Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #31
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Hi Daffy, great email.
I did not understand the Cupertino thing the way you did: some defective devices for some reason are more interestiing to them than others, and they ask that those devices be sent to the Cupertino address for further investigation. From a customer point of view, it does not matter, other than that it gives us hope that someone is trying to fix the screen issues on the current PWs.
It is still just a return, albeit to a different address.

Or maybe I am the one who misunderstood. I can tell you for sure that no engineer checked any of my replacements, or I would have never received those

BTW, when I received an email after leaving my review, I answered back to the CS email address but also to Jeff. Jeff never answered me, though.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It seems my email worked. I have received several calls from a Seattle phone number which I ignored because I didn't know who was calling (especially because it's election time ). Someone named Dillon Dylan finally left a message that he was calling about my Kindle. I will answer the next time he calls.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-02-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Name spelling correction.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Spoke with Dylan. He is sending me Kindle PW #4 which should arrive on Monday. He said that the new replacement should be good. When I asked if someone would look at it first, he said he couldn't guarantee that would happen. We shall see.

I still have to send whichever Kindle I return to Kentucky and not Cupertino. Dylan also told me that I could respond directly to the email he sent me if I had other questions or problems.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #34
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just got a replacement and it is pretty darn good. I have to use my imagination to see any color. Hopefully it will stay that way !!

This was a unit they said someone had checked before shipment. By which I think they mean it went through an additional check in China (someone with good color vision presumably) before getting sealed up. I notice that the 3G model (which is what I have) is shipping in '5 to 7 weeks'. So this must be from a special stash.

I'm very happy with it, time to name it and maybe get the smart cover.

I'll try to post a before-and-after picture later.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #35
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Thanks for posting your good news tomsem! Congratulations! You give me hope as I have the 3G version as well!
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #36
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Great news, tomsem. NO color blotches at all?!
I finally received an email that my new replacement will be here on Monday. I really, really hope that it will not have any color hues, smudges, and all the other issues.

@daffy4u: so Andrew is not the only one! So happy you have one person taking care of this issue for you now. Let us know how your replacement is, when you get it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #37
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
@daffy4u: so Andrew is not the only one! So happy you have one person taking care of this issue for you now. Let us know how your replacement is, when you get it.
Ditto for you! Hopefully we'll both be happy puppies on Monday!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #38
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
tomsem - So happy you got a great PW! I look forward to your pics.

xendula and daffy - I have my fingers crossed for you both! I so hope you get great ones.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #39
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
My original (left) and replacement (right) at full +24 on both. Camera was on full auto.

I realize they don't appear dramatically different in the photo, but viewing side by side with my eyes the replacement is quite a bit better, and shows no color in actual usage (nor do I remember seeing any when I took the photos). Nor will I ever have the screen light turned up to 24 in dark conditions, except perhaps as a flashlight.

Also I find the replacement has slightly darker text which is of course welcome.

So I have a Paperwhite with a screen which meets my expectations fully, and I'll be sending the original one back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00086.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	698.9 KB
ID:	95461  
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #40
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tomsem - thanks for the pic! Your replacement does look a lot better! My replacement has darker text too, I was happy about that.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #41
SubElement
Connoisseur
SubElement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Just got my replacement today guys! Thoughts?!

ORIGINAL

REPLACEMENT

SubElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #42
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
Your replacement looks worse than the original with the rainbowing, but the LEDs look more even. It's whether you're comfortable reading from it that matters though, not whether we can spot anything.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #43
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Kindle Paperwhite #4 arrived this afternoon. I'm not sure what I think about it yet.

The screen on the new PW looks like it is pretty much all one color leaning to the bluish green. When I compare it to my current PW (#2) with both lights up to 24, the new PW is not as bright as PW #2. That may not be much of an issue. I'll spend some time reading on it tonight and over the next few days to really decide.

One weird thing happened. At one point on the PW #4, the light just turned itself off without any input from me. It also stopped responding to my touch. I had to turn the PW off and back on again to get it to work. Hopefully, I won't be trading one problem for another.

One other thing, this time I got an upgrade to a non-SO PW.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #44
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Glad you got an upgrade, daffy. Let us know how it goes and which one you decide to keep. My replacement is also slightly dimmer than my previous PW, by one notch. All of mine have varied on the light, none were the same. I also had one of mine stop responding completely and had to reset it.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #45
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Glad you got an upgrade, daffy. Let us know how it goes and which one you decide to keep. My replacement is also slightly dimmer than my previous PW, by one notch. All of mine have varied on the light, none were the same. I also had one of mine stop responding completely and had to reset it.
Thanks Sparklemotion! I think this will be a keeper but want to give a few days to make sure.

It is interesting to learn that there can be variation in the amount of brightness from Kindle to Kindle. For me the previous 3 have been equal.

Poor little PW, so many little quality control points.