Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Does US get automatic firmware updates or do I need to update manually?

My Glo currently has 2.3.1 and I am experiencing a few of the bugs that seem to have been posted about here already. I'd like to get 2.3.2 but I am afraid of messing things up if I put it on there manually. Or at least messing up automatic firmware updates.

Do Kobos in the US even get automatic updates?

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I thought since Kobo Glos were near impossible to find and buy in the US they might not be supported here or something when ti comes to automatic updates. I bought my Glo online from a small independent bookstore, one of only two places I was able to find that was even selling them online.

Thanks in advance.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Yes, everywhere in the world gets new updates pushed to devices when the device is syncing. However, new firmware will have to be available for that to happen.

You are currently on the most recent firmware, the next up, 2.3.2, was only released in Japan and then it stopped being distributed (probably because they found more bugs).

You can manually update to 2.3.2. This will not stop automatic updating, and you won't mess anything up as long as you use the correct firmware version (for the Glo).

You can find the firmware here. Please note though, manually updating is not officially supported by Kobo. Instructions on how to install:

- Plug your Glo into your computer and mount it
- Unzip the firmware zip file
- You wil get three items: 1. the KoboRoot.tgz file, 2. manifest.md5sum file and 3. the "update" folder.
- Copy all three items to the .kobo folder on your Glo (on a Mac, this folder will be invisible. Open it by going to the finder "Go" menu, hit "Go to folder" near the bottom, fill in "/Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo" and hit "Go")
- Eject the Glo, and then unplug it

The update will happen automatically. The files you added will be gone after the update.

Good luck!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Thanks so much! Since it stopped being distributed should I just wait until its officially released here?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
Thanks so much! Since it stopped being distributed should I just wait until its officially released here?
You can if you prefer. No idea when a next firmware will be released though. Also, the bugs that are present in 2.3.2 are far less obvious than the ones in 2.3.1. So I suppose you're the only one who can judge how much the bugs in 2.3.1 annoy you. I'm using 2.3.2 and have no problems with it at all. Some people have gone back to 2.1.5...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
peejayw
Enthusiast
peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
I got really tired of the small font on chapter change problem and yesterday took the plunge to install 2.3.2. Installation was very easy following the helpful advice from the people in this forum (you know who you are :-) ).
I initially had a problem that was quickly sorted with an account logout/login and since then everything is fine and that terrible bug is gone !

Its your decision to make but Im glad I did the upgrade.
peejayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Lily7
Zealot

I decided to install 2.3.2, since I can always go back to 2.3.1 if I need to.

How DO I go back to 2.3.1 if this doesn't work out? Factory reset, then connect to Kobo desktop?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
How DO I go back to 2.3.1 if this doesn't work out? Factory reset, then connect to Kobo desktop?
That would be the best way to do it, yes.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Torgut
Torgut began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and Kobo Touch
I don't know about the new release of firmware being distributed. I just decided to put an end to the wrong page resuming bug, and as soon as I connected to my WiFi and Synced, the new firmware was installed. Oh... I forgot to mention... I am not in Japan, I am in Portugal. Now I have 2.4.0. Funny thing... I had 90% estimated battery, after updatingit was 83% :-)

Last edited by Torgut; 02-28-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Torgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, you've got to figure that the downloading and update process will use a fair amount of power as files are downloaded and moved around on the device.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote