Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Andy View Post
My wife only reads books downloaded from B&N, I only read books from the library or other free books that are side loaded through Calibre (ya I'm cheep). We both have the same problem with freezing. I never had an issue with my old ST freezing nor has my wife with her first edition Nook. The common denominator here is the GL.
Did you buy those 2 GlowLights at the same time from the same source?
If so, they simply could be from the same "Monday" batch.
From what I read in this and similar threads, most users don't have problems with their GlowLight crashing.
Mine didn't crash once in the 2 months that I have it. I use it each night for about 2 hours. I only read B&N books, directly downloaded on the reader via WiFi.

If 2 readers crash with different material from different sources, this clearly indicates hardware defects.
Personally, I'm a bit disappointed about the build quality of my GlowLight. There are some gaps between the flexible framing and the housing. I've had the same on my Nook HD, whereas Nook classic had been a work of art.
If I take the (low) build quality as an indicator, I wouldn't be surprised about faulty components either...
Unfortunately you see it again and again: When companies run into problems (and B&N obviously did massively), they try to cut corners. Saving costs by reducing quality and such. They don't realize the vicious circle they start. Do they really think, such behavior will bring back customers?...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-29-2014 at 06:55 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Update 1.3 is available for the Nook Glowlight.
This update (according to several messages in the Nook forum) seems to have fixed the freezing problem.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
Aqua-Andy
Aqua-Andy began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Just an update. The 3.1 update has fixed our freezing problems, no more issues.
Aqua-Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Andy View Post
Just an update. The 3.1 update has fixed our freezing problems, no more issues.
The update is actually 1.3.1. My Nook was updated and I wasn't aware until I just checked it. I did notice that it did not freeze in awhile. I assume the new update is the reason. In the following link and check under "What's new in version 1.3.1" and they mention Bug fixes for stability and performance.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/soft...ght/379004086/

Last edited by JerseyBiker; 06-01-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added info and link
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #20
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Pretty funny.

I've been having this freeze problem since I purchased my Glowlight on March 29th, after my ST w/GL went bonkers.

When the local BN curtly said they couldn't do anything for me, and I'd have to contact BN tech (and couldn't seem to get me out of the store fast enough), we went across the street to Target and my wife bought me the new Glowlight for my birthday because I was drooling over it.

I have searched occasionally for an answer, but for the most part had found that pressing the power button for 10 sec, and then pressing it again for 5 sec restarted it. As has been mentioned, that reset it back to whenever it had powered off properly, but not critical, just irritating.

So I searched again and finally found this MobileRead thread buried about 15 items down under all the 2010 thru 2013 "nook freeze" items.

I seldom turn on my wifi, and when I do, I never close the nook down before turning wifi off, so I had never gotten the update which had been issued 2 days before we bought it, LOL. Turned out I had to turn on wifi, and then close the nook to the screensaver, and BOOM, download and update.

Thanks for having this thread here. MobileRead folks come thru again.

Bonus is that the "reopen book" icon in the upper left looks more like an open book, and side-loaded books actually have a title on them, now.

By the way, BN covered the ST w/GL under warranty, so I have a refurbished nook STR w/GL waiting for my son to decide he wants it instead of the STR w/o GL I had passed on to him.

Last edited by eGeezer; 07-23-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Add "bonus" comment
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert