Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Vox shutting itself off

I'm wondering if this is normal behavior. It's happened to me two or three times now (and I've had the Vox since yesterday).

I put the Vox into sleep mode by pressing the button. So there's no dialog about shutting down. If it's left in sleep mode for a few hours, I find that it doesn't wake up. When I press the on/off button to wake it up. Pressing the button a bit longer doesn't revive it. I've been holding the on/off button down for 15 seconds, releasing it, and then giving the button a quick press and it powers up as if it had been shut down.

Is this normal? Does the Vox power itself completely off if it's left in sleep mode for a long time?

I'm just getting used to this. The Vox takes a LOT more battery power than my Sony PRS 650, and I very seldom ever power off the Sony. I usually just leave it in sleep mode if I'm not reading. The Sony seems to get sluggish after a while, and when that happens, I'll power it down and restart it to give it a refresh.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I believe this is the problem that James has said will be addressed in the update. He also hinted that it would be coming sooner rather than later. The video prob is the other thing that was high priority for the update.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Yeah, it's normal. I increased my sleep duration to 10 minutes to avoid the freezes. I also decided to power it down when I figured I wouldn't be using it for that 10 minutes.

I was definitely having less freezes after I did this, too.

BUT...I discovered another problem: powering it off sometimes doesn't really 'work'. I am not sure if the Vox still thinks it's sleeping? Reason: I turned mine off last night with almost a fresh battery, and when I tried to turn it on several hours later, I got the blinking orange light letting me know that the battery was dead. WHAA? It was turned off most of the day!!!

After I charged it, I had troubles turning it back on this morning (related to the battery drain? Not sure?) and then it corrupted some of my kobo books files and I now cannot load my Kobo books library, connect to the kobo store or reading life....

Not sure if they are all related, but something tells me that keeping your battery from completely draining should be priority A1 with the Vox!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Not sure if they are all related, but something tells me that keeping your battery from completely draining should be priority A1 with the Vox!!!
And fortunately, James said it was. James also mentioned that some of the cases people use are apparently responsible for turning the Vox on again and that they are thinking about making a slightly longer press on the power button necessary to avoid those inadvertent start-ups.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Well, it happened once today when it hadn't even been sleeping that long. Oh, well...As has been said, maybe a subsequent update will fix that.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Ours often drains the battery when asleep so hopefully the update will fix that. Looking forward to it.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote