Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
What one feature would you like to see added?

I figured Id make this a more generic topic instead of specific.

The one feature I would REALLY like to see added would be software related.
I would like to have the Nook visually flag a book as "Read" when completed.

Either with a check mark, thin line across the book graphic (like pb 360 does), or even just stamp with "Read".

But also make it so you could remove the flag later on if you wanted too (helpfull for re-reading series etc.)

So whats yours?
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I'd like to be able to delete from the device. Just delete for side loaded and delete from the device and archive for purchased.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
+1 to be able to delete from device
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
gellit4
gellit4 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Better catalog all around...

I'd like to see a real catalog added or let me side-load alternate readers.

1 - As above, tag a book read.
2 - Put books in the order I want, not only by author or title.
3 - Keep several books open.
4 - Note when a book is part of a series and put the ones in the series in order.
5 - More fonts.
6 - More spacing options: it's either too little or too much.
7 - More background colors and shades.

Come on B&N, take a look at the competition and compete.

Thanks,
Gary
gellit4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Delete from device would be awesome. But, if I can only select one item, then my wish is that you could turn page refresh on or off rather than be permanently set to every 5 (or 6?) pages. Personally I want it to refresh every other page. Other people don't. Allow it to be optional like other readers do..
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Delete from device would be awesome. But, if I can only select one item, then my wish is that you could turn page refresh on or off rather than be permanently set to every 5 (or 6?) pages. Personally I want it to refresh every other page. Other people don't. Allow it to be optional like other readers do..
Pretty sure you can change that if you root.

I'd be happy if they'd fix the sideload "Page 1 of 1" issue and nothing else.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
I guess this may seem silly since there are a lot of other items I would like, but the one I would like the most is to have the time always available. Perhaps have a setting so if someone doesn't want to see the time, they don't have to. Right now, to see the time you have to click the middle of the page--which is inconvenient, I just want to be able to glance up every now and then. I believe the original Nook had that, but it was removed for the Touch.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
The ability to play MP3 audio books..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
I want my wishlist on the device to sync with my wishlist on the website.

That's all, a relatively simple thing, but it would make it soooo much easier for me to spend money. Not to mention I hate when I buy a book on the website and then it shows 'purchased' in my device wishlist... and I can't get rid of it...
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
cmkread
cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook touch
The underline function is a bit awkward with finger on ST. You have to touch the word and when it shows above, you have to lift, if you want to select the sentence/paragraph/page, etc., it's a bit awkward with finger and doesn't go to the next page if you want to continue forward, you have to select all over... begin to end on next page. I also would like to have choice of underline or highlight. And also to draw line parallell/ to left or right of text, that shows that I've underlined the entire section... without having to horizonatally underline text..
cmkread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkread View Post
The underline function is a bit awkward with finger on ST. You have to touch the word and when it shows above, you have to lift, if you want to select the sentence/paragraph/page, etc., it's a bit awkward with finger and doesn't go to the next page if you want to continue forward, you have to select all over... begin to end on next page. I also would like to have choice of underline or highlight. And also to draw line parallell/ to left or right of text, that shows that I've underlined the entire section... without having to horizonatally underline text..
I like your suggestion for highlights to extend to the next page!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, text selection could be improved. For example it can be tricky to select words on the last line with small text sizes. Or to extend selection to the last line. The select options show up and cover up the line, and often that prevents access to the text or any handles that are underneath.

And while I've seen only a spare few reading apps with touchscreen interfaces that provide a way to extend selection to adjacent pages (even iBooks doesn't, so much for Apple's UX expertise), I think this should be considered baseline functionality.

I would like to have wikipedia lookup, there are too many things that aren't in the dictionary and infinitely many words and terms that I don't have in my head. Even if it were just a popup that displayed an article summary (or give you a way to disambiguate the reference to get to a summary), with no way to launch a browser to read the full article.

I'd like to see some support for ePub3 features as well (basically anything that doesn't require JavaScript or multimedia h/w, like SVG, Content Docs, popup footnotes, vertical text).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
And while I've seen only a spare few reading apps with touchscreen interfaces that provide a way to extend selection to adjacent pages (even iBooks doesn't, so much for Apple's UX expertise), I think this should be considered baseline functionality.
My Kindle can do extended selection. I wish my other readers could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would like to have wikipedia lookup, there are too many things that aren't in the dictionary and infinitely many words and terms that I don't have in my head. Even if it were just a popup that displayed an article summary (or give you a way to disambiguate the reference to get to a summary), with no way to launch a browser to read the full article.
Yes, I miss wikipedia on my Nook. I use it quite frequently on my Sony and Kindle!

I also wish that the Nook would allow you to access the internet so you could download files like from Dropbox or Feedbooks. My Sony even allows me to download books from my Kobo account through their browser.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaInVA View Post
I guess this may seem silly since there are a lot of other items I would like, but the one I would like the most is to have the time always available.
All you have to do on the Touch is press the middle bottom.

Brings up the bar of stuff on the bottom and info at the time ( battery life / time etc )

Hope that helps
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
I would like either better side buttons, or the option to assign touch zones. When I want to hold my Nook with just my left hand, its awkward changing pages. I find the side button on my Nook not as responsive as the Kindle Keyboards are, and when my Nook is in its case, the extra bounciness of the cover means I have to push even harder.
So I'd either like better page change buttons, or the option to have both sides of the screen assigned as forward page changes. I rarely flick back so I wouldnt mind if it wasnt a one click option to go back pages.
Also a page change button along the top of the screen would be awesome, especially if I could assign its function.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote