Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #61
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
hmmm....

Kat, Did you open an elevated command prompt? (right click and 'Run as Administrator')?
Ah, that was the problem.
I was just typing in the "cmd" text at the "search programs or files" part (I didn't know what an elevated command prompt was)!

Stupid Windows 7

Anyway - I've just tried it out and IT WORKED!
Thanks so much!
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #62
popsoul
popsoul began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I downloaded the version for osx but every time I try to open the app it shuts down. I'm running 10.5.8. Do I need to be running a higher os? Thanks for the efforts.
popsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #63
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Is there a simple version of what you all have been saying? It is like a foreign language to me. I have books in Calibre that I can't use on my Kobo because of the small font but all this tech language is making my mind go blank.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 AM   #64
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Is there a simple version of what you all have been saying? It is like a foreign language to me. I have books in Calibre that I can't use on my Kobo because of the small font but all this tech language is making my mind go blank.
Hi Wren,
Which part do you need help with?

Here's what you have to do from the start:
1. Download KoboBulkFixer from:
http://dl.thekidintheclock.com/u/514...oBulkFixer.zip

2. Unzip the file and run KoboBulkFixer.exe

2a. If you get a message that says "Component ‘COMDLG32.OCX’ or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." then follow the instructions here: http://devonenote.com/2010/02/regist...x-on-x64-win7/ (if you're having trouble with these then I can step you through it).

3. Once you're in KoboBulkFixer then navigate to the folder where your epub files are by hitting the "browse" button. Make sure the books that you want to fix are ticked in the big window.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE: KoboBulkFixer will replace your original files with the fixed ones - so you might want to make a copy of the originals in case something goes wrong.

4. Hit Start and wait for the success message.

5. TADA!

5a. Don't worry about the options unless it doesn't work. If it doesn't, open the options button and select "Delete CSS Entirely".

Hope this helps.
Kat
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #65
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Thanks for taking the time to help Kat. I will try this. :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 05:33 AM   #66
bob5146
Enthusiast
bob5146 began at the beginning.

Hi Guys,you all talk about the ??? files and ??? files, and all these bulk fixers, but to some one who knows very little about all this computer talk it is annoying to not be able to fix the size of the writing, i done the right thing and bought 12 books from the KOBO store and now it is impossible to read the SMALL writing, my Grandaughter has a KINDAL ( she is 10yrs)and no problems from amozon, this KOBO is VERY POOR
bob5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #67
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

All I can suggest is to wait for the firmware update that should be out next week, the week of the 28th. If editing the files is not your cup of tea there really isn't anything you can do.

The original release of the Kobo definitely has issues that cannot be resolved without a little tech savvy. Hopefully this firmware update fixes all of those issues so that someone who just wants to read can do so without issue.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #68
Vardd
Vardd began at the beginning.

Hi bob5146, did you try to follow what Katdragon posted ?

I can quote it for you.

Quote:
Here's what you have to do from the start:
1. Download KoboBulkFixer from:
http://dl.thekidintheclock.com/u/514...oBulkFixer.zip

2. Unzip the file and run KoboBulkFixer.exe

2a. If you get a message that says "Component ‘COMDLG32.OCX’ or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." then follow the instructions here: http://devonenote.com/2010/02/regist...x-on-x64-win7/ (if you're having trouble with these then I can step you through it).

3. Once you're in KoboBulkFixer then navigate to the folder where your epub files are by hitting the "browse" button. Make sure the books that you want to fix are ticked in the big window.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE: KoboBulkFixer will replace your original files with the fixed ones - so you might want to make a copy of the originals in case something goes wrong.

4. Hit Start and wait for the success message.

5. TADA!

5a. Don't worry about the options unless it doesn't work. If it doesn't, open the options button and select "Delete CSS Entirely".

Hope this helps.
Kat
If you still need help you have 2 options

1: Ask your question here and explain us where you have some difficulties.
2: Wait for next week, Kobo is suposed to release a FIRMWARE (i know it is a big word, but i just mean "FIX what's broken".) And in this firmware, it should automaticly fix the size of your books.

Vardd
Vardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #69
bob5146
Enthusiast

Hi vardd, got to : kidintheclock: then got lost, thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #70
Vardd

Hi bob5146 ,

Well unlucky for you, the link has been taken down.

But I've found a new one for you

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5148711/kobo/KoboBulkFixer.zip

So simply follow the tutorial posted by Kat but use this file.

If you have the error : "Component ‘COMDLG32.OCX’ or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid."

When you try to launch KoboBulkFixer,
the link Kat posted isn't working anymore, but i've just found an other website with the correct file (I've just tested it and it works greatly )

Go to http://www.mp3-ripper.net/faq.htm , then go to number 7 , and then follow what it says. and in less then 1 min you will be ready to use kobobulkfixer

If it still does not work, just post back where you got stuck and we will get it work.

Vardd
Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #71
bob5146
Enthusiast

Hi Vardd, Im not a SAVVY on these computers, all I want is to read a book that i can see the writing on,I appreciate you getting these threads etc for me, but to do what you have explained I would need a step by step run down, thanks again.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #72
Vardd

Kat's post was pretty close to a step by step tutorial, but so close of the firmware release, you might just be better wait a couple more days.

But if you want to give a try and use Kat tutorial, I can help you through it, but obviously can't do it for you.

Have a good day

Vardd
Old 06-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #73
NickWilliams
NickWilliams began at the beginning.

It worked!

I have been so bummed out that none of my epubs were legible. I know that $150 for an e reader is pretty cheap, but to my family and I it was a pretty major expense. I can't tell you all the trouble I went through thinking that my files were the problem. When the books I had bought from kobo didn't work right either, I thought that all hope was lost. I went to their help page and read about the firmware update, but I was really having some buyers remorse while waiting for the new version.

We really had to scrape by for a couple of weeks to afford this thing, (my wife ordered it for me for father's day), and I have been feeling so guilty about spending the money on what amounted to a paper weight.

Now, we are both practically elated! Thank you so much for putting this program together. I can finally start reading on my new e-reader! I'm not even going to finish the book I was reading in the meantime... that is how psyched I am!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
NickWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #74
Paulj
Paulj began at the beginning.

Kobo ePub fonts

Thank you for the fix. the font size and lack of table of contents in news feeds was a major source of irritation. this solves both problems. quite nicely

Paul
Paulj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #75
RonH
RonH began at the beginning.

Thanks

My thanks, too, for the software. One of my main uses for the Kobo is to read articles captured from such sites as artsandlettersdaily.com-- and now I can do it! It's a somewhat involved process, since I must first highlight the article on the original site and then save it to the clipboard, then save it in WordPerfect or Open Office as an RTF or ODT file, then submit it to the 2epub site and finally run it through thekidintheblock software to clean up the CSS. After all that, it works and displays nicely with scalable fonts in the Kobo. It's not as bad as it sounds since several of the steps can be done in batch mode. The irony is that much of this will probably become unnecessary after the firmware update which is due in the next few days.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote