and hate the ragged ends that epub has on the right. Also, many epubs form a narrow column down the centre when in large font on my 505. For this reason I prefer lrf or my personal rtf template which is set up for the reader screen. The drawback of rtf is with illustrations and chapter links.
It's time for you to upgrade from your old 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love my 505 and it still works. I'll upgrade when/if it breaks, till then I'll use Calibre to convert the epubs to lrf. I have six cats who cost me a fortune in food and vets fees, and who take priority over new ereaders, so I'm not the kind of person who can afford to buy the latest ereader.

I agree with you in theory, JS, but can't afford to put it into practise.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I love my 505 and it still works. I'll upgrade when/if it breaks, till then I'll use Calibre to convert the epubs to lrf. I have six cats who cost me a fortune in food and vets fees, and who take priority over new ereaders, so I'm not the kind of person who can afford to buy the latest ereader.

I fully understand the lack of funds for a new reader.

The problem may come down the line when you someday replace your 505 and you have all these LRF and if you want to read/read any of them, you have to convert them instead of them already being done. LRF is dead. Sony has stopped supporting it. The T1 has no LRF support.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LRF generally converts to ePub pretty well, though; I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
I don't like epub because I prefer the text to be fully justified and hate the ragged ends that epub has on the right..
That's a CSS issue, not an EPUB issue; plenty of EPUBs have justified text.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I fully understand the lack of funds for a new reader.

The problem may come down the line when you someday replace your 505 and you have all these LRF and if you want to read/read any of them, you have to convert them instead of them already being done. LRF is dead. Sony has stopped supporting it. The T1 has no LRF support.
Or BookCat can simply keep a copy of the original epub when converting. Calibre does this automatically anyway, if memory serves. BookCat can check his calibre folder just in case, but I'm confident everything should check out.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
LRF generally converts to ePub pretty well, though; I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Actually, it doesn't. You end up with code that needs fixing.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
That's a CSS issue, not an EPUB issue; plenty of EPUBs have justified text.
Not on the PRS-505 they don't - it displays all ePubs left justified.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not on the PRS-505 they don't - it displays all ePubs left justified.
To be 100% correct, it's an Adobe Digital Editions rendering engine issue with the versions that Sony used for its older (pre-350/650/950) readers. Sony could upgrade the older models but they'd rather you upgrade to a newer model. Alternatively you could install alternate software but that may bring other issues like needing to liberate DRMed books that otherwise would've worked on the stock firmware.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
BookCat
C L J

Most of the books I have are PD or otherwise from free sources. The PD ones could easily be replaced, the others, it depends on the source. Some of the SmashWords freebies are now priced, the others, well I suppose they could always be replaced, but usually need converting from txt, so I convert them to an rtf format via word as they normally don't have illustrations.

JxK thanks for the help, but I'm female:

Quote:
BookCat can check his calibre folder just in case

P.S. Why are other peep's quotes italic? Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited by BookCat; 05-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Tags
ebook, ipad, kindle, nook color