Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
wererat
wererat began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Red face sony elibrary + adobe digital

I bought one of these last week and it's worked great until 2 days ago when all I'd downloaded were pdf books. I went to waterstones.com to download some books and on their site it says to download adobe digital, which I did and the books opened perfectly in there but i couldn't find a way to get the books onto the reader or into sony elibrary.

after looking for a while and having a play the e library just shut down and no matter what i did it wouldn't reopen. i uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. sony just won't open on my laptop anymore. and whenever i plug in the reader it opens as a drive but none of the software loads up.

i finally gave up on sony and downloaded calibre but I still can't get the books I downloaded from waterstones to open in it or transfer from adobe digital.

it's driving me crazy and of course I can't find any trouble shooting that seems to be for this version of the reader!

anyone have any ideas? I would be eternally grateful!

thanks in advance
andi
wererat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Is your Laptop running Windows Vista ?

I got my PRS-300 two days ago and straight after installation eLibrary would not run. I had to set it to run in XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode.

To do this, Right-Click on your shortcut and select properties, then go to "Compatibility", click "Run this Program in compatibility mode for" and from the list choose Windows XP (either SP2 or SP3, both worked for me)
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Have you authorized your Adobe Digital Editions and Sony Reader?

If you have Adobe Digital Editions open, it's supposed to automatically detect your Reader once you plug it in and the ask if you want to authorize the Sony Reader with your Adobe ID.

You have to have both the Digital Editions and the Reader authorized to transfer protected content.

Once it's authorized the Reader appears in the menu of the library.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Ditto, this is what's necessary; it's no different than authorizing your unit with Sony's bookstore.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
wererat
wererat began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
thanks guys, I'm running xp, and i've authorised everything.

i've spoken to sony tech support (whom seem neither technical or supportive! they don't even have a department for readers!) they seem stumped as to the problem because I'm not getting any error messages, sony library just won't open and adobe just doesn't seem to recognise i have a reader plugged in!

They're apparently going to get back to me over the next few days.

I asked them if it was a problem with my reader or the software, and if i had a new one would it do the same thing, they said it would, but whether they're just saying that who knows!

i've even tried the system restore to a point before having the reader to no avail! Very frustrating lol!

i will let you all know how i get on!

thanks for all the suggestions
andi
wererat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
When you install the softwares are you logged in with a user that has administrator's right ?

I'm thinking if the windows user that your logged with isn't administrator or has a corrupted profile maybe something doesn't go right in the installation.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital, elibrary, prs-300, sony