Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you pay more for a gadget made under better conditions?
I would pay 50% more for a gadget made in my own country 17 18.89%
I would pay 50% more for a gadget certified to be made under ethical conditions 15 16.67%
I would pay more, but 50% is outrageous 36 40.00%
I like my gadgets cheap 20 22.22%
I think these poll options are terrible 16 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
What would you pay for a gadget made under better conditions?

Apple is getting a lot of heat for conditions at the Foxconn factory, but Foxconn also supplies parts to Amazon and B&N, among many others.

Are gadgets too cheap?

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...logy&emc=cta1#

Would you pay more for a phone, tablet, or ereader that was made in your own country, or that was certified to be made under ethical conditions?

Poll coming, please be patient.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
No, but I do pay more for some items of quality made in my country (America).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
No, but I do pay more for some items of quality made in my country (America).
+1

Even if the company claims to be making gadgets under better conditions how would I know they are telling the truth? I watched a documentary a while back showing young kids in India staying out of school and hand stitching soccer balls together that said on the ball something to the effect of "This ball was not made using child labor."
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Penforhire, what kinds of things do you pay more to be made in the USA?

I don't know what kind certification would exist, I just know that something like this exists for coffee and other items. And I don't know if the existing certifications for coffee and other things are real or bogus. So the safest would be "made in the USA" but that would also be the most expensive.

So would you do it? How much would you pay for a made-in-the-USA Kindle (or ereader of your choice)?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Apple isn't the only one using Foxconn. They should all be taking heat.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apple isn't the only one using Foxconn. They should all be taking heat.
Apache
Foxconn produces all the Kindles and Pocketbooks, too.

Yes, I would pay more for something made in my country, although I'm not sure how much exactly.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I would pay more. I'd be inclined to pay even more if it were made here in the homeland, but I'd probably have to stretch out my purchases of certain gadgets (unless they were absolutely must-haves) to make the dollar go a bit further.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I would be willing to pay more, but not as much as 50%.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Elemeno, a few examples are my dress shoes (Allen Edmonds) and cars (C5 Corvette Z06 and a Chevy Traverse). My home desktop PC is a monster put together by a local company (out of mostly foreign parts, lol). I'm not blindly patriotic. I also own some Mephisto shoes (European made) and owned a Honda S2000 before switching to my Traverse.

I'd love to buy an American motorcycle but neither Harley nor Buell offered the best of what I wanted (I ride a BMW R1200RT these days, Yamaha FJR1300 before that).

When I buy major items, say a large kitchen appliance, I usually make an effort to see if it makes sense to buy American or not. I will pay some extra for top quality/peformance made-in-America but not an absurd amount more.

Part of the deal, for me, is that I work for an American electronics manufacturing company. We're multi-national but still have (dwindling) American presence. I took pride that one of my parts, a sensor, was in my Corvette. I'm not a union type, never was, but I still want to support American made where I can. Getting harder and harder though.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i would be willing to pay more for items made in their brands' respective countries and under ethical conditions, but perhaps not as much as 50%. unfortunately, many still want products as cheap as they can get them (for various reasons) and that in part helps perpetuate the abuse of people living in developing countries. it's a whole complicated mess, all right

Last edited by wyndslash; 02-10-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: grammatical error
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
Even if the company claims to be making gadgets under better conditions how would I know they are telling the truth?
Of course, no reason. Ignore what the company says unless endorsed by an independent source without an ax to grind. The only plausible umpire is the much maligned mainstream dead-tree media.

From the New York Times:

In China, Human Costs Are Built Into an iPad
Quote:
Executives at multiple suppliers, in interviews, said that Hewlett-Packard and others allowed them slightly more profits and other allowances if they were used to improve worker conditions.

“Our suppliers are very open with us,” said Zoe McMahon, an executive in Hewlett-Packard’s supply chain social and environmental responsibility program. “They let us know when they are struggling to meet our expectations, and that influences our decisions.”
It's true that you can also find articles on the net documenting other than ideal conditions for HP workers. But, from what I read, the umps are saying that Apple tends to be more bad, and HP less bad.

And guess what? HP is, in my experience, cheap. Their printers cost a little more, but their desktop computers are as inexpensive as anyone's. This shows that the cost of treating your suppliers well (at least by the standards of the locality they live in) is way less than fifty percent more. The cost may be zero because of their trying harder satisfy you. It's worth repeating the obvious -- Apple's history shows the lack of any substantial connection between treating people poorly and low prices.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
MichelleR
Just Me.
MichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, Nook Touch
I picked ethical conditions. I would also have a preference for made in America, but wherever it's made, I'd be willing to support monetarily the workers being treated well.
MichelleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I would do without until the price of the ethically made device comes down to close to what the unethically made device is going for.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i would be willing to pay more for items made in their brands' respective countries and under ethical conditions, but perhaps not as much as 50%. unfortunately, many still want products as cheap as they can get them (for various reasons) and that in part helps perpetuate the abuse of people living in developing countries. it's a whole complicated mess, all right
Similar feelings, if not the same. I don't care where it's made as long as there is ethical treatment to the employees but I wouldn't want to pay 50% more than I already do. But then again, I do pay 50% more or even double to get locally grown honey, eggs and other foods so maybe I would be willing if it actually happened.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I have visited perhaps a 1000 factories in China over more than 20 years. Not Foxconn or other electronics companies, but factories producing other items.

I must say that those reports are way overblown. Workers have to work hard, but they are paid very well by local standards and minimum working hours are being implemented (the customers of the factories check that very thoroughly, as well as safety standards and general working conditions).

Workers in China have their pick of places to work at these days, so treating them well and paying well is a necessity. The workers have come a long long way very quickly. If one factory works people too hard or don't pay enough they just go next door, where they will be welcomed with open arms.

The only factories that still do mistreat workers are small, locally owned and locally run, selling extremely cheap products (we are talking those 75 $ Android tablets and $5 shoes here). If you want to make good products you need good workers who stay at your company. And that means good pay and a good working environment.

Of course, these are factories, you can't goof off at an assembly line. But the workers choose to go to Foxconn, they could easily go to work at many other places. That alone proves that they don't feel mistreated.

Last edited by HansTWN; 02-11-2012 at 04:12 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote