Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
eBook pricing: changes on paperback release

eBook pricing is still a complete mess. Publishers just don't seem to be able to cope with it.

The particular book that's caused me to post today is one of a series "Running from the Deity" by Alan Dean Foster.

The hardback and the eBook both came out in 2005. I don't know what the hardback retailed for, but presumably around the $24 mark. The eBook was priced at $17.99.

OK, pretty high, but I can understand it - they want money from people who wanted the book immediately on publication, either in hardback or eBook form. Even Baen do something similar with their eARCs. And who knows - I might even have bought it at that price, if I was following the series really closely.

But the paperback was released in 2006. $7.99. eBook pricing remains unchanged at $17.99. This is just silly.

This year, the Kindle version is released. $7.99.

So why is the general eBook price still unchanged at $17.99? It just doesn't make sense.

This is Random House, but I expect other publishers are equally inept.

Yes, I have sent feedback to Random House directly about this pricing anomaly.

Grrrrrr.... and I'm sure it's losing them other sales, not just the sales to me.

Paul
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I feel your pain, brother. I routinely send complaints to Sony about this, and their response is always "Publishers set the prices, we discount from there".
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To be fair, when I've queried price anomalies with MobiPocket, they're always responded extremely promptly (and all the Mobi retailers automatically get the revised price). The price has generally been put right within 24h.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
When prices change, I suspect prices of e-versions are forgotten because it'll be a small part of a large department; or because the genre is still new....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's interesting. I'll try sending a note to Mobipocket too.

regards,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To be fair, when I've queried price anomalies with MobiPocket, they're always responded extremely promptly (and all the Mobi retailers automatically get the revised price). The price has generally been put right within 24h.
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I couldn't find a way to send info to Mobipocket, nor a suitable forum. I have sent a note to Fictionwise, who are my usual eBook retailer anyway.

Interestingly, Mobipocket have "Running from the Deity" at the original high price, but have the next in the series "Patrimony" as the lower price. Fictionwise currently have both at the higher price. Weird!

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That's interesting. I'll try sending a note to Mobipocket too.

regards,

Paul
Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is the link or email address to send a note to Mobipocket?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the link or email address to send a note to Mobipocket?
On the Mobi web site, click the "Support & Forum" link at the top right. Once you're logged onto the support forum area, go to the "Readers' Corner" forum and post in the Sticky "Overpriced Books" thread at the top.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote