Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Decorated cover for Sony reader

I like the functionality of the brown cover that comes with the reader, but I thought it was a little plain. I wanted to decorate the cover to make it a little "prettier" and to make it easier to tell which is the front cover when I'm opening it. I found a design I liked, cut it out as a stencil, then applied it with brown Sharpies. I'll try to attach a picture of the result.

The Sharpie seems to be holding up well on the cover. It's not fading or rubbing off with handling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-after.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	769.1 KB
ID:	9966  
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Nice, very nice.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, RWood!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, I do agree that it looks very nice.

Good idea too. Maybe I'll try it on 505's blue cover if I can find something I like enough. What color would go well?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, I do agree that it looks very nice.

Good idea too. Maybe I'll try it on 505's blue cover if I can find something I like enough. What color would go well?
Thanks, JSWolf.

I haven't seen a blue cover, but I imagine it would be a dark blue. Depending on how dark, there may not be a Sharpie color that would show up well. Perhaps black, which I think might give a good contrast if the blue isn't too dark.

There are special silver and gold Sharpies, either of which would look great on dark blue, but those colors are more like a metallic paint. The metallics lay on the surface instead of getting down into the vinyl like the normal Sharpies. I've used the metallics, but they do rub off the harder plastics I've used them on. I don't know how they'd hold up on a softer vinyl.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Like Janet, I was thinking of silver for the dark blue.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
stxopher
Nameless Being

Must be to many years of tabletop Mech games but I always end up pairing blues/blacks with red. Though to be honest, what's good for a Crusader probably wouldn't be good for a book cover.

Well, unless you're reading a LOT of Drake and Ringo.

(Now that I think about it, most of my color pairings are industrial in design. I gotta get new lines of work and recreation. Even my computer case is yellow/black!)
Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does Sharpie make a pen in white? Yellow might do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does Sharpie make a pen in white? Yellow might do.
You can see the Sharpie colors at www.sharpie.com. The normal permanent Sharpies are not opaque colors, so the yellow wouldn't show up on the dark blue. They do offer some oil-based paint Sharpies that they say are permanent and opaque on virtually any surface. In the oil-based line, they do have white, yellow, silver, and gold.

They also offer many of those colors in water-based paint, so perhaps the silver I used was water-based and that's why it wasn't permanent for me.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Wonderful !
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
I actually like the brown cover, but it needs a little character. I was thinking of hitting it with the same oil you put on baseball gloves, then distressing it a little with steal wool or something. Dunno.
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
Aurora W
Addict
Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, iPad, Nexus 7
Nice design! This is something I may have to try - once I find a replacement cover and a design I like.

Have you tried anything besides the Sharpies? I was wondering if a paint pen (say from a craft store) might work on this type of material.
Aurora W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora W View Post
Nice design! This is something I may have to try - once I find a replacement cover and a design I like.

Have you tried anything besides the Sharpies? I was wondering if a paint pen (say from a craft store) might work on this type of material.

Thanks. No, I've only tried the Sharpies. My husband and daughter liked my design so much, they had me put the same design on their readers as well. I didn't get to try any new ideas out on their covers.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Pretty cooooool, man! You should check out the tragically under-browsed thread in here where I showed off the cover modification design I did, as it's somewhat related.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #15
buddha_mjs
buddha_mjs began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
i really want to do something like this to my dark blue cover.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9517609
since i dont have a laser cutter i will have to improvise somehow.
buddha_mjs is offline   Reply With Quote