Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:31 AM   #16
kiermel
Enthusiast
kiermel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Thumbs up

When you add support for images and the creation of Table of Contents from heading1, heading2, etc... and will that is lacking. Without that, it is now unusable.

Thanks for the work
Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #17
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiermel View Post
When you add support for images and the creation of Table of Contents from heading1, heading2, etc... and will that is lacking. Without that, it is now unusable.
The TOC, the image and the metadata support are in working progress. If you look inside the macro you will find code for all functions

At the moment, you can open the generated e.pub with Sigil, and manually put the images, create the TOC and edit the matadata. This also corrects some small errors that prevents validation...

Luke
Old 02-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #18
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Are small caps working in this yet?
Small caps are not yet supported. The code you get was a resudual from the odt2pml code I use in my macro. But the last (0.1.8) version doesn't anymore generate this wrong code...

Luke
Old 02-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Jacques_N
Zealot
Jacques_N can extract oil from cheeseJacques_N can extract oil from cheeseJacques_N can extract oil from cheeseJacques_N can extract oil from cheeseJacques_N can extract oil from cheeseJacques_N can extract oil from cheeseJacques_N can extract oil from cheeseJacques_N can extract oil from cheeseJacques_N can extract oil from cheese

Location: Hamburg, http://osm.org/go/0HoMJR_kW--?layers=B000FFF
Device: Handera 330, bookeen gen 3(broken), PocketBook 360°, 360° Plus
Doesn't work

I tried to create a simple epub file, but the result file was not correct, therefore no EPub Reader could open it.

I found at least two errors:
- toc.ncx was missing
- there was an useless tempfile in the epub storage.

Did i something wrong?

Jacques

PS. my mistake, i used version 0.0.9 :-(
Where can i find the recent version and how to update to newer version?
Attached Files
File Type: epub Beispiel.epub (2.4 KB, 1145 views)
File Type: rar Beispiel.rar (21.3 KB, 1225 views)

Last edited by Jacques_N; 02-21-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: found thometing new
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #20
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiermel View Post

Thanks for the work
I agree with the above comments.

I use a lot OpenOffice to produce PDF ebooks, because of the so convenient PDF button.
I wish it would be the same with an EPUB button.

Now, to produce PDF ebooks with OpenOffice, I get on with only two "tools":
- one ad hoc 9x12 model (this is the drawback of the PDF format, you have to publish for one size only) but with obvious advantages: easy TOC creation -handling of heading levels- , management of endnotes, insertion of images, justification of text...
- in case of need, one macro (to strip the Gutenberg kind of text from their inconvenient "hard returns".

I know calibre can convert from odt to epub, but as I am not fluent with the epub format, I have not been able to check if it could be of any use.

Thanks you for your efforts.

Last edited by roger64; 02-21-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #21
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I agree with the above comments.
- in case of need, one macro (to strip the Gutenberg kind of text from their inconvenient "hard returns".
Here you will find a simple extension that cleans unwanted hard returns.
Is not perfect, but works.

The support for images and TOC is in an advanced stage

Luke

Now, you will find newest versions of my macros in my blog

Last edited by eBookLuke; 05-02-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #22
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Hi, I need a little help.

I downloaded and installed both the epub export latest version, as well as mytxtcleaner. I installed both extensions without problem, and they appeared in the extension manager.

But how do I access both of them?

For epub exporter, how do I go about exporting the document as epub? Epub isn't one of the extensions allowed. Additionally I've no idea how to access MyTXTCleaner either.

Could anyone help, please. They're very useful extensions!

Edit: Okay, I found the 2 new icons. The new functions don't seem to be listed in the regular drop down menus. At least I couldn't find them. Thanks very much for the extensions.

Last edited by greenapple; 02-22-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #23
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Hi, I need a little help.
But how do I access both of them?
Look at small buttons in the toolbar!

Luke
Old 02-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #24
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookLuke View Post
Here you will find a simple extension that cleans unwanted hard returns.
Is not perfect, but works.

Luke
Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #25
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Look at small buttons in the toolbar!

Luke
I had the same problem, you need to restart OOo before the toolbars show up.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I moved this thread since it has nothing to do with reading ePUB files but in generating them. I also made it a sticky in the ePUB section.

Dale
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #27
kiermel
Enthusiast
kiermel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
The TOC, the image and the metadata support are in working progress. If you look inside the macro you will find code for all functions

At the moment, you can open the generated e.pub with Sigil, and manually put the images, create the TOC and edit the matadata. This also corrects some small errors that prevents validation...

Luke
Yes I know it. But Sigil is very slow in WYSIWYG mode. That is the reason for my hope in your tool. I'll be waiting that's new features. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #28
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Quote:

Luke
Thank you, Luke.

The results could not be perfect, but it's working, and with TOC and images... better.
I tried with some books, and it worked, with some mistakes (any blank line), still checking.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #29
roger64
Wizard

With TOC and images it will be perfect. I can't wait. Atlantis word processor knows already to export in EPUB format but I did not try it though there is a "30 days free" version with all features.

I think this is definitely the way to go. In a dreamworld, OpenOffice users should be able to export in EPUB format as easily as they can export in PDF format.
No need to learn a new trade or use any new heavy and cumbersome tool.

Maybe you will have also to provide your future users with a "model" (an .ott file) which works without a hitch with your extension.

I really wish you all the best.

I managed already to export successfully with your latest issue and OO 3.2 a "plain" EPUB (that is without structure).

BTW your "textcleaner" extension for Gutenberg files work a little slower than my macro but it's more clever and the end result is better...

and also, I picked up this on the escape thread, if it can be of any help but I do not understand everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardigp View Post
We will evaluate including images. There are complications with how OO handles images in XHTML, exports as Base64 and sizes them proportionally to a 96dpi version of the OO page. The result is the image is probably too small. We didn't want to hold the app back while wrestling with this problem.

So one solution is a bit ugly. We can use an image paragraph style, which then has the filename in it, and you have to have the image file in the input location. We then have to handle title/alt text for ePub validity as well.

Maybe we will do both. But the answer to the $100 question is, not sure when we will get around to it.

Last edited by roger64; 02-23-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #30
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
In a dreamworld, OpenOffice users should be able to export in EPUB format as easily as they can export in PDF format.
No need to learn a new trade or use any new heavy and cumbersome tool

It is my dream
I wish to create a tool "for the rest of us" that needs no knowledge about xhtml programming or editor's capability.
Just push a button or select a menu and you get a readable, well-formed epub.

There are dedicated tools, like Sigil, to edit in detail an epub, or to manage your book like Calibre. I don't want to replicate their functions.

Quote:
IBTW your "textcleaner" extension for Gutenberg files work a little slower than my macro but it's more clever and the end result is better...
My macro is very simple. I can speedup it, by freezing the display while it works, but doing so it seems that OOo is freezing. So I will need to add a progress counter... Too much work...

Again

IF SOMEONE IS AN EXPERIENCED OOo PROGRAMMER; PLEASE CONTACT ME TO HELP ME IN WRITER2EPUB DEVELOPEMENT, THANKS

Luke
Closed Thread