Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Sex selection for public profile information?

I was just reading in the Top 100 thread again.

For some of the titles, I recognized the name. Not having read them all myself, I ask my wife about some of them. Whether she's read them, whether she thought they were good.

Sometimes, I got in reply: "Yes, you would like it." But other times, I got "Yes, it is good, but you won't like it. It is a girly book."

Examples: Pride & Prejudice is one. One of my wife's favorite series is Ann of Green Gables, but she is sure I won't like it. (and I bet she's right)

Then, I thought it might be a good idea to have a "sex" selection in the profile, so we could see the source. Some usernames and avatars make it obvious. Others.... not so much.

What do you think about the idea of having a selection for this in the profile that is shown with every post? It is kind of the same idea as having the reading device shown there, or geographic location. Replies could be more customized as a result.

Before anyone's minds go in the gutter, the selections would be: 'male,' 'female,' or 'anonymous.' No option for "Yes, please."
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Jeremy,

Sounds good to me. And congratulations for avoiding that awful word "gender".
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I was just reading in the Top 100 thread again.

For some of the titles, I recognized the name. Not having read them all myself, I ask my wife about some of them. Whether she's read them, whether she thought they were good.

Sometimes, I got in reply: "Yes, you would like it." But other times, I got "Yes, it is good, but you won't like it. It is a girly book."

Examples: Pride & Prejudice is one. One of my wife's favorite series is Ann of Green Gables, but she is sure I won't like it. (and I bet she's right)

Then, I thought it might be a good idea to have a "sex" selection in the profile, so we could see the source. Some usernames and avatars make it obvious. Others.... not so much.

What do you think about the idea of having a selection for this in the profile that is shown with every post? It is kind of the same idea as having the reading device shown there, or geographic location. Replies could be more customized as a result.

Before anyone's minds go in the gutter, the selections would be: 'male,' 'female,' or 'anonymous.' No option for "Yes, please."
While this idea "may" help for knowing which pronoun to use in reference to a poster, ie., he / she said, it doesn't necessarily indicate whether it would be a "girly" choice or not.

I'm female and don't always choose to read "girly" books, in fact, I usually don't. I've known some males who do read "girly" books.

I usually just go look up a title and read the blurb and make my own decision. I also check the classification of the title.. romance, historical romance, etc, this lets me know what the main emphasis is of the book. Then again, I have read some "romance" books that were more of a good plot with some romance thrown in that were pretty good.

Short answer... I look it up and make my own decision based on whether or not the story sounds interesting to me. Only I can determine, after I have read it, if I liked it or not.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Jeremy,

Sounds good to me. And congratulations for avoiding that awful word "gender".
Hehehe. Truth be told, it wasn't coming to the tip of my tongue at the time, or I probably would have used "gender." But then, you already know of my tendency not to always use the best word. (i.e. "greed" instead of... See? I forgot the less emotionally-charged word already)

On the bright side, this thread will probably get 10X the number of views for having "sex" in the title instead of "gender."

There's a bright side to everything.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sooo many positions, but soooo little time.....

Oh wait, that isn't the sex selction you are talking about, is it? The only one who seems to be consistently challenged to determine a poster's gender is GraceKrispy. Hilarious! It's so bad with her that she just keeps a standard apology for calling a girl a guy and vice versa in her sig line.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
...you already know of my tendency not to always use the best word. (i.e. "greed" instead of... See? I forgot the less emotionally-charged word already)
Sex and greed. What an interesting juxtraposition.

Quote:
On the bright side, this thread will probably get 10X the number of views for having "sex" in the title instead of "gender."
Dead right. That's precisely why I read the post in the first place.

But I still think it's a good idea. I belong to the old school of on-line forum posters, where people used their real names and real pictures - days that are gone forever, I fear.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Sex and greed. What an interesting juxtraposition.
At least it was not greedy sex ..... :noavatarusedindeferencetoanotherthreadonthesubjec t:

Quote:

Dead right. That's precisely why I read the post in the first place.

But I still think it's a good idea. I belong to the old school of on-line forum posters, where people used their real names and real pictures - days that are gone forever, I fear.
We 'old' school boys ought to know better .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
You use your real name and photo facebook so maybe it will return to forums.

Last edited by tompe; 10-04-2009 at 09:42 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If we do have a sex question in the profile. Can we have the answer Not often enough?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If we do have a sex question in the profile. Can we have the answer Not often enough?
You will be overwhelmed by tips and advices
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
jeremy_ahn
Banned
jeremy_ahn began at the beginning.

Device: any
i like sex.
sex is fun.
jeremy_ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You use your real name and photo facebook so maybe it will return to forums.
Actually, I refuse to go to sites like that...

And I'll keep my sex life to myself and my partner(s), thank you...

But seriously, when you put a "gender" in the profile, I doubt it'll be of much help (as we all know that all females aren't females in real life, but fat old men who didn't leave the house in 20 years and are still being taken care of by their moms)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But seriously, when you put a "gender" in the profile, I doubt it'll be of much help (as we all know that all females aren't females in real life, but fat old men who didn't leave the house in 20 years and are still being taken care of by their moms)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I noticed it in some roleplay computer games some 14 years ago. Males would create female characters, so old male champions would team up with them, show interesting places, help to do quests and get combat experience you would not believe it how outrageously flirtatious they would be
astra is offline   Reply With Quote