Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Strong rumours Ipad 2 could be available by Christmas

Reported on My Digital Life and several other sources:

"If you are (an) Apple’s iPad lover but think that its weight is too heavy to be carried around, the recent rumor of having a 7-inch smaller size iPad seems to get solid confirmation with reliable source from Taiwan. Economic Daily News, a major newspaper publisher in Taiwan has recently disclosed a few potential vendors that are already working on iPad 2 with its targeted availability date by end of this year or early of next year ...

... preliminary specifications indicated that the next generation iPad will be much lighter with merely 1.1 pounds (versus 1.5 pounds for existing model) thanks to its smaller panel at diagonal 7-inch as compared to 9.7-inch for current iPad. However, it will be redesigned with much powerful ARM Cortex-A9 (current version is based on Cortex-A8 architecture) with 512MB memory RAM with unknown storage capacity."

Looks interesting, and possibly a way to bring down the entry barrier for those who find the current Ipad just too expensive (at least, here in the UK)
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
This strikes me as a good idea. It's essentially selling the iPod touch functionality at a range of different screen sizes. I'd expect such an early release of the smaller model to be pretty similar in capability to the current iPad, with a simultaneous update for Facetime etc. next year at both size points. It will be interesting to see what size suits people most. I found the iPad a bit heavy in its current incarnation, but a smaller one might be a better weight/size trade-off for me.

It will be interesting to see whether we get an iPod Touch 4 with Facetime this Autumn.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Whilst I don't doubt a smaller version will be offered sometime, I'd be amazed if we see it at Christmas - that's way too early in the product cycle to be adding a new model IMO. Let's be honest, there's no shortage of people ready and willing to stump up the asking price for the current iPad (which hasn't been rolled out to all countries yet either) so why would Apple give them the option of paying less - makes no business sense.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It might make sense if they have an ipod touch at the £150 point, this midi-ipad at the £300 point and the big-ipad at the £450 point. A lot of people can't really stretch to £500 (or can't justify doing so), while £300 (or £299) seems more reasonable.

So, I don't think it's impossible, but time will tell.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can certainly see a 7" screen being popular. It's a nice size for reading or watching video, and would be considerably more portable than the current 9.7".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Well then I am happy I bought now If I wanted a smaller size, I would use my iPod Touch. I like the bigger screen for showing Powerpoint and video to my students. I can just turn the screen around to face them and they can see.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I like the large screen too. I really can't see a 7" model replacing the current 9.7" - I'd see it as an extra model in the range, fitting between the iPod Touch/iPhone and the current iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Ben Thornton
Guru

I'm sure that's right - they wouldn't introduce the current model, sell more than they can make, and then replace it. But they might introduce another model to broaden the range of options.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I like the large screen too. I really can't see a 7" model replacing the current 9.7" - I'd see it as an extra model in the range, fitting between the iPod Touch/iPhone and the current iPad.
I'm not sure I would have rushed out to get the original iPad if it were a 7" tablet, actually-one of the big selling points for me was the 9.7" screen.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I'm a wee tiny bit dubious about it myself, given I think the current size of the screen is one of the main points. I like the idea, but I'm not sure it's practical - unless this is a genuine foray towards serving the specific e-reading market with something more book-sized. But I'm fairly sure it isn't, given Apple's interest in multitasking over single-use devices.

On the other hand, it isn't like Apple have never made mistakes before.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Ben Thornton
Guru

I'm not sure that it would be a mistake. For me, it would be attractive as a giant ipod, but not so giant as the ipad.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
I'm a wee tiny bit dubious about it myself, given I think the current size of the screen is one of the main points. I like the idea, but I'm not sure it's practical - unless this is a genuine foray towards serving the specific e-reading market with something more book-sized. But I'm fairly sure it isn't, given Apple's interest in multitasking over single-use devices.

On the other hand, it isn't like Apple have never made mistakes before.
Well not for everybody, for me 9.7 + bezel was a deterrent. It made it a non-portable for me. And for non-portable 9.7 is tiny. Now 7" makes it movable for me and the only question is will 1.1 pound be ok with me, since it that's not such a big drop from 1.5.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Meh. I'll wait for the second gen, 9.7 inch before I jump in.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
One of my criteria for ereader or tablet is it has to fit inside my purse; the current 10" iPad doesn't and I'm not going to get a backpack size purse just to slink around. Tablets similar to my nook is the ideal size for me. I think the 7" tablet will have a good market since it represents a good trade off between portability and screen size.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I'd be interested in a 6-7" device, although 1.1 lbs is still heavy for a handheld device (but I'd find the Nook's 12.1 oz heavy if it weren't for an easel case!).

Although, now that I've got an e-Ink device, i rarely read on my iPhone anymore, since the e-Ink screen is easier on my eyes. I can get 2-3x the reading done on an e-Ink with a clip light before my eyes start to water.

It's too bad you can't turn the backlight off on an LCD and have it be as clear as a an e-Ink, and read with an external light. Then you really could have the best of both worlds.

ETA: Apple's release cycle for product is usually January and July, so January 2011 is likely, and 1 year from the iPad's announcement.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote