Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Picked up the KT this afteroon...

The family and I stopped by chapters on our way for other errands as we wanted to take a look at the touch, and decided to get my fathers day and very early birthday present after playing with it a bit. Very nice little device and I really like the fact that it does have stats tracking; apart from the fact I like this kind of thing, I think it will also help people figure out what kind of battery life they're getting compared to others. the awards system is a bit gimmicky, but hey, anything that gets more people to read is a good thing.

we were really impressed with how responsive it was and we all figured out how to use it really quick (myself, the wife and our 10 year old). The only disapointing thing is that it looks like I might have to buy another book cover case for it as my current one is too large for the tiny KT, although I should be able to modify it a bit to get it to fit without falling it.

Will update later once I've played with a bit
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I bought a small book like cover today. With my Kobo WiFi, I always took the reader out of the cover to read. With the Touch, it is comfortable reading with the cover on.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I bought the official leather cover / case for both Kindle 2 and the Kindle 3 WiFi with the lighted gizmo built in. I use them for travelling but not at home. What I've found is I actually prefer to read "naked" ... the ereader, that is, not me!

So for all three Kobos, I didn't spring for a case. As much as I like the simplicity of the Roots pouches, I just can't bring myself to spend $30 for one. And the book-like one -- which straps the Kobo in all four sides -- seems a bit flimsy.

I may change my mind the first time the cat knocks one of them on the floor ...

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-11-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typos
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I like having a case for a couple of reasons, most of all because it does offer some protection to it (although I have dropped it on a number of occasions both, and even launched it across the room once, in the case and bare, with no ill effect).

However, I did find a way to get the KT to fit in case I have; it was originally designed for the Kindle 3 so the original kobo was just a tad smal for it to begin with. I ended up using the tie cable that came with the USB cord, and strung it between the two elastics that hold the kobo in at the top, and tightened it a bit. Now the KT is now snug and secure.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
omgfire
Enthusiast
omgfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Ipod Touch 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I bought the official leather cover / case for both Kindle 2 and the Kindle 3 WiFi with the lighted gizmo built in. I use them for travelling but not at home. What I've found is I actually prefer to read "naked" ... the ereader, that is, not me!

So for all three Kobos, I didn't spring for a case. As much as I like the simplicity of the Roots pouches, I just can bring myself to spend $30 for one. And the book-like one -- which strap the Kobo in all four sides -- seem a bit flimsy.

I may change my mind the first time the cat knocks one of them one the floor ...
I couldn't spend that much on a case too, so I made one out of an old pc DVD case. Works great and keeps my kobo protected. I posted some pictures in another thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=36
omgfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Hey, omgfire! Nice trick embedding the Kobo in an old DVD case!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The "official" Kobo/Indigo book style cover is not flimsy. My ebay find was. I was not planning on buying a cover for this one--I tend do leave my reader at home and if I have a few moments to read when I am out, I read on my phone. Don't tell anyone, but it was the colour that called out to me--that deep plum. I also think I am more likely to take this smaller Kobo out with me--it's more purse friendly.

It does not have a clasp, however, and my cheaper one did. Not having a clasp makes holding it to read more comfortable, but the screen could inadvertently be exposed to danger when the reader bounces around in my bag.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Ahhh taming you fell for the nefarious make them pretty colours plan with the covers...Don't worry they got me too although I went for deep blue. I like the book style cover had one for my original I can close it to protect the screen or flip it back under one hand to read it one handed which is what I want. If the price point is holding you back don't worry give them a few weeks and I'm sure that cheaper alternatives than the roots slider or the book cover will come along.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Yes, I am shallow in this way . As opposed to my first cover for my older Kobos, this one is comfortable enough to use that I might actually carry my Kobo with me, rather than reading on my smartphone when I am out and about. It was too much of a PITA, for me to take it out of the cover for a five minute read. With the Touch and the new plummy cover, reading while it is in the cover is just fine, though I like my Touch nekkid for prolonged reading.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Mine is constantly in a backpack for commuting so I ended up getting the Roots case. Didn't want to get one online, and out of the selection at Chapters it seemed like the best one.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
I'm planning on holding out until they get a new moleskine version for the Touch as I love the one I have for my Kobo Wifi and I'm sure in a few weeks they'll get new covers as that's usually how they market accessories which more to come later on.

I'm glad you're finding the Touch to be a vast improvement as we were generally impressed when we first got them instock also I just hope that more will arrive soon so that it can stem the demand that's building

Michael
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote