Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #16
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I think he means directly manipulating the sqlite database; we haven't seen complete specs on primary and foreign keys and field values and what they mean to the rest of the software.
If that's what they meant, then I'm not sure "basic instructions/setup information" is going to help.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The Kobo firmware definitely has some bugs but it's far better than when the eSlick was released. Most books were unreadable because of the way the firmware parsed the words and punctuation. At least with the Kobo there is a workaround with the font size issue.

The firmware update for the eSlick fixed most of the readability issues *but* the firmware installer only works on 32 bit Windows PCs. No 64 bit Windows, Mac or Linux. I actually had to go to a friend's house to use their older 32 bit Windows laptop to update the firmware on the eSlick.

I, too, was told in an email that the firmware update for the Kobo would be released this week.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
[QUOTE=TallMomof2;916121]...*but* the firmware installer only works on 32 bit Windows PCs. No 64 bit Windows, Mac or Linux. I actually had to go to a friend's house to use their older 32 bit Windows laptop to update the firmware on the eSlick...QUOTE]

I run Win7_64bit and I set up XP32 under free VMplayer to deal with these kinds of issues. (I have some very old hardware where the drivers only run under win98. VMplayer fixed that too.)
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #19
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
I think he means directly manipulating the sqlite database; we haven't seen complete specs on primary and foreign keys and field values and what they mean to the rest of the software.
I don't know; I've directly manipulated the database, at least to get rid of the free books and put some of the bookmarks where I wanted them to be. I'm no expert, but I don't seem to have done any damage.

darkadept has got the db specs pretty well nailed down: http://wiki.durbn.net/koboko/index.php/DBSchemaV2
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
[QUOTE=techie42;916295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
...*but* the firmware installer only works on 32 bit Windows PCs. No 64 bit Windows, Mac or Linux. I actually had to go to a friend's house to use their older 32 bit Windows laptop to update the firmware on the eSlick...QUOTE]

I run Win7_64bit and I set up XP32 under free VMplayer to deal with these kinds of issues. (I have some very old hardware where the drivers only run under win98. VMplayer fixed that too.)
I tried running the firmware updater in Windows XP Mode and it didn't work.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #21
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Here's a video about tech support for books (funny):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR...layer_embedded
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #22
karenv
karenv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader, iPhone
Bypassing Kobo software for Digital Editions? I've found phone support good and email support reeeeeeally bad.
karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #23
Kobo_Marc
Kobo_Marc began at the beginning.

Hi Folks,

Well, I'm giving up with the Kobo ereader. Will ask for a full refund tomorrow, hope they don't give me a hard time at the store.
I had nothing but trouble since I purchased this ereader.
Today, I was reading 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and cannot read pass Chapter 20 This is an excellent book!!!

I do like the eInk technology of eBooks maybe I will try other eReaders.

Thanks

Marc
Kobo_Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 AM   #24
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo_Marc View Post
Today, I was reading 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and cannot read pass Chapter 20
Perhaps it's a problem with your epub, not the Kobo Reader? Have you checked the epub for errors?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #25
Kobo_Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
Perhaps it's a problem with your epub, not the Kobo Reader? Have you checked the epub for errors?
Not sure what the problem might be but I can read the book on my pc with the Adobe Digital Edition with no problem.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Posting a reply from Kobo email support:
Quote:
Milos Kral, May 25 15:54 (EDT):

We were told that a firmware update would be released by the end of last
week.... yet here we are at the start of this new week, and still
without any update or any official statements from the Kobo Team...

Can you please make some kind of official, public statement regarding
the upcoming update. Many of us purchased the eReader on a good faith
basis that updates would be released under an Agile methodology..... and
are now beginning to doubt your sincerity
They Responded:
Quote:
Alicia Chung, May 26 10:26 (EDT):

Hi Milos,

We apologize for your frustration. We would like to provide a definitive date for the release of our update but at this time we can only aim for a mid-June window. Most of the issues in the update have been resolved, however we are still going through testing to make sure that the update functions correctly. We are attempting to provide quality of resolution vs. a quick rollout.

We appreciate your understanding. Keep an eye out on our website for updates!

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #27
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Quote:
Hi Folks,

Today, I was reading 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and cannot read pass Chapter 20 This is an excellent book!!!
I purchased, downloaded and read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with no problems on my Kobo, must be the copy you have vs. the Kobo itself.

Last edited by Gordo29; 05-26-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #28
Kobo_Marc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Well, I'm giving up with the Kobo ereader. Will ask for a full refund tomorrow, hope they don't give me a hard time at the store.
I had nothing but trouble since I purchased this ereader.

I do like the eInk technology of eBooks maybe I will try other eReaders.

Thanks

Marc
Good news!!! I just received my replacement Kobo eReader and everything is perfect!!!!!

No font problem.
All my chapters are in there (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
I even downloaded the Kobo Desktop Sofware and everything went well.

Marc
Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #29
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
@Marc - What Software Revision do you have now?

Press Menu and then select Settings, and you will find it.

Thanks - Pholy
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #30
Kobo_Marc

Quote:
@Marc - What Software Revision do you have now?

Press Menu and then select Settings, and you will find it.

Thanks - Pholy
Hi Pholy,

Software Version: 1.0 (Mar 29 2010)
Revision: 58

I think it's still the original version.

Marc