Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Letter to Sony requesting LRF format

I was considering writing a letter to Sony requesting that they publish the LRF format and open it up. I think this letter would have a greater chance of success if it was authored by the developers of this forum instead of just by me.

Are any of you interested in co-authoring this letter with me? I'm hoping to get enough of a buy-in so that we can hostly sign the document something like "The Sony Reader developer community".

Thoughts?
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
One of the suggestions I've given in response to their BBeB content beta program was to publish the specs of the binary LRF format. (They're pretty slow in responding, though.)

The specs for the XML-based LRS format are already public, but those require the Xylog parser DLL to be converted to LRF and the DLL is not yet officially available.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
But if they publish the specs then what will we do for entertainment on weekends?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
One of the suggestions I've given in response to their BBeB content beta program was to publish the specs of the binary LRF format. (They're pretty slow in responding, though.)
I'd never heard of that program before now. Is there a way to request participation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
The specs for the XML-based LRS format are already public, but those require the Xylog parser DLL to be converted to LRF and the DLL is not yet officially available.
Yeah, I saw this and have found the document useful in understanding what's going on in the document from a high level. However, I believe that the Xylog parser DLL that everybody's using is an old one that suffers from the following limitations:
  • I believe it has problems creating large files.
  • It's slow.
  • When there's an error it's very difficult to figure out what's wrong with the LRS.
  • It's a native Windows DLL
  • I doubt that Sony really allows anybody to redistribute that DLL as part of their product. I haven't found anything anywhere that says one way or ther other just yet.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
But if they publish the specs then what will we do for entertainment on weekends?
Look at all the Python code you get to write then
Advert
Old 01-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmumford
I'd never heard of that program before now. Is there a way to request participation?
Well, it's been a while since I received the docs and tools. Not sure if you can still sign up now. (PM me for the e-mail address.) It's my understanding that the BBeB information will be made public later, but don't hold me to that.

Quote:
Yeah, I saw this and have found the document useful in understanding what's going on in the document from a high level. However, I believe that the Xylog parser DLL that everybody's using is an old one that suffers from the following limitations:
  • I believe it has problems creating large files.
  • It's slow.
  • When there's an error it's very difficult to figure out what's wrong with the LRS.
  • It's a native Windows DLL
  • I doubt that Sony really allows anybody to redistribute that DLL as part of their product. I haven't found anything anywhere that says one way or ther other just yet.
It may, indeed, be an older version with some issues.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I was considering writing a letter to Sony requesting that they publish the LRF format and open it up. I think this letter would have a greater chance of success if it was authored by the developers of this forum instead of just by me.

Are any of you interested in co-authoring this letter with me? I'm hoping to get enough of a buy-in so that we can hostly sign the document something like "The Sony Reader developer community".

Thoughts?
If you're just asking for a petition of names, count me in. Probably wouldn't be of much use in the general coding but I do have some experience dealing with various image formats for the picture content.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

Device: Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Thoughts?
I think it's not necessary; binary LRF format now totally (OK, probably on 99%) clear. Two russian guys wrote a two different lrs2lrf converters; not a python but native Win32 executables. I don't know about their plains to post/open sources for programs but you can ask.

Here is the url (you should translate thread from Russian to English using bablefish or other on-line translators): http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...?p=65125#65125
SeNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
obelix
Connoisseur
obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
[*]It's slow.[*]When there's an error it's very difficult to figure out what's wrong with the LRS.[/list]
Both are already solved. There are two "homemade" parsers available (both are working 30-100 times faster than XYLogParser:

1st works for Reader (by <-=AlexXF=-), but not for Librie:
http://www.mailutilities.com/lrsparser.zip

2nd, for both Reader and Librie:
http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/MSH_LRSParser.zip

There ia a lrfFIX program that fixes LRF files created with XYLogParser, the problem was in improper calculation of xOr key for scrampling by XYLogParser.

http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/fixLRF.exe

Book Designer with new parsers becomes almost perfect solution for LRF books, with 2 clicks the LRF book can be created in less than a minute from html, rtf, txt, doc, fb2, rb,...

Check here:
http://www.bookdesigner.org/wordpress/

New version with sizable books is expected soon (we all hope).
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I agree: no need to bother Sony.

I'll finish upgrading my Java parser code to Sony Reader level and post the source.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote