Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
E-Ink strains my eyes.

I recently got a Kindle 2. I find it strains my eyes to read it for more than a few minutes. It's the low contrast. I can stare at a LCD monitor 16 hours a day and be perfectly fine. I find I constantly wish I could turn up the contrast on the Kindle but I can't. Is this something that I will get used to? I need to decide whether to return it or not.

I've seen E-Ink readers in China. Some have far more contrast. More than the Kindle 3. I've even seen one that really looked like ink on white paper. I thought it was a fake demo until I used it and it was real E-Ink.

The other reason I'm thinking about returning it is the browser. Do people think that Amazon will give the K2 webkit?
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
E-Ink strains my eyes.
That's blasphemy around here. Caution.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Maybe you could buy an ipad or a nook colour if you are more comfortable with LCD screens.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
You can try using bright light. Like really bright, outdoor light.

Where can you buy one of those chinese readers with high contrast? Are you sure they were not LCD?

I'm sure someone will chime in to say the k3 is better. It is, but it's not a huge difference. Meaning if you are unhappy with the k2 you will not be happy with the k 3 either.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest trying a different font. The K2, in particular, suffers from poor default fonts. There are several threads on K2 font hacks, and I'm not sure which are still up to date. One external like that might help is Unicode Fonts Hack.

Other things that help are good lighting and a larger font size (i.e. increase the font size in poor light).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The K3 has abput 50% better contrast than the K2 (the blacks are much blacker), so you may well find that a K3 suits you better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Really? Do u remember the one u tried in China?
If u remember the brand or model I can ask my friend to buy one for me.
The reader in China always supports bunch of formats.
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
I can stare at a LCD monitor 16 hours a day and be perfectly fine.
why did you want to buy an e-ink device then? an ipad would suite you better.

i'm the opposite and fine LCDs tire me out, especially after a long day a work. i love how close e-ink is to real printed paper.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
why did you want to buy an e-ink device then? an ipad would suite you better.
Simple, as implied from the second question in my post... the free international web browsing. I don't want an E-Ink device. I want a Kindle because of the web access. I'd be happier if it did have a color LCD display. If the Nook Color had free 3G browsing, I'd be all over that. To be honest, even if I kept the Kindle[23], I would probably keep using my iphone as an ereader. It's small, light and is with me all the time. But the Kindle is the only game in town, so E-Ink it is.

Technically, I do think E-Ink is an interesting technology. I look forward to it as it develops. Someday, if it develops the contrast of an LCD and color... that would be a revolution.

Last edited by travfar; 12-24-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have a Kindle 2 US and from pictures I've seen, the Kindle 2 International has better contrast. My Kindle 3 has much better contrast than my Kindle 2. Does your Kindle serial number start with B002?

There are a number of members here who prefer LCD or TFT screens. Maybe one of those would work better for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
I don't want an E-Ink device. I want a Kindle because of the web access.
The first sentence explains what is wrong with the second. Had you purchased a netbook in order to play Crysis 2, you would be similarly disappointed.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
travfar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have a Kindle 2 US and from pictures I've seen, the Kindle 2 International has better contrast. My Kindle 3 has much better contrast than my Kindle 2. Does your Kindle serial number start with B002?
I have a B003, international version.

I might return the K2 and get a K3 instead. For the contrast and the webkit browser. Although, if the K2 got that browser it would be enough for me. I'm not going to use it as my daily browser or ever in the US. I intend it to be my travel browser in countries where free WiFi is rare.

Last edited by travfar; 12-24-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
travfar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
The first sentence explains what is wrong with the second. Had you purchased a netbook in order to play Crysis 2, you would be similarly disappointed.
I actually played Crysis 2 on my netbook. Ran fine. There are netbooks and then there are netbooks.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Try using a sans serif font to increase background contrast between the letters.

I can not use e-ink either due tp having poor vision and being unable to see the low contrast.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
I actually played Crysis 2 on my netbook. Ran fine. There are netbooks and then there are netbooks.
Well darn. I stand corrected.

Really though, the Kindle web browser is horrific. I used it once, heh. Once.

Edit: I think the reason why 3G is offered free on such devices is because they don't need to worry about their service providing much data. Any device that can make decent use of it would require more costly service.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 12-24-2010 at 07:01 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote