Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Story HD Mod: Notes

Hi,

Warning: This mod works fine for me, but I can't guarantee it will work for you. Use at your own risk!

This mod enables you to write Notes on your Story HD, using the built-in webbrowser. This mod requires the WebPortal to be installed also, as otherwise the webbrowser can not be used. Unfortunately, this also means that you have to have Wifi network access in order to take notes.

The Notes are stored in a folder called notes on the SD card. They are regular textfiles, so you have read-only access without Wifi, and you can easily transfer them to your PC.

To use, rename the attached hex file to storyeb07.hex and copy it to the internal memory (like a regular firmware update). It can also be uninstalled using the attached undo file.

You will also have to edit your webportal.html to include a link to the notes app. Insert the following HTML code into your webportal.html so you can actually select it in the portal:

Code:
<a href="cgi-bin/notes">Notes</a>
Regards
frostschutz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	notes.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	83636  
Attached Files
File Type: zip storyeb07-mod-Notes-2012-03-08-Mar.zip (2.9 KB, 576 views)
File Type: zip storyeb07-mod-Notes-Undo-2012-03-08-Mar.zip (674 Bytes, 596 views)
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I haven't installed any of your mods yet (still paranoid about bricking), but this sounds like the coolest yet! Very exciting; I may just do it. Thanks a bunch.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bricking is always a risk, unfortunately (even without mods). I can't give you any guarantees there, although I do try to take all possible precautions to prevent it from happening (due to my mods); for this mod it's why it only stores on SD card and not on the internal memory, and it prevents too long filenames from being created as those are known to cause hangs.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Yes, very impressive.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Hi

Just want to check something. Do these mods work on the latest US firmware?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

I'm currently using 1.29 US firmware. It should work for other versions as well though.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
vitanovision
vitanovision began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd
frostschutz, thanks for all your effort!!!
Is it possible for you to make offline notes application?
vitanovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User

I haven't found a way to put apps on the reader at all (like, no way to print something on the display or fetch keyboard input). There's a framebuffer device all right but it works only erraticaly (the browser likes to draw its background from what was written to the framebuffer but that's it).

The entire interface is a single process which uses obscure (proprietary) protocols to communicate with subprocesses which render the books and stuff. Even most binaries on this reader are in a proprietary format so it's rather hard to get a foot into the door. It also doesn't help that no one has found a debricking method yet - one mistake and the device is a brick (I already bricked one).

This is definitely one device that needs more love from hackers, but oh well. It's still good for reading either way.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Hi Frostschutz,

I tried to just copy the cgi-bin directory into both the USB memory and SD card, and put the html links like below:

<p><a href="/mnt/MOVIFAT/cgi-bin/notes">Notes 1</a></p>

<p><a href="/mnt/SDFAT/cgi-bin/notes">Notes 1a</a></p>

<p><a href="./cgi-bin/notes">Notes 2</a></p>

<p><a href="../../MOVIFAT/cgi-bin/notes">Notes 3</a></p>

But none of them work.

Is it that the cgi-bin MUST be located in /mnt/MOVIEXT2/iriver in order to run?

Is it possible to have in the install file
Code:

ln -s /mnt/MOVIFAT/cgi-bin/notes /mnt/MOVIEXT2/iriver/cgi-bin/notes
so I can put "notes" (or any other cgi) into the USB memory without goign through the updated procedure?

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
Is it that the cgi-bin MUST be located in /mnt/MOVIEXT2/iriver in order to run?
That's how this mod works, yes.

The mod does not give you the ability to run your own cgi-bins. Of course it could be done but my mods are primarily targeting end users. So I do my best to avoid any possibility of brickage in my mods. Running your own cgi bins would enable you to brick your reader easily and I don't want to be responsible for that.

If you want to get your hands dirty like that (and on your own risk) you can just use the root script method (see openinkpot wiki on story hd).

Last edited by frostschutz; 04-23-2012 at 05:03 PM.