Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #106
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octochick View Post
I did try that, did not work. Only when I paste it as one line and then hit enter.. but whatever way works... just so happy to have my own Sceensavers! (One of the 13 I loaded below!)

Thank you Clarknova!!!

and everyone else for helping my blonde, mac ass figure it out
I love that image!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #107
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I didn't want to do that because it doubles the complexity of the mod (quite literally, now we have to edit two files ).

However, you raise valid points, and God (Ken Thompson) created regular expressions for a reason. So I've gone ahead and done this. The big concern was that every change that's made has to be able to be revoked or else official updates will fail when they can't get the correct checksums on the files. So I had to do some testing to make sure everything was kosher.

Ok, now I've really got to get back to work.
Karma comin' at ya! I feel so much better with my own images on my K2. Your process is easier than the process for K1, IMO.
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #108
ck_1981
ck_1981 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Would it be possible to do the following rather than hack the file (removing the dependancy on removing before updating) - or are does it run into permission errors?

- create /mnt/us/system/screen_saver/
- cp <current screensaver dir>/* /mnt/us/system/screen_saver/
- rm <current screensaver dir>
- ln -s /mnt/us/system/screen_saver/ <current screensaver dir>
ck_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #109
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck_1981 View Post
Would it be possible to do the following rather than hack the file (removing the dependancy on removing before updating) - or are does it run into permission errors?

- create /mnt/us/system/screen_saver/
- cp <current screensaver dir>/* /mnt/us/system/screen_saver/
- rm <current screensaver dir>
- ln -s /mnt/us/system/screen_saver/ <current screensaver dir>
You can for sure (afterall it's UNIX, and there's several ways to accomplish a task), but I wouldn't because it makes it harder to restore the K2 to a factory state. If you delete those images and don't save them, then you're SOL unless you can get someone else to get you a copy of them.

If you're sure you'll never sell yours or need customer support, then go for it, you're probably right about never having to undo it--unless the updates include patches for the screen savers, in which case you better have a copy of the originals. Though this does seem unlikely (unlikely that they would update the images, and unlikely that if they did they would do so with a patch instead of a replace.)
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #110
mrs_pooky
mrs_pooky began at the beginning.

Forgive me for being dense, but I just want to clarify a few things before I proceed with trying this...

- This has to be removed before the Kindle will receive any updates from Amazon?
- This will remove the default screen savers and replace them with ones of my choosing?

Thanks!
D
mrs_pooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #111
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_pooky View Post
- This has to be removed before the Kindle will receive any updates from Amazon?
We don't know. Depends on how picky Amazon is with their update routines. It *might* block future updates from Amazon. In any case, the patch would have to be *re-applied* after an update from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_pooky View Post
- This will remove the default screen savers and replace them with ones of my choosing?
It won't *remove* them, just disable them and allow you to use your own. You can always go back and re-enable the old default screen savers by removing the patch.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #112
mrs_pooky
mrs_pooky began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
We don't know. Depends on how picky Amazon is with their update routines. It *might* block future updates from Amazon. In any case, the patch would have to be *re-applied* after an update from Amazon.

It won't *remove* them, just disable them and allow you to use your own. You can always go back and re-enable the old default screen savers by removing the patch.
Thanks so much! That's all I needed to know. I'll give it a whirl.

D
mrs_pooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #113
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post

My personal screen savers did not block my K1 from upgrading to 1.2.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #114
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
My personal screen savers did not block my K1 from upgrading to 1.2.
That's not the issue. For Kindle 2 you have to hack the software to do personal screen savers.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #115
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I appreciate your hack to use personal screen savers. I only like about 2 of amazons, and have replaced them with images that contain my contact information in case my kindle turns up missing (heaven forbid).

I have however requested Amazon that there be a way to either turn off screen savers, or have your own custom ones. My response email included:
Quote:
I have sent your feedback about the screen saver in kindle to kindle team.
Personally I wish there were more customization options on the kindle, such as allowing greater use of the screen for text, and a way to edit tags on your books, but those other issues.

Last edited by demoric; 03-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #116
Misora
Misora began at the beginning.

As far as I can tell, the screen saver patch did indeed block the update to 2.0.1. I removed the patch and the update went through just fine. I had to restart a couple times before I could get the screen saver patch reapplied to the new version.

Current version string is: Kindle 2.0.1 (303870012) + Screen Saver Hack 0.3

Hopefully this helps someone.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #117
aormond
aormond began at the beginning.

Thanks for this hack! It went off without a hitch.
aormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #118
stringbeanei
Should read: Stringbeanie
stringbeanei began at the beginning.

Device: K2
Allen, What program did you use to personalize that photo in your screensaver "Allen's Kindle" ?
It looks terrific.
stringbeanei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #119
aormond
aormond began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbeanei View Post
Allen, What program did you use to personalize that photo in your screensaver "Allen's Kindle" ?
It looks terrific.
Thanks! I used Photoshop to put the "label" on the image. I think the font is really what makes it look nice (Academy Engraved LET).

The images are from Kunstformen der Natur by Ernst Haeckel. A collection of the illustrations can be found here. Some of them are really bizarre/beautiful.
aormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #120
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aormond View Post
Thanks! I used Photoshop to put the "label" on the image. I think the font is really what makes it look nice (Academy Engraved LET).

The images are from Kunstformen der Natur by Ernst Haeckel. A collection of the illustrations can be found here. Some of them are really bizarre/beautiful.
These are spectacular--thanks for the link!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote