Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Traveling with an eInk reader

I just found out today I'll be attending a conference for work in a couple of months that will involve a plane trip. Of course one of the reasons I purchased my Cybook was for ease of carrying lots of reading material while traveling, but for the first time I thought about eInk devices and the TSA. Has anyone traveled with an eInk device? Did security notice it or comment upon it or ask "What the heck is it?" Did you have to take it out of your carryon like a laptop? I like to be prepared.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I just found out today I'll be attending a conference for work in a couple of months that will involve a plane trip. Of course one of the reasons I purchased my Cybook was for ease of carrying lots of reading material while traveling, but for the first time I thought about eInk devices and the TSA. Has anyone traveled with an eInk device? Did security notice it or comment upon it or ask "What the heck is it?" Did you have to take it out of your carryon like a laptop? I like to be prepared.
I had no problem on several overseas and domestic flights with my eb1150. It just remained in my carry-on.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I haven't had an issue with security. I do take it out but they've never looked at it. I can't remember the last time they looked at my laptop, either. I haven't attempted to read it before we were in flight and electronic devices were allowed, but I've read here that some folks have been told by flight attendants to turn it completely off.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi MaggieScratch. I've flown with my Sony 505 several times and the TSA guys have never questioned it. I keep it switched off until the flight crew says we can power on electronic devices.

You'll really like having it with you. Makes flights go faster and the great thing is having all those books at hand.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Just tell them it's a "liseuse", and steadfastly continue to use the term when they want clarification. That should get you earmarked for selective screening in a jiffy.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I've taken my 500 and now 505 on trips with me. My 500 has been to Scotland. My 505 has been to New York City and Naples, Florida. I've had the reader in my bag when it went through the scanner. it was no problem at all. They never checked my bag or asked about the reader. My wife's 500 has gone with us as well. Again, no problem with her taking her 500 along. Nobody has evenr asked what it is.

The only thing you have to note is that during takeoff and landing, you cannot be reading from your eink device.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It was a slow day at DFW (Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport) I was the line and the TSA person was interested in the Sony 500 so I had to give a demo. Here at IAD (Washington Dulles) it is a non-issue. Same for LAX.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The iLiad is larger that the Cybook, and I started out treating it as a laptop (i.e. sending it through the X-Ray machine separately). However, I now leave it in my bag. One time a screener asked me if it was a DVD player, but even in that case I did not have to remove it from the bag.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Our flights have originated at Logan Airport in Boston.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
I have taken a number of international trips with my Sony 500 and had no trouble at all. I have not had any trouble reading my book prior to the "electronic OK messages". On the last trip I was actually sitting in from of the steward and had to give her a demo during the take-off role. She thought it was a great thing, and plans on getting one so that she has reading materials for the layovers.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well done Bruce! Have some extra karma.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"It's an e-book reader", I answered in response to her soft-voiced query. She leaned forward for a closer look. Now, I'm a grown man, not some hormone-addled teenager - but I do love a woman in uniform. I kept my eyes on her face, her face...

"... hundreds of books use it anywhere and the screen no eye strain...". I was babbling, the neurons typically used for coherent speech co-opted by her scent, the strand of hair escaped from her perfect coif. I nearly dropped my reader as I restrained my hand from tucking it back behind her ear.

"...read it in bed I love reading in bed do you read in my bed? I mean I love your bed, not that your bed is any of my business no, sorry, I meant to say no backlight we'll have to leave a light on..."

Her slight smile and whispered "naughty boy" undid me completely. This was going to be a long flight.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader

Taylor51ce are you not suposed to be the depressed robot not the Frustrated Robot or did you get a new memory flash from Igor?
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I refuse to be pigeonholed into a single persona.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks everyone! I'll take out the laptop then and leave the Cybook in the bag. I'm glad to hear the security folks seem okay with reading devices. I'll probably entertain myself with the inflight magazine or my tatting till the plane is in the air, though! On my last plane trip (which was much longer than this one will be) I finished my book in the middle of the flight...argh. No more!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote