Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Quick tip for ANY hack on a Kindle

This is not so much a tech tip as a practical one.

Whenever you apply any hack to a Kindle put a COPY of the INSTALL and UNINSTALL bin files - in fact the whole decompressed archive you downloaded into a separate directory, I call mine UTILS, perhaps you can name it that or HACKS. Any extra folder named either of these is just ignored by the Kindle.

Why? Then you have all the files you need to restore your Kindle back to stock when a new update rolls around, or you ever feel you no longer need the hack. Instead of searching around your PC hard drive or re-downloading the files again they are right there on your Kindle ready to re-apply or uninstall when you need them.

I've learned the hard way to do this with other gadgets. One MP3 player I hacked and then lost the hack files, I never could get it back to "stock" to apply an updated firmware that insisted it have only bona fide stock files.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Great tip! I did that when I was experimenting with Savory but haven't since then. It's a good policy to implement.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I have done exactly that in my laptop, but didnt want to put it into the kindle as I thought it would read it as a file and try to 'do' something. But if it is safe to do so, putting them into the kindle is even better! Thanks
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote