Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@Amalthia & tponzo:

There will be stuff printed in the command box/terminal. Connect your sony (more stuff is printed), then add one book (yet more stuff is printed). If the new driver is running, buried in the last 'stuff' printed will be two lines of interest that I want you to post back to me. Samples are shown below. The number after DEBUG: will be different, because it is a time. 'localtime' will probably be GMT. I don't need the name of the book.
Code:
[ stuff ...]
DEBUG:    7.2 Using localtime TZ for new book database/media/books/...
[ stuff ...]
DEBUG:    7.2 Timezone votes: 0 GMT, 165 LTZ
[ stuff ...]
Unplug the device and see if the time to recover has improved.

I'm copying the two lines I got minus the book title.

Debug: Using GMT TZ for new book...author and book title listed...
Debug: Timezone votes: 766 GMT, 0 LTZ

But neither of these were last, after the timezone stuff it says.
DEBUG; staring update_playlists ['series', 'tags] 1

Then the last line says

DEBUG: PRS505: finished sync_booklists

I'm not sure if this helps?

I unplugged my device at 3:25 and it finished processing in 3 minutes so I think it worked but I'm not sure if this means I need to keep the new driver? or what happens when I upgrade to the next Calibre if I'm supposed to delete it?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:59 AM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Debug: Using GMT TZ for new book...author and book title listed...
Debug: Timezone votes: 766 GMT, 0 LTZ

But neither of these were last, after the timezone stuff it says.
DEBUG; staring update_playlists ['series', 'tags] 1

Then the last line says

DEBUG: PRS505: finished sync_booklists

I'm not sure if this helps?
Yes, it does. It tells me that I guessed correctly -- your 900 does somehow know what timezone it is in, and that all of the dates/times for the books on the card have been adjusted to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

I didn't expect the timezone lines to be last, so that isn't a problem.
Quote:
I unplugged my device at 3:25 and it finished processing in 3 minutes so I think it worked but I'm not sure if this means I need to keep the new driver? or what happens when I upgrade to the next Calibre if I'm supposed to delete it?
Three minutes instead of 30. Good!

As for what to do about the driver, the choice is yours. The changes that are in the driver you have will be released in 0.7.8 (in a week or so). You can keep the new driver until you upgrade, or you can delete it and wait for the upgrade. If you decide to keep the driver, then do remember to delete it next time you upgrade calibre.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Yes, it does. It tells me that I guessed correctly -- your 900 does somehow know what timezone it is in, and that all of the dates/times for the books on the card have been adjusted to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).
Um to be clear it's a 505. But whatever version it is the problem was the same. I'm just not sure what caused it. I'll see how the upgrade goes and keep the driver you shared just in case it doesn't work.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Um to be clear it's a 505. But whatever version it is the problem was the same. I'm just not sure what caused it. I'll see how the upgrade goes and keep the driver you shared just in case it doesn't work.
It is curious, I have a 505 and don't experience the problems you are have run in to.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #20
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It is curious, I have a 505 and don't experience the problems you are have run in to.
I've been running into some weird issues with my device for a while now. Like it would lose all the collections, or mix and match stories into the various collections, and etc....I think it's because I'm using an SD card on my device? Or I need to clear it off and reset it to factory default or something? Or it could be something with my cache?

But to be fair I have over 800 books on my device (trying to keep it below 1000) and it's over 2 years old. I think I may have also messed up when I copied the files over from my XP computer to my new Windows 7 laptop (which is also crashing for no good reason from time to time)

I still get "...." instead of epub or mobi on the drop down box (that'll allow you to select which format to convert to) when I select convert ebook. I think I may have to start everything over from scratch at some point. But right now I'm okay with bailing the water out of the boat so to speak.
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I still get "...." instead of epub or mobi on the drop down box (that'll allow you to select which format to convert to) when I select convert ebook. I think I may have to start everything over from scratch at some point. But right now I'm okay with bailing the water out of the boat so to speak.
I have PRS+ installed, no recent hiccups with the device, use Windows XP and have my books (278) in main memory. So our setups are different.

If you need help bailing... well I guess I can't help bailing, but I listen well.

Good Luck!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 AM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Evidence indicates that the slowness on disconnect come from the 505 knowing its timezone. The only way I see that it can know this is that the Sony Reader SW tells it.

My guess is that Amalthia uses Sony Reader from time to time, and that you don't.

I also guess that hard resetting the device would make it forget the timezone, but I have no evidence for that other than the low count of people who seem to have Amalthia's problem. If I am right, then if forgets the timezone, the hard reset would cause the reader to go through a complete scan, which could play havoc with the metadata in the database. Collections should stay, but title & author would revert to what is stored in the book.

Someone I worked with many years ago said that one problem with intelligent devices is that we must be more intelligent than they are, in order to work around their preconceptions and biases. I agreed then, and I agree now, but it is becoming harder and harder to do.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
My guess is that Amalthia uses Sony Reader from time to time, and that you don't.
I use Sony Software for the rare book purchase from the Sony store but I have never used it to transfer books or connect to my device for any reason.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #24
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Chaley,
just came back to this thread via somewhere else. I did have the very slow sync problem on my PRS 900 when I first upgraded to 0.7.7 but it seems to be better now. Maybe it was just the time zones thing. I might still run your fix just to be sure. Will check when I get home from work later.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
Chaley,
just came back to this thread via somewhere else. I did have the very slow sync problem on my PRS 900 when I first upgraded to 0.7.7 but it seems to be better now. Maybe it was just the time zones thing. I might still run your fix just to be sure. Will check when I get home from work later.
If it is working well enough, then I suggest you wait. The fix will be included in 0.7.8, coming out in a couple of days.

As said above, my suspicion is that using the Sony program to connect to the device changes the timezone. I also suspect that resetting the device will reset the timezone to GMT. Can you help confirm that? Have you reset your 900 and not used the Sony SW since to connect to it?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #26
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
If it is working well enough, then I suggest you wait. The fix will be included in 0.7.8, coming out in a couple of days.

As said above, my suspicion is that using the Sony program to connect to the device changes the timezone. I also suspect that resetting the device will reset the timezone to GMT. Can you help confirm that? Have you reset your 900 and not used the Sony SW since to connect to it?
I have not used the Sony SW to connect to my reader since I upgraded to calibre 0.7.7 Once I started to figure out how to get calibre doing what I want I don't use the Sony SW at all. No longer really having a problem with slow processing. (Well it is a little slower than two weeks ago but I have almost tripled the number of books )

I am still having a problem since 0.7.7 with calibre crashing if I try to send more than four or five books at a time.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote