Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Indianbear
Indianbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle E-Ink
1 happy guy with 2 questions: What is best setting for mobi and--

Hi Folks,

To introduce myself; I'm a senior citizen having the time of his life learning to make eBooks with Calibre.

I registered on the forum quite some time ago but what with one thing and another I didn't really get started until recently.

I would appreciate some help with two questions.

First, is there a recommended setting for mobi for best over all eBook reader compatibility? I've used the basic Kindle setting and compared it with the Kindle Fire setting, but I can't see any difference. I have a Kindle reader and a Kindle Fire HD and the eBooks seem to work perfectly on both of them. Is there any reason why I should pick one setting over the other? I'm planning on making a series of children's eBooks and I want to be sure they play well on as many readers as possible.

Second, is there a way to turn off making the zip file? I really don't need it. Can that be done? No zip?

Thanks in advance. And especially thanks for Calibre; it's great!
Indianbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianbear View Post
Hi Folks,

To introduce myself; I'm a senior citizen having the time of his life learning to make eBooks with Calibre.

I registered on the forum quite some time ago but what with one thing and another I didn't really get started until recently.

I would appreciate some help with two questions.

First, is there a recommended setting for mobi for best over all eBook reader compatibility? I've used the basic Kindle setting and compared it with the Kindle Fire setting, but I can't see any difference. I have a Kindle reader and a Kindle Fire HD and the eBooks seem to work perfectly on both of them. Is there any reason why I should pick one setting over the other? I'm planning on making a series of children's eBooks and I want to be sure they play well on as many readers as possible.

Second, is there a way to turn off making the zip file? I really don't need it. Can that be done? No zip?

Thanks in advance. And especially thanks for Calibre; it's great!
Hi!

Zip file? If you mean on Importing HTML: No!
(and you don't need to worry about it happening). Calibre stores Books. . A HTML file may not be a complete book. Some books have pictures, more than 1 HTML file, stylesheets, (Audio and Video too ), so Calibre stores the pieces into a Zip file so the don't get lost/mixed up)

Output Profile:
This is no longer Henry Fords world (Only Black ), that is why there are settings.
There are phones with tiny screens. There are monster sized tablets.
Color or 4 shades of grey (older eink) and everything in between.

IMHO picking a K2 profile should be safer. Not optimum for all newer devices. Since you don't have a portable device, why worry? You can always convert your source (HTML and EPUB are excellent source formats) to what you need 'now' .

Last edited by theducks; 03-17-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Indianbear
Indianbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle E-Ink
Hi,

Theducks, hey, I like your cat. My wife and I have been cat lovers for 37 years.

Clarification: I guess I didn't state one question correctly.

ZIP: Thanks for the insight. I got it.

OPTIMUM SETTING: The books I'm making will be offered to the general public. If I were making books just for myself, I would use the specific settings for my mobile devices.

But, as these will be offered to everyone I can't see producing a multitude of different versions to cover every eBook reader/mobile device out there. Surely there is ONE optimum setting that will give me the best coverage of the most reading devices without having to produce 15 or 20 specific versions of each book. After all, Kindle and Barnes & Noble only offer one edition of each book.

Theducks: I take your comment on the K2 setting to heart, but I'm concerned about your saying that it may not be the best for the newer devices.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? Can someone clue me in as to the best GENERAL setting for both mobi and epub books? Including the newer devices like Kindle Fire HD?

Theducks: You said I don't have a mobile device? You clued me in to the fact that I forgot to list them in my bio. I have a Kindle E-Ink and a Fire HD. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by Indianbear; 03-19-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Indianbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
bear

You are welcome.
I only tweak books to look great on my device, so I will let others weigh in on the 'Best'. part

If you do use colors, do validate how they render on your K3. Compromise )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote