Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #61
ronnn
ronnn began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
I've just downloaded an epub file from the google library into the sony ebook library, from there to my prs-505 ... and nothing has changed : the text is not justified on the right, page number in the right margin and "strange" page numbering in the "status bar".

this is a big disappointment
ronnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #62
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Just started using the Mac version - so far, so good. I was able to re-download some titles and load them on my PRS-505. I plan to spend some time going through my Amazon wishlist and see how prices compare between Amazon and Sony (not that I couldn't have done this before, but it is nicer in a fully native environment).

Now, if Sony releases an iPhone app that syncs your location in the book with the desktop software/Reader Daily Edition (a la Whispernet), I will be ecstatic!
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #63
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnn View Post
I've just downloaded an epub file from the google library into the sony ebook library, from there to my prs-505 ... and nothing has changed : the text is not justified on the right, page number in the right margin and "strange" page numbering in the "status bar".

this is a big disappointment
I'm guessing any on-device epub justification will require a firmware update. Whether or not that is in the cards, is anyone's guess.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #64
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
I'm guessing any on-device epub justification will require a firmware update. Whether or not that is in the cards, is anyone's guess.
There's a firmware update available for the 505 now. If you go to the main page and click the new devices on the slideshow, on that page there's a link for the firmware update.

My question is, I never updated my old version, so when I open the library it still says I need to do that update. When I update that, will the new one pop up afterwards?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #65
ronnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
I figured as much. Personnaly, I don't really see the point of this new software version (for windows), considering the previous version was almost identical from my point of view.
Of course, for mac-os users, to have the ebook library software running natively is a good thing. (even if i find calibre better).
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #66
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Got the Mac version installed and registered to my PC. It looks very similar to the PC version. Granted, this app is mainly a wrapper around a web browser control... I'm surprised it took so long to put out for the Mac.

I don't like the fact that it has a package installer. But, I guess that is probably necessary to hook in a USB/Device driver type shim to support authorizing readers.

I can't test it with a reader of course, because I don't have a Sony reader any more. I was really curious if it would work with the 500... but it has a new Happy Cat owner now.

I have attached a screen shot of it here... it looks very much like the PC one above.

BOb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	355
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	34925  
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #67
ronnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
There's a firmware update available for the 505 now. If you go to the main page and click the new devices on the slideshow, on that page there's a link for the firmware update.
Are you sure ??
The only update i see is the 1.1 version,which is quite old ...
Old 08-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #68
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Well, I tried it on my xp sp3 machine and it just locks up. I was able to add my library and then view it. I tried to open a book and it just froze. It finally lets loose and goes back to the library listings. I tried half a dozen times and it just wouldn't work. It also took forever to load the software. I watched the hd light working like crazy to get it to load. It was using 99% resources and I had nothing else running. My system is a few years old, but its got a 2.41 ghz processor and 3 gigs of ram on a Asus mobo. I'll try it later after a lot of the bugs and complaints are fixed. The only new thing I saw was notes, so I just uninstalled, removed the kinoma and sony files and reinstalled the old stuff. Reloaded my library and it works like it should. The software leaves a lot to be desired and I was hoping Sony had listened to our emails, but the new one is just as bad as the old one. Oh, except I can get the old one to work. That was a wasted hour. Now to go try it out on the mac mini
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #69
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post

My question is, I never updated my old version, so when I open the library it still says I need to do that update. When I update that, will the new one pop up afterwards?
What's available on the site is still the one single firmware update with initial ePub support. No justification yet I'm afraid
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #70
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
What's available on the site is still the one single firmware update with initial ePub support. No justification yet I'm afraid
Oh ok, gotcha.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #71
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Installed Sony eBook Library 3.0.00.08240_MAC on my G3 Mac running last version of OS X Tiger. The application opens, shows a series of menus. Nothing else. No window(s), nothing. Menus appear not to work - except for quit.
Any other reports?
Speculation: I have calibre installed. could calibre be interfering?

Last edited by AprilHare; 08-25-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Correction
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #72
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Installed Sony eBook Library 3.0.00.08240_MAC on my G3 Mac running last version of OS X Tiger. The application opens, shows a series of menus. Nothing else. No window(s), nothing. Menus appear not to work.
Any other reports?
Speculation: I have calibre installed. could calibre be interfering?
No I doubt calibre would have anything to do with it. I have it installed too.

Do you have 10.4.11?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #73
Oldvjp1
Oldvjp1 began at the beginning.

Device: Red Sony 505 and Blue Sony 300
Just installed the mac version and it saw my old books. Big deal is that it saw the library book I downloaded and installed it onto my reader flawlessly!!! I am so psyched, no more running Windows off of Bootcamp to do library books, which are my main source of reading material.
Oldvjp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #74
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No I doubt calibre would have anything to do with it. I have it installed too.

Do you have 10.4.11?

BOb
Yes. Mac OS X version 10.4.11, 350 MHz G3 processor, 256 MB ram, ~2.5 GB HDD space.

Last edited by AprilHare; 08-25-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: moar
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #75
lionfish
Connoisseur
lionfish doesn't litterlionfish doesn't litter

Device: E-Book Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Got the Mac version installed and registered to my PC. It looks very similar to the PC version. Granted, this app is mainly a wrapper around a web browser control... I'm surprised it took so long to put out for the Mac.

I don't like the fact that it has a package installer. But, I guess that is probably necessary to hook in a USB/Device driver type shim to support authorizing readers.

I can't test it with a reader of course, because I don't have a Sony reader any more. I was really curious if it would work with the 500... but it has a new Happy Cat owner now.

I have attached a screen shot of it here... it looks very much like the PC one above.

BOb
For the Mac version, it stated:
Device: Works with Reader Digital Book by Sony (Models: PRS-505, PRS-700, Reader Pocket Edition and Reader Touch Edition). Not currently compatible with the PRS-500 model.
lionfish is offline   Reply With Quote