Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
one thing I'm looking for in my next tablet is the ablility to make notes right on the screen, ie with a stylus (or finger)
I use my VOX often for knitting patterns and would love to make notes right on the page, is that an option yet. (I've seen it in other tablets in ads)
We don't support that. Sorry.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I want to buy one but they aren't here in the US. I'm going to sell my iPad 3 as soon as they are available.

I love the discovery feature. One of my favorite parts of this new device is that Tapestry UI. I can see how it would be incredibly useful for me.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
We don't support that. Sorry.
I can always dream, but thanks for your quick response.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
I can always dream, but thanks for your quick response.
No worries. I wish I had a better answer for you
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #20
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinted_tictac View Post
I stopped by my local Chapters on the weekend to play with the Arc as well as compare it side-by-side with the Nexus 7. Very impressed with the look and feel of the Arc.
[...]
Anyway, still undecided about which one to buy, but Nexus has the advantage at this point.
I'm curious, why would the Nexus have the advantage for you? Like the Nexus, the Arc is an open device; the Arc, however, is cheaper, and has front-facing speakers that easily beat anything I've heard on another tablet. There's also that Kobo supports Canadian jobs (despite Rakuten buying the company, Kobo's headquarters and most of Kobo's employees are in Canada), which is a nice bonus (since the Chapters reference suggests you live in Canada). And I think Tapestries has something to offer on the user interface front.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #21
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Quote:
Great. Discovery is only going to get better. With time.
I'm not sure how it can. I get the idea of it - but don't like the practice of it. And if it is anything like the recommendations in the Kobo store front and the way it ignores what you tell it then I expect the same thing here.

For example, I have set my preference for recommendations on the store to only recommend things based on what I've purchased/read. I've rejected many, many items. And yet it still shows me those items over again, and still brings in books that I have no idea where they got the idea I might want to read them.

So far what I have seen of the discovery bar it seems to be following the same pattern. I remove something saying I'm not interested - it comes back. One of the ones that really bugged me was when I was searching for synonyms for a word - I then got tons of recommendations for English - the language - places to learn it, books on it, even people who now spoke it. And this given that my Arc is set up in English! Makes me reluctant to do searches on it - you never know what might show up on the bar for everyone to see......

Anyway, that is my only issue with it. Mostly I love it.
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
I'm not sure how it can. I get the idea of it - but don't like the practice of it. And if it is anything like the recommendations in the Kobo store front and the way it ignores what you tell it then I expect the same thing here.

For example, I have set my preference for recommendations on the store to only recommend things based on what I've purchased/read. I've rejected many, many items. And yet it still shows me those items over again, and still brings in books that I have no idea where they got the idea I might want to read them.

So far what I have seen of the discovery bar it seems to be following the same pattern. I remove something saying I'm not interested - it comes back. One of the ones that really bugged me was when I was searching for synonyms for a word - I then got tons of recommendations for English - the language - places to learn it, books on it, even people who now spoke it. And this given that my Arc is set up in English! Makes me reluctant to do searches on it - you never know what might show up on the bar for everyone to see......

Anyway, that is my only issue with it. Mostly I love it.
Just to be clear.

Discovery has two states - cold start and user data.

Cold start mode will fill the discovery bar on first use with general interest items predefined to your location, Kobo recommendations (books) and 7digitals top 50 (music).

As you use the device discovery will be more customized to you. This customization only happens by searching against your current read (contents of the book) and anything you pin. Discovery does not keep track of what you are doing online in anyway. You would need to pin the website for discovery to find related items to the content of that website.

So Discovery searches against:

- your current read
- your location

Pinned

- books
- music
- websites
- text

etc.

Again, the only way discovery sees anything is if you pin it.

The items showing up again is being worked on as we speak.

I'm not sure how you 'Searched' for something in discovery. The only way that discovery could have done anything like you described is if you either have a book open about the english language or you pinned a website about it. Maybe you pinned search results from google? Please explain.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #23
tinted_tictac
tinted_tictac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox, Nexus 7
Quote:
Understood, just so you're clear. The discovery bar doesn't just recommend pay items. It will also scan your current and find articles and pictures etc. that are in context with your book.
Thanks for the clarification. Personally, I would just prefer not to have that and would like the option to de-activate it that's all.
tinted_tictac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm a frequent reader of Good E-Reader and in their recent review of the Arc they had high praise for it scoring a 9/10. The article can be found here.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Quote:
Just to be clear.

Discovery has two states - cold start and user data.

Cold start mode will fill the discovery bar on first use with general interest items predefined to your location, Kobo recommendations (books) and 7digitals top 50 (music).

As you use the device discovery will be more customized to you. This customization only happens by searching against your current read (contents of the book) and anything you pin. Discovery does not keep track of what you are doing online in anyway. You would need to pin the website for discovery to find related items to the content of that website.

So Discovery searches against:

- your current read
- your location

Pinned

- books
- music
- websites
- text

etc.

Again, the only way discovery sees anything is if you pin it.

The items showing up again is being worked on as we speak.

I'm not sure how you 'Searched' for something in discovery. The only way that discovery could have done anything like you described is if you either have a book open about the english language or you pinned a website about it. Maybe you pinned search results from google? Please explain.
I was searching on google (for a crossword puzzle clue). And I have only pinned a couple of items so far. I'm not sure where it got the English items if it wasn't using my search in google to base things on.

I will wait to make a final decision on it once the items showing up again issue has been corrected. Right now all I have is books showing up - and the majority are ones that I have already read, but they don't disappear....

Thanks for your responses.
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #26
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Welcome to the forums, Robin!

I just caved and ordered a 32GB Arc from Indigo. I'll let you know if I have any questions after it arrives (it's slated to be shipped in 1-2 weeks.)

For those who are on the fence, they're offering a $20 gift card if you order an Arc before November 25.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #27
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
So how does the screen on the Arc compare to the Vox?
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #28
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedenim View Post
So how does the screen on the Arc compare to the Vox?
The Vox has a lower resolution screen. If I remember correctly the Vox had a screen resolution of 1024x600 and the Arc has a HD screen with 1280x800 resolution.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
I was searching on google (for a crossword puzzle clue). And I have only pinned a couple of items so far. I'm not sure where it got the English items if it wasn't using my search in google to base things on.

I will wait to make a final decision on it once the items showing up again issue has been corrected. Right now all I have is books showing up - and the majority are ones that I have already read, but they don't disappear....

Thanks for your responses.
No problem, that's why I'm here.

BTW, if you tap on a Discovery item it open what we call 'Spotlight View' from there there is a tab with a chain link icon. That will show up on any item that is related to a pinned item. Anything else is just popular links based on geography or popular items (books and music). The more you pin the more customized it will become.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Welcome to the forums, Robin!

I just caved and ordered a 32GB Arc from Indigo. I'll let you know if I have any questions after it arrives (it's slated to be shipped in 1-2 weeks.)

For those who are on the fence, they're offering a $20 gift card if you order an Arc before November 25.
Yes! That's the deal I have been telling everyone about. Welcome to the show!