Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #31
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Yeah, but it is limited to the UK I believe.
There is still a lack of reading material in non-English languages, particularly in backlists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Belgium, Brussels. You'd think in a big city you would have a choice of all kinds of ereaders but they are not that popular. Mostly Sony and Bookeen.
That is odd. You would think that if they do it in the UkK, they must believe it's a good thing and do it everywhere.

Still, a good reason to visit the beautiful UK
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
AnemicOak
As do Office Depot and Office Max, J&R, MicroCenter, & Radio Shack. Probably others too, but that's what I can think of right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I didn't know Office Depot and Office Max were still operating.
In my area of operation we still have Office Depot, Staples, Best Buy, and Radio Shack within 15 miles. Of course the Walmart is only about 3 miles.

About 40 or so miles away is a Office Max. I actually like that store. It used to be in the 15 mile area.

There is only one big book store nearby. A BAM within 15 miles B&N is about 50 miles away.

Of course Ingles, Bilo, CVS and other grocery stores and pharmacies have some books. Dollar stores of various kinds have $1.00, $1.25 books, some hardbound.

There is a campus college book store and a used book store nearby. Parking is too difficult for the college book store to be of much use. The used book store stinks of that mold and mildew smell from old paper books, and their prices for buying used books makes it not worthwhile to bother. Even Science Fiction. I only went once, well twice to pick up a pitiful check.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #33
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
How important do you think having a variety of different re-sellers like Walmart is?
I don't think it's very important, except at the margins. People looking for a kindle are, obviously, people who can buy online, so I don't think the absence of a B&M retailer will be a big deal.

The exception might be for people who are buying the K. as a gift - while the giftee may be comfortable with ordering online, the giftor may not be. Still, I don't think a Kindle is really an impulse present.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #34
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Interesting. Actually, I was in Walmart yesterday, if anything, it looked like they were preparing to get the new Kindle lineup in. They had moved all Nook devices into a display of their own, somewhat dimly lit, I might add, but the other, brightly lit case had a poster in the back featuring the new Kindle line, and all old Kindle models were gone with the brackets that held them empty.

Then I saw this thread, so maybe not.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #35
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Walmart sold kindles?

I should get out more...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #36
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Interesting. Actually, I was in Walmart yesterday, if anything, it looked like they were preparing to get the new Kindle lineup in. They had moved all Nook devices into a display of their own, somewhat dimly lit, I might add, but the other, brightly lit case had a poster in the back featuring the new Kindle line, and all old Kindle models were gone with the brackets that held them empty.

Then I saw this thread, so maybe not.
One day I'm driving to work. It's a little more than an hour of a commute and I listen to the radio. All morning the air waves are filled with announcements about a new computer store. I head over after work to check out the grand opening festivities and find a crew working on the sign over the front door. Turns out they were taking it down. The store closed the day it opened. Corporate had decided to sell the store even as the employees were preparing for a grand opening.

I can definately see people in Walmart working on a sales plan that features products corporate decided not to carry.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #37
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I don't think it's very important, except at the margins. People looking for a kindle are, obviously, people who can buy online, so I don't think the absence of a B&M retailer will be a big deal.

The exception might be for people who are buying the K. as a gift - while the giftee may be comfortable with ordering online, the giftor may not be. Still, I don't think a Kindle is really an impulse present.
They can definitely be impulse buys, which is probably why so many bricks & mortar stores stock them (at least, in the UK); I impulse bought one for my parents, although I had wandered by for a few weeks considering buying them one. I probably wouldn't have bothered to order them one from Amazon, as it wouldn't have fit in with my impulse urge.

I've also been tempted to buy a Kindle Touch from a store for myself, walking passed the stand on numerous occasions. I want a Paperwhite now, so will have to go down the internet route, but if I'd bought a Touch it would have been on impulse in a store rather than having to waiting 48 looooong hours for an internet order!
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #38
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
In my Walmart no one would know the kindles and nooks were there if they did not look for them. They have them locked away in the bottom of a display case. If you do find them, all you could see is the box they came from the factory in.

There is an ipad on display. Locked in a case so all you can do is look at it. You cannot play with it.

No wonder they are not selling.
Sounds just like my local walmart. The display ipad is such a joke.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #39
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I can definately see people in Walmart working on a sales plan that features products corporate decided not to carry.
I can see that happening too. It is a pity though, as Walmart is the only place in town to carry any e-readers. I suppose it is good news for B&N, since anyone looking for a reader locally see the Nook models with no competition around.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #40
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I supose you are right graycyn, however I think that readers who want a kindle will get that even if it means going on-line even if its not available locally.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #41
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I supose you are right graycyn, however I think that readers who want a kindle will get that even if it means going on-line even if its not available locally.
I agree, anyone who has Kindle on the brain will know they can get it easily online. But for those who are simply shopping for a quick gift, they might not be so picky. So, as I say, a possible plus for B&N. Depends on what else they might put in the old Kindle case though.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
That is odd. You would think that if they do it in the UkK, they must believe it's a good thing and do it everywhere.

Still, a good reason to visit the beautiful UK
Well, today I went to a big shop where they sell computers, books and what not (Fnac) and they had Kobo Touch on display. I could fiddle with it first time ever. Didn't like it too much. Apart from that only Sony T2 and Cybook Opus. And that shop is huuuuuge.

Ah, UK. If I could leave Belgium for good I'd go there in a heartbeat...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #43
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I was looking at two Walmart catalogs on Tuesday, and noticed that they have a big selection of long guns. Several assault type rifles, 5.56 caliber which is a mil type cartridge, 30 round clips.
Most people that go to WalMart don't even know how to read.. so Walmart says this is not for us.. LOL.. they did the market research.. plus Walmart does not except food stamps for electronic items.. so that leaves 80% of Walmart shoppers out of the market for Hi Tech items..
Doug

Last edited by MrDoug; 09-28-2012 at 11:06 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #44
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Most people that go to WalMart don't even know how to read.. so Walmart says this is not for us.. LOL.. they did the market research.. plus Walmart does not except food stamps for electronic items.. so that leaves 80% of Walmart shoppers out of the market for Hi Tech items..
Doug
Glass houses, man, glass houses...
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #45
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Glass houses, man, glass houses...
That was writing though, he never said they couldn't write
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote