Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interactive Fiction Heaven

I've just downloaded the free "Frotz" app for the iPad, and I'm now in heaven, being able to replay all the old "text adventure" games of my youth. I've dug out my old "Infocom" floppy disks and, lo and behold, they still work, so I've been able to transfer all the classic Infocom adventure games to the iPad.

I always wanted an IF interpreter for my eBook readers, and now I can use the iPad for it - it's great!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just downloaded the free "Frotz" app for the iPad, and I'm now in heaven, being able to replay all the old "text adventure" games of my youth. I've dug out my old "Infocom" floppy disks and, lo and behold, they still work, so I've been able to transfer all the classic Infocom adventure games to the iPad.

I always wanted an IF interpreter for my eBook readers, and now I can use the iPad for it - it's great!
Brilliant I new when people were questioning why no USB on iPad that the choice of a floppy disc drive instead made sense!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did have to go out and buy a USB floppy drive to read the floppy disks. Given that they are all at least 10 years old, I was rather surprised that they are still readable, but fortunately they all were.

The Frotz app has a really nice "web server" file transfer mechanism built in. You just start it, then run a web browser on the PC and upload files using a web interface. Very slick indeed.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-05-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i have floppy disks that are 30 years old and still work just fine.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
The scary part is that you know they work just fine; does this mean that you're still using them regularly??

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
OK, can we go back to the OP, please? ...

Harry, please tell me how you got your Infocom games on the iPad! I have Frotz also and have a nice library of Infocom games (on my Macs HD, not on floppies). Can I actually somehow copy those games onto my iPad? Wow, that would be great.

(on the down-side, that would mean that between old Infocom games, Plant vs Zombies, iBooks, Kindle, Stanza and iCab - that would really leave very little time for work or for the wife.... must. be. careful.)

Thanks,
-- Rique
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

First, make sure you have a WiFi connection on your iPad, then run Frotz, and tap the "i" symbol in the status bar at the top of the screen - that displays the "Settings" screen. Select "File Transfer" and tap the "Start File Transfer Server" button. Frotz will show you the IP address of its web server.

Go to your Mac, and type that IP address into your web browser. You'll see a "Frotz" web page. At the bottom of the screen there's an "Upload Story File" section. Browse to the ".dat" file for the Infocom game on your hard disk, type in a title for the game, and then click the "Submit" button to transfer it to the iPad. Repeat for each game in turn.

Works beautifully!
Old 06-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
First, make sure you have a WiFi connection on your iPad, then run Frotz, and tap the "i" symbol in the status bar at the top of the screen - that displays the "Settings" screen. Select "File Transfer" and tap the "Start File Transfer Server" button. Frotz will show you the IP address of its web server.

Go to your Mac, and type that IP address into your web browser. You'll see a "Frotz" web page. At the bottom of the screen there's an "Upload Story File" section. Browse to the ".dat" file for the Infocom game on your hard disk, type in a title for the game, and then click the "Submit" button to transfer it to the iPad. Repeat for each game in turn.

Works beautifully!
Yes, this works with the PC also.
Activision released all the Infocom adventures on a CD many years ago.
These use the .DAT extension which works just fine in Frotz. Extensions with a .z (like .z5) will also work but extensions with a .t will not.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
some Infocom downloads are legally available

What's left of Infocom has made the three "Zork" games available as free downloads, here, if you don't already have them.

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is available from Douglas Adams' web site. You may need to jump through the hoops at the entry page, and enter the serial number to get access to the next directory, but once you've done that, the actual game file is at http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/hhgg.z3 (right-click and save to disc).

Last edited by curtw; 06-05-2010 at 01:26 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:

Works beautifully!
Harry, I did not have good luck with my Mac Classic versions of the games (on my hard drive) - they were just Classic Map apps, and I think the .dat is probably embedded.

However - undaunted, I plunged into Google and easily located this site, from which (with some digging) I found a goldmine of old Infocom titles (not to mention the original Adventure - Colossal Cave) - in just about any format you could imagine:

http://www.ifarchive.org/

I uploaded just about every title I could think of - and am going to put them to the test this afternoon - very happy!

-- Rique
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

That is awesome, Harry. I downloaded that Frotz app way back when (it was one of the first iPhone apps, actually) but the choice of games wasn't as rich as I remembered...I had no idea the format was the same as the originals! I'm gonna dig thru my archives
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I have played these games on many-a-device, not finishing very many of them, I confess. But the iPad seems to be the PERFECT interaction device. Sit in my chair, legs crossed, cigar in hand, drink at my side, and wander into another world. Watch those ashes on the pad!

So what is your favorite game? I like Leather Goddesses of Phobos, in the "lewd" mode.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
Since all my old Infocom games were in the Amiga format, I don't think I will have much luck moving them to my iPod or my pc. I did load Frotz on my iPod awhile back, and have enjoyed the free games it came with.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Yes, I have this on my iPad too, great app.

I still have all my Commodore 64 originals of Infocom's great adventures and all their covers, papers and bits are intact too.

I hold on to them mainly as nostalgia and the fact that while I still have them I know they haven't just been lost, ruined or thrown away somewhere.

Sad, I know, but I have such fond memories of these days gone by.
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes1 View Post
Since all my old Infocom games were in the Amiga format, I don't think I will have much luck moving them to my iPod or my pc. I did load Frotz on my iPod awhile back, and have enjoyed the free games it came with.
*high five* I had Amigas too!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote