Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
nguyeng
nguyeng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
Kindle can not restart after installing unicode font hack!

I have applied unicode hack with MsMincho font (japanese font) and did not happy with it. I deleted the files appeared in the root directory (except Audible, Documents, music) before uninstalling the font. Now my devices can not restart, it says your kindle needs repair. I have tried the recovery mode and copy the uninstall bin file into it but it says the update is failed. I contacted the custommer services but I can not do anything because it is violation of user term. Do anyone have any advice? Thank you very much.
nguyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
In the same place. Had successful install and uninstalls, but now stuck. I can enter the Recovery Mode, but no update BIN files are present.
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
nguyeng
nguyeng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
Well, in recovery mode you can connect it to pc under usb mode and copy bin files and restart. If it is still ok, it will be updated by the bin file. If it cannot, then it is nearly the worst situation. In such case, may be you should try serial console. (I tried the console but could not do any thing. I am totally foreign to the console).
nguyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyeng View Post
Well, in recovery mode you can connect it to pc under usb mode and copy bin files and restart. If it is still ok, it will be updated by the bin file. If it cannot, then it is nearly the worst situation. In such case, may be you should try serial console. (I tried the console but could not do any thing. I am totally foreign to the console).
The problem is that no one has the formats of the restore updates. Strike that -- the format is likely the same as normal, except with an "FB" instead of "FC" and it will likely require an image to overwrite your root filesystem with -- the restore updates don't run scripts. It's not worth the dangers involved for anyone with a functioning Kindle to test, but if yours is bricked, then it might be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge777 View Post
In the same place. Had successful install and uninstalls, but now stuck. I can enter the Recovery Mode, but no update BIN files are present.
If you're on a K2I or a KDX, and you installed the screensaver hack, then you could still be in luck. It has the ability to execute a shell script named "emergency_rescue.sh" in your usb partition before it tries to load framework. This is where you'd create a script like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mntroot rw
fix the fonts (and or font.properties) you broke
mntroot ro
And then let the kindle try to boot normally (no holding the home button). If you didn't install the screensaver hack, or another anti-brick method, then you're out of luck, and you need to just call amazon or try creating a restore bin. Jean Yves has a clean root image on his k2i page that you could use, and the rest of the info to make the update should be on this forum and igorsk's blog.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
I did have the Anti-Brick (and Screensaver hack installed), so that might have worked. As it turns out, I received a replacement from Amazon, and have reinstalled all the hacks (Jailbreak, Anti-brick, Screensaver, and Uni-code font customized with the Georgia font). All is exactly how I want it now, so don't think I'll be touching it.

Funny thing is, I was doing a little checking, so installed one, uninstalled, re-installed, etc. I believe the error occurred with a file that had already installed fine.

For my growing and learning purposes, how exactly would I have written the script for (fix the fonts)? Thanks.
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
dusano
dusano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The emergency_rescue.sh did work for me. I played with my Kindle and it got into a perpetual cycle of reboots that have ended in "your kindle needs repair" error screen.

Using emergency_rescue.sh I've found out that the date on my Kindle was set to 1.1.1970 and this seems to be the reason for the perpetual reboot. After I've set the date, the Kindle started normally.
dusano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusano View Post
Using emergency_rescue.sh I've found out that the date on my Kindle was set to 1.1.1970 and this seems to be the reason for the perpetual reboot. After I've set the date, the Kindle started normally.
Pure coincidence ...
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recovery mode, restart, ufh, unicode font hack