Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks DustyD. I don't put music on my Fire but my apps are getting near the top. I could delete some I know. I usually only use the same few.
So, if me, the apps that I rarely use would get offloaded to my computer and also stored to external hd/cd/dve. And only load when needed? Heck , with the few apps I have, scrolling up and down finding them tells me I may have too many seeing that most that I have are "Once in a blue moon" use programs.

I am starting to wonder.

I do not trust any off site storage, everything that is digital is stored on removable media or external drives. So It will not be lost at a keystroke or electronic "Burp".

I sort of live my life by the "KISS" principle and it works for me.

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's actually looks alot like the K3 lighted case. I paid $7 for it. It's super light weight and easy to bend back for one hand holding. I love it. It's worked well in the year I've had it. I wont be paying more than $20 for a case preferably under $10. All the cases I've seen have some kind of stand built in. I really don't want that.

Right now I am looking at this case. It's the only one I've seen I kind of like. It has a hand hold too.
Nice. That's the one that I had for my KF. I thought it was great. I have that one for my GTab 2 7.0 (GTab version obviously)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
So, if me, the apps that I rarely use would get offloaded to my computer and also stored to external hd/cd/dve. And only load when needed? Heck , with the few apps I have, scrolling up and down finding them tells me I may have too many seeing that most that I have are "Once in a blue moon" use programs.

I am starting to wonder.

I do not trust any off site storage, everything that is digital is stored on removable media or external drives. So It will not be lost at a keystroke or electronic "Burp".

I sort of live my life by the "KISS" principle and it works for me.

I do that too, except for some reason I haven't backed up all of my apps on the Fire.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I have this case for the KF HD (http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Genuin...ndle+fire+case) - I had a Marware case for my v.1 KF and loved it. It has a hand strap of the cover that is very useful. The really stupid thing about it is you have to have the cover open to charge it! When the cover is closed, the ports are covered (see image 2) - NOT the case with the v.1 cover.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's mine:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...cmu_pg__header
I bought it in blue. I wasn't bold enough to buy the honey yellow and affix a Ferrari emblem.
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If it had a hand strap it would be perfect - I looked at it but opted for the case with a hand strap - I read a lot one handed and have some boisterous cats prone to jump on/off my lap - my reader must be securely anchored to my hand.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Have any of you who bought the Fire HD in 16GB sorry you didn't get the 32GB one?
I'm not. I'm one of those people who doesn't keep every single app, book, or movie on my device though. Even the K1 had more than enough storage for me.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Have any of you who bought the Fire HD in 16GB sorry you didn't get the 32GB one?
Not me. 16GB is plenty to hold side-loaded media consisting of a few properly encoded videos, a bunch of mp3 albums, tons of books, magazines, and comics, as well as a variety of apps.

That being said, if the KFHD was going to be my one and only tablet, then I would've chosen the 32GB model. I have found that 32GB is the minimum for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If it had a hand strap it would be perfect - I looked at it but opted for the case with a hand strap - I read a lot one handed and have some boisterous cats prone to jump on/off my lap - my reader must be securely anchored to my hand.
While my cats are not allowed in my bedroom I like the hand strap I have on my K4B Eco-flip case so I can see getting a case with one for the Kindle Fire. The case I have now is so flimsy that it sort of works as a hand hold. Once hubby gets the old Fire I may need to put a protector and silicon skin on it instead. He's brutal on devices.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
tjsoundguy
Enthusiast
tjsoundguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire / Touch /Paperwhite
I'd love to upgrade, but as a Mac user, it looks like Calibre won't be able to connect to the HD fires. Sadness....
tjsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsoundguy View Post
I'd love to upgrade, but as a Mac user, it looks like Calibre won't be able to connect to the HD fires. Sadness....
I never connect my KF to a Computer. I just email the books to it or use Send to Kindle. If I want to sideload a book I use Dropbox. Calibre isn't a problem.

Why keep something like that from upgrading?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsoundguy View Post
Android File Transfer works fine on the Mac. It isn't as elegant as native mass storage support, but it works just fine. It just requires manually sideloading the files.

And it might be possible to conjure up a little utility to dummy up a disk interface to AFT... ie. a little wedge driver that fools Calibre (or any other app for that matter) into thinking that AFT is a disk.

All in all, upgrading is worth the added inconvenience, IMO.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
tjsoundguy
Enthusiast
tjsoundguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire / Touch /Paperwhite
See? This is why I appreciate this group.

I've never emailed a book to myself, I've always used Calibre. Thanks for showing me another way!

I'm still wavering about upgrading - mostly due to waiting for an impending ipad mini announcement....

Thanks again, group!
tjsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well the new iPod touch is $300. I'm not counting on the price of the mini to be attractive to me.

One can tweak away with the original Fire BUT the screen and sound on the kfhd are very very nice.

Last edited by robertc88; 10-10-2012 at 10:47 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #30
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
While my cats are not allowed in my bedroom I like the hand strap I have on my K4B Eco-flip case so I can see getting a case with one for the Kindle Fire. The case I have now is so flimsy that it sort of works as a hand hold. Once hubby gets the old Fire I may need to put a protector and silicon skin on it instead. He's brutal on devices.
Blossom,

I have the Kindle FireHD and I was like you in that I had the Marware case for my Fire v1. Liked the handstrap. BUT the one thing the Amazon case has that I find to be wonderful is magnets the new FireHD uses the iPad like magnets feature to put the FireHD to sleep!

very cool!
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote