Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #751
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I've only ever returned one book that I can recall and that was just after I started checking out digital media. The library locked my account and I had to call OverDrive to get it fixed -- it was a mess, let me tell you!

These days I'm mostly borrowing audio books (WMA usually) and since I listen more slowly than I read, I don't really have much reason to max out my limits anyway. I've had more than one audiobook expire unread...though I try to make that a rare occurrence.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #752
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I've only ever returned one book that I can recall and that was just after I started checking out digital media. The library locked my account and I had to call OverDrive to get it fixed -- it was a mess, let me tell you!

These days I'm mostly borrowing audio books (WMA usually) and since I listen more slowly than I read, I don't really have much reason to max out my limits anyway. I've had more than one audiobook expire unread...though I try to make that a rare occurrence.
To keep that from happening never return a book with 24 hours of checking one out. I early return all the time without problems you just got wait till in ADE it says 6 days or less. If you want to be safe 5 days or less.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #753
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
But if you haven't finished reading the books, you might not want to return one of them early.

My library allows only 4 checkouts, but 5 holds. I usually try to have only 3 books checked out at one time so I have a slot free in case one of my books on hold becomes available.

I hope all of our libraries will get this new hold suspension feature - it sounds really useful.
You really need to buy membership at another library. 4 checkout is ridiculous. I highly recommended Brooklyn Public Library. $50 a year and well worth it. I got my money's worth in the first checkout. 15 books check out limit and 10 holds.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #754
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My library allows 6 checkouts but only 3 holds. With the long wait times of months, I'd rather have 3 checkouts and 6 holds. I never read more than 1 book at a time anyway, it would suit me perfectly. 15 checkouts and 10 holds... that would be heaven.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #755
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FLP - Free Library of Philadelphia - is FREE to all seniors and veterans, nation wide. I think a yearly fee of $35 is required for all other out-of-staters. Checkout limit is 10 and hold limit is 10.

I don't qualify and don't have a subscription there, but many here do (I think),

Oh - and the cards for vets and seniors never expire. So cool.
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #756
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Sorry, I was wrong, it's not a drop-down menu, it's a checkoff. Select the book(s) and then choose suspend. Here's a screen shot.
I see it has to be done via the main part of the library's website. Nothing to actually do with the Overdrive part. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #757
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I hope all of our libraries will get this new hold suspension feature - it sounds really useful.
It's not actually part of the Overdrive update. It's part of the integration of eBooks with the main library software.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #758
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
This is crazy!! These do not download to ADE - you have to go through extra steps to get them into ADE.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #759
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, I have to save them to my desktop, and then import them into ADE? When I say save as, and pick ADE, they aren't there when I go to import them into Calibre
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #760
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
So, I have to save them to my desktop, and then import them into ADE? When I say save as, and pick ADE, they aren't there when I go to import them into Calibre
Are you talking about Open epub? Those are DRM free no need for ADE.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #761
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you are given a .epub file to download, it's DRM free. You just have to pick a place to save it to. If it is a .acsm file, it will have to be opened with ADE and ADE will store it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #762
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Just speculating here - I wonder if turnover is better at libraries which allow fewer checkouts. If the library allowed 20 checkouts, maybe people would check out a lot of books all at once and end up keeping many of them for the full 14 or 21 days.

With only 4 checkouts allowed, I usually check out only 3 books at a time (leaving a space open in case a hold comes through), so I usually get through them pretty quickly and return them early, therefore not tying up a lot of to-be-read books that may be on other people's hold lists.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #763
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks Blossom and JSWolf. They are .acsm. The problem is Windows 8! I uninstalled the overdrive app, and then when I went to download, it couldn't find the correct program. I had to find the Adobe file and ADE for it.

Do Not Download the Overdrive app for Windows 8!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #764
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Do Not Download the Overdrive app for Windows 8!!!!!!!
Thanks for the warning.

I always laugh because whenever I get set to perform a specific task, I'll get a pop-up telling me "Windows 8 has an app to do that for you!!!".

Is it wrong that I talk back to my computer???
Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #765
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Thanks for the warning.

I always laugh because whenever I get set to perform a specific task, I'll get a pop-up telling me "Windows 8 has an app to do that for you!!!".

Is it wrong that I talk back to my computer???
Me too! I guess it would be okay if I didn't know what I wanted, I wouldn't have a computer!