Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #31
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know Sony Readers use the Tags and Series columns to create collections. I don't know if the plugin is configurable as to which columns get used. When I get access to one of my Sony Readers, I'll have a look.
The Sony drivers permit use of custom columns to build collections, and have done so for at least 3 years. I think I added that capability in 2010.

I wonder what your goal is here. It has been clearly stated that adding multiple series/indices will not happen. In addition, I have offered to do work to improve templates and template functions to support multiple series using the existing multiple columns. However, instead of engaging in discussion around things that can be done, you continue to push something that will not be done by any of the current developers that I know of. You are of course welcome to do it yourself.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I think some old kindle allowed to create collections from calibre without jailbreaking, but perhaps I'm wrong.
yes, they did. But I'm wondering if they still do with whatever the latest firmware is. I would not put it past Amazon to have removed that feature.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The Sony drivers permit use of custom columns to build collections, and have done so for at least 3 years. I think I added that capability in 2010.

I wonder what your goal is here. It has been clearly stated that adding multiple series/indices will not happen. In addition, I have offered to do work to improve templates and template functions to support multiple series using the existing multiple columns. However, instead of engaging in discussion around things that can be done, you continue to push something that will not be done by any of the current developers that I know of. You are of course welcome to do it yourself.
Let's say a book belongs to two different series. With your proposed enhancements, would it then be possible to have the book in two different collections with two different names (i.e., Series A 01 - Book & Series B 05 -Book) even if that means you have to have two copies on the device?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #34
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Let's say a book belongs to two different series. With your proposed enhancements, would it then be possible to have the book in two different collections with two different names (i.e., Series A 01 - Book & Series B 05 -Book) even if that means you have to have two copies on the device?
Sorry, I think you're losing focus here. A book have ONE TITLE, not a different title in each collection, enhancement done or missed. And I don't know the relationship with the original question.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Do older Kindles still have the ability to have collections created by the computer or has that been done away with by some firmware update?
Yes, only newer devices AFAIK were blocked.

Quote:
Newer Kindles cannot have the computer create collections without a jailbreak and a separate plugin. So that's not really relevant to the topic at hand. It's only relevant if the Kindle can have the computer create collections from unmodified firmware.
Why does that make it irrelevant? All I said was that any device which can have its database accessed and modified is compatible with ANY RANGE of calibre columns.

Jailbroken Kindles can have their databases accessed, thus the topic is relevant for jailbroken Kindles (as well as older models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I think some old kindle allowed to create collections from calibre without jailbreaking, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Correct.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Huh???

I am not sure what you are trying to say here...

Rest assured, you can put a title into as many collections as you want. Without resorting to any enhancements whatsoever.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #37
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
You can do that today, at least on devices that support calibre-generated collections like my PRS-350 that my wife uses and other Sony readers, Android devices running CC, and (I think) Kobos.

I have not proposed any enhancements that affect devices, and in fact have not really proposed any enhancements at all. What I said in post 12 was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Given this fact, we are left with finding ways for people to solve the problem in some way within the existing structure. This is why I added grouped search terms several years ago, to provide a way to search across multiple columns using one lookup name. I am willing to add template functions to improve things if a) their semantics can be described in a sentence or two and b) they are generally useful. A function to return the values in a grouped search term might be one example.
It is up to someone who cares to propose the appropriate semantics for any new template language capabilities.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #38
gsparks2
Connoisseur
gsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Moon+ Reader Pro on Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge International version
Quote:
I have a few books that part of two series. In some cases, I keep two separate copies of the same book so that I can have the metadata for copy 1 show series A and the metadata for copy 2 show series B.
gsparks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature request, series