Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Have you been mugged by Dan Brown and his publishers?

Well I feel I have!

I have wasted $10 on the worst load of drivel I have read in a long time.

With all the hype, I as I expect a lot of you did, bought *The Lost Symbol*.

I am so disappointed - (I am not going to post spoilers here as it will be unfair on others who are still reading). I have commented in other threads.

Having read as much of it as I can stomach and as the reviews start to appear I can understand why retailers, in the UK certainly, are trying to dump their stocks of the hardback whilst they can.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Now you know how your rabbit feels!

Although there was a chap on the radio who said he'd been up all night reading it -and he thought it was terrific.

He was a big cheese from Waterstones, the booksellers, but I'm sure that was purely coincidental.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
... I can understand why retailers, in the UK certainly, are trying to dump their stocks of the hardback whilst they can.
Why do you think they started to sell e-book at the same time as the paper?
Why do you think they are selling all those hardbacks for such unprecedented low prices?

"Let's dump as much as possible of this ... stuff, before people find out what they are buying"
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Maybe I am just easier to please but I like the book so far. I am only 1/3 of the way through it but it is good so far
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Ok, seriously, it's a typical Dan Brown novel, what did you expect? I've finished it, it was an ok read.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
Well I feel I have!

I have wasted $10 on the worst load of drivel I have read in a long time.

With all the hype, I as I expect a lot of you did, bought *The Lost Symbol*.

I am so disappointed - (I am not going to post spoilers here as it will be unfair on others who are still reading). I have commented in other threads.

Having read as much of it as I can stomach and as the reviews start to appear I can understand why retailers, in the UK certainly, are trying to dump their stocks of the hardback whilst they can.
Yes, we know you didn't like it. But say I was to have read one of the free Mills & Boon books that was posted about here. I would not like it. Doesn't mean that everyone else will dislike it. Have you read the other two in the Lagndon series? If so, what did you think?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Why do you think they started to sell e-book at the same time as the paper?
Why do you think they are selling all those hardbacks for such unprecedented low prices?

"Let's dump as much as possible of this ... stuff, before people find out what they are buying"
The unprecedented low prices are what the retail trade calls "loss leaders". They hope to get you into the store, and get you to buy other things as well, at prices with higher markups and better margins.

If The DaVinci Code could become an international best seller, there's no reason why The Lost Symbol shouldn't fly off the shelves. You don't expect quality literature reading Dan Brown, and your expectations aren't disappointed.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I finished it yesterday. He had me fooled with that one plot twist, I'll give him that. It wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was FAR from the worst. All this, however, is strictly MY opinion, and I don't expect anyone elses to match.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
As avid e:readers, we probably should be a little thankful to Mr. Brown's book. Has there every been a book that has brought this much attention to e:readers? everyone is carrying the story of the kindle version outselling hardcover.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
As avid e:readers, we probably should be a little thankful to Mr. Brown's book. Has there every been a book that has brought this much attention to e:readers? everyone is carrying the story of the kindle version outselling hardcover.
I second that.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I was just really angry at how Langdon had to let that little girl fall off the tower at the end. Worst ending ever!

OK just kidding, I haven't read it.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I don't feel mugged. I didn't buy or read the DaVinci code and haven't bought his newest book. I like to think I'm more picky about the trash I read -- gourmet all the way!
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I am sticking with the tried and true motto: "Fool me once (by tricking me into paying $30 for the hardcover illustrated Da Vinci Code) shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." I am so far unashamed (at least about this).

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, we know you didn't like it.
Have you read the other two in the Lagndon series? If so, what did you think?
Yes Jon I did read both Angels and demons and The Da Vinci code some four years ago.

From what I remember Angels and Demons was probably the better of the two. Though neither deserved the hype.

The Lost Symbol is by far the worst. It glaringly needs editing by a competent editor, or one without his hands tied behind his back or mouth tied with gaffer tape.

The construction of the novel is fractured to say the least, a weak plot, poor character construction, repetitive boring prose.

I am sure that the great unwashed will disagree - BUT this is only my opinion!
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote