Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
avogadro
avogadro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Non-collection books won't show up in any view

Yesterday I restarted my Kindle Paperwhite, and when it started back up all of the books on the home page had disappeared. None of the settings had been changed. They show up if I search for them, and if I move them into a collection from the search results. If I drag a book out of a collection, it disappears also. I've tried list/cover in all the viewing modes, but all I can see are my documents and collections.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just give up and reset my Kindle?
avogadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
mcardoso
mcardoso began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch - firmware 5.3.2.1 (1840090002)
I'm experiencing the same error - slightly different behavior

Hello to all.

I can confirm that I'm experiencing the same error, since yesterday (at least), with a slightly different behavior.

Events

I'm using a kindle touch. Recently I've forgotten to turn off the wifi, and a few days ago it has updated (on its own) to firmware version 5.3.2.1.
Since then I've just kept reading the same book I was on.

Yesterday, I used calibre to upload some books to the device.
When I tried to open the book inside the kindle, it was no where to be found.

Sorting by Recent:
Since I've organized collections inside the kindle, after uploading a book, I usually sort by the most recent and then assign the book to a collection.
With this sort I receive a blank screen.

Sorting by collection:
With this sort, I can only see the collections. If I "dive" inside the collection the respective books are there.
In fact with this sort, I can only see the collections.
Previously the books with no collection were shown on the end of all collections.
Now they are not there.
Not even the update letter received from amazon shows up.

Search:
I've tried to search for it, but, no luck.

Sorting by Title:
Then I've tried to sort by title, but I could not find it still.
And here it starts the different behaviours:
When sorted by title, some of the old books that were not in a collection, do show up. When sorted by collection it does not.
When sorted by title, and navigating through the 20 pages of titles, once in page 17 it takes a long time to change to page 18. Page 18 is not full with titles. Page 19 takes a long time to load and it appears empty. For page 20 the same as page 19.

Sorting by author.
With this sort, the main page, still displays the collection names as if it was sorted by collection.

Windows Explorer:
Using windows explorer, I can see the books inside the folder structure.

I believe this is some bug from the new firmware version (since I cannot see the "amazon update letter" that was received via amazon). But I cannot state it.
Can it be that amazon changed something and now calibre is not capable of uploading the books correctly?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
mcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Hi
I got in similar situation with Touch, when some books with weird formatting uploaded to my kindle.
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcardoso View Post
Hello to all.

Sorting by Recent:
Since I've organized collections inside the kindle, after uploading a book, I usually sort by the most recent and then assign the book to a collection.
With this sort I receive a blank screen.
Not even seeing your collections listed? Do you have a content filter set (All Items, Books, Docs, Active Content, etc.)? That will make the collections go away, leaving whatever content matches the filter.

Quote:

Sorting by Title:
Then I've tried to sort by title, but I could not find it still.
And here it starts the different behaviours:
When sorted by title, some of the old books that were not in a collection, do show up. When sorted by collection it does not.
When sorted by title, and navigating through the 20 pages of titles, once in page 17 it takes a long time to change to page 18. Page 18 is not full with titles. Page 19 takes a long time to load and it appears empty. For page 20 the same as page 19.

Sorting by author.
With this sort, the main page, still displays the collection names as if it was sorted by collection.
Collections should always display unless you have a content type filter set.

Quote:
Windows Explorer:
Using windows explorer, I can see the books inside the folder structure.

I believe this is some bug from the new firmware version (since I cannot see the "amazon update letter" that was received via amazon). But I cannot state it.
Can it be that amazon changed something and now calibre is not capable of uploading the books correctly?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Could be something about calibre. Make sure you have the latest version.

You could try a Restart.

And when you say page is 'blank', that should not ever happen (what happens if you tap on the blankness?). What does the page indicator say for number of pages, what does the number of items say?

I could imagine that if the metadata were corrupt, for example, you might not see title/author displayed, but there should be at least the 'reading progress' display. And the last page (when content type filter is set to My Items) should at least have 'Dictionaries' collection, unless you have no dictionaries on there. The only way I can get a blank home screen is to put everything in collections, set sort order to Collections, and then set a content filter to something other than All Items. But all the contextual stuff is consistent: the filter shows zero items, page indicator shows '1/1'.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-19-2013 at 09:39 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
mcardoso
mcardoso began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch - firmware 5.3.2.1 (1840090002)
Hello tomsem

Thanks for your reply, and please apologize for the inconvenience, because I forgot to post on this thread what I did on the following day.

I've simply reset the device to factory and reloaded all the books using calibre.

Problem was solved.

Because of that, now I cannot answer your questions.

I final feeling was some bug on the updated procedure. After resetting to factory, the firmware version was still the 5.3.2.1, and it accepted all the books displaying as formerly.

Please apologize and thanks for your reply.

best regards.
mcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The few times I have had this problem I have traced it to a particular set of steps sideloading from Calibre that had not caused a problem with any Kindle prior to the Paperwhite.

With a few books that had already been sideloaded to my PW, I decided to tweak/edit them. I connected to Calibre, deleted the book(s) from device, and then resent the newer versions and disconnected/ejected from the computer. This resulted in those titles disappearing from the PW and only accessible by doing a search to find them. Simply re-sideloading over an existing book did not work. I have now discovered that whenever I am replacing a title that is already loaded I have to connect to Calibre, delete it, then disconnect from the computer. Then, reconnect, resend the book(s) and again, disconnect. All is then normal.

I haven't a clue why this is but somehow Calibre's data file must become confused.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Kasrielle
Enthusiast
Kasrielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Bringing up an older thread because my software on the PW just updated, and all books not in a collection disappeared. They come up on a search, but otherwise don't show up at all - not under title or author. Am I going to have to reset and reload everything?? ::crap::
Kasrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Kasrielle
Enthusiast

Also, I'm connected to wifi, but nothing will download from the cloud. However, it disappears from my cloud list as if it was now on the device, but it doesn't show up...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
evirhe
evirhe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Restoring to factory settings fixed it for me. Not sure if that's the ONLY way, but at least I can see my books again. Good luck, I know it's a big pain.
evirhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #10
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
I suspect this is about a Windows virus which hides the folders via adding "system file" attribute and creates foldername.exe for each of them.

Solution: remove these tags.
you can use this .bat file for this purpose. Just copy the .bat file into Kindle and run via double click on a Windows system.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Kasrielle
Enthusiast

I did a factory reset and it fixed everything. But what a pain...
Old 06-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
evirhe
evirhe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I suspect this is about a Windows virus which hides the folders via adding "system file" attribute and creates foldername.exe for each of them.

Solution: remove these tags.
you can use this .bat file for this purpose. Just copy the .bat file into Kindle and run via double click on a Windows system.
This may be true, but I'm on a Mac, so it's not a problem unique to Windows. I'm sure lurkers will find this useful, though. Thanks!
evirhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
EvanRules
EvanRules began at the beginning.

I got the exact same problem as described by avacodo in the first post. But unfortunately for me, factory reset & updating the OS didn't fix it. After resting, I added 110 books. All 110 books showed up on the home page. Yay, I though I fixed it. Then next time I used the kindle, all books were invisible again.
EvanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like an indexing issue. Add your books a few at a time. Check that the indexing of each batch has finished before you add the next batch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
EvanRules
EvanRules began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds like an indexing issue. Add your books a few at a time. Check that the indexing of each batch has finished before you add the next batch.
Thanks for the tip Harry. I tried waiting to see the books load on the kindle before adding more. Doesn't work. What's worse is my kindle is still hiding books from me when I only have 10 or 15 books on the device.

I did a factory reset, and then put only about 10 books on my kindle. No collections. No problems yet.

Then I send 5 articles from websites to my kindle email address. I can see the articles when I login to my kindle account on the computer. But I can't see them on the kindle under "device" or "cloud". Waited 10 minutes. Nothing. Tried sync. Nothing.

Then I reboot kindle. The 5 articles have now appeared under "device", but still not "cloud". That doesn't make any sense at all.

I read one article, then go back to the home screen. Now that article is gone! I can run a search, and I can see it there (on the device, not cloud), but it's not showing on the home page anymore. (sorting by "recent" this whole time).

I think my kindle is screwed.
EvanRules is offline   Reply With Quote