Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
I'm looking forward to the next generation Kindle, as well as Sony's response to it.
I'm kinda hoping Sony volunteers to make the next-generation Kindle...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
there is a lot of misinformation out there. Do not believe everything you read. The display is the same but the controller driving the display is older (only 4 gray levels instead of Sony's 8).

Dale

I first read that at JKRun a couple of weeks ago but I didn't feel like getting into an argument. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet about everything. BTW it's not the JKRun blog that started the misinformation but it was in the comments section.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
*sigh*

I really wish folks would stop saying things like "bump p-paper into oblivion". Paper isn't going away. Paper books aren't going away. Treating ebooks and paper books as "one or the other" instead of "both" just muddies the emotional waters and obscures the issues.
This is taken out of context. You must read it in the context of "disruptive" technology (which is what this thread is about). From Wikipedia:

Quote:
A disruptive technology or disruptive innovation is a technological innovation, product, or service that uses a "disruptive" strategy, rather than a "sustaining" strategy, to overturn the existing dominant technologies or status quo products in a market... The concept shares many similarities with biological evolution...

Unresolved examples of technologies promoted as 'disruptive innovations'

* ebooks vs. paper books
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #19
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
I don't know about the disruption of paperback books. E-readers will impact them. A tipping point may occur when/if the Sony or Kindle reader hits $100 or less. Right now, frequent travellers will ultimately move to an e-reader and move away from paper. "Where can I get one of those?" has been asked of me so often that I'm thinking about asking Sony for a sales commision. Bottomline is who wants to retain dozens of used, yellowing pulp fiction paperbacks? E-books are cheaper, store easier and read just as well (if not better because of font changing) than a paperback. Just as downloadable MP3's will kill CD sales (already in rapid decline), ebooks will have a similar impact on paper. Not a total kill, but definitely such an impact that e-sales will become available in bookstores ultimately, in my opinion.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #20
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
The Kindle download system does away with the need for a bookstore, so I disagree with you about ebook sales in a store.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #21
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.gotwald View Post
Bottomline is who wants to retain dozens of used, yellowing pulp fiction paperbacks?
I can think of quite a few people I know who would defend their dozens (nay, thousands!) of used, yellowing pulp fiction paperbacks to the death!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #22
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
This is taken out of context. You must read it in the context of "disruptive" technology (which is what this thread is about). From Wikipedia:
I understand the context. I still disagree with the comment, for the reasons stated.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #23
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
I can think of quite a few people I know who would defend their dozens (nay, thousands!) of used, yellowing pulp fiction paperbacks to the death!
<Raises hand>

Especially since a lot of mine haven't seen ebook republication.
______
Dennis
Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
I would, too... unless I could get them electronically. My number is "hundreds of," so turning that load of pulp into a single drive's worth of content would be sub-zero.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #25
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Death to the papyrus eaters of the West!

Long live the Mighty Electro-Phoretic Priests and their gifts from the Gods!

All right, now that everyone knows where I stand (would rather burn most of my books for warmth than pack and move them again), I have to sat that I agree that the Kindle could be more disruptive.

Amazon is all ready seen as a paradigm shaker, and they have little to no bad press WRT hardware or customer service (to wods: Root Kit) to overcome.

Someone more tech savvy: could a mini-USB dongle be added to a Reader 500/505? Do not see such a need for a keyboard, but wifi would be nice, especially for travelers.

As dumb as the Kindle looks, I can see it being more comforting to people--the Reader is nearly too slick, too miminalist for some people to not be intimidated. The big buttons, chunky profile, and keyboard have a 'down-home' feel to them.

I can see the Kindle winning, if this is a competition, though I don't know that I'd be happy about it.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #26
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Death to the papyrus eaters of the West!

Long live the Mighty Electro-Phoretic Priests and their gifts from the Gods!

All right, now that everyone knows where I stand (would rather burn most of my books for warmth than pack and move them again), I have to sat that I agree that the Kindle could be more disruptive.
I could live with packing and moving the books. The 1,500 or so vinyl LP records are another matter.

Quote:
Amazon is all ready seen as a paradigm shaker, and they have little to no bad press WRT hardware or customer service (to words: Root Kit) to overcome.
<chuckle>

I don't think folks are worried about a root kit on the PRS-505. (But there's that old devil DRM raising it's ugly head again...)

Quote:
Someone more tech savvy: could a mini-USB dongle be added to a Reader 500/505? Do not see such a need for a keyboard, but wifi would be nice, especially for travelers.
The question isn't whether you can attach a keyboard, but what you would do with it if you did.

Having a keyboard implies something running that you can type into. I'm not sure that exists for the Sony Reader. (Someone with a Reader will corret me if I'm mistaken.)

Someone else here had a pointer to a build for the iRex iLiad of Beaver, a lightweight Linux based text editor. If you have something like that, a keyboard becomes a useful item.

Quote:
As dumb as the Kindle looks, I can see it being more comforting to people--the Reader is nearly too slick, too miminalist for some people to not be intimidated. The big buttons, chunky profile, and keyboard have a 'down-home' feel to them.

I can see the Kindle winning, if this is a competition, though I don't know that I'd be happy about it.
If the Kindle wins (and there are early indications it may be doing so), it will be because of Amazon's marketing prowess. Amazon already has the distribution infrastructure in palce to provide content, and the last I knew had something like four times as much content for the Kindle as the Sony Connect store had for the Reader. I believe that Amazon's store is easier to deal with, too, but since I don't have either device, I have no direct experience in using them. Current Kindle and Sony Reader owners can chime in on this.

Apple has demonstrated with their product line that design sells. I agree the Kindle could look better, but I don't see questionable product design as being a serious factor at this stage. The market is still nascent. The question on the Kindle isn't how good it looks, but rather how easy it is to use. If you get one for your non-technical (or perhaps negative-technical) parents, can they download and read their newspaper, or get content from Amazon's store without calling you for assistance?

If they can, it's a winner. If not, it loses, regardless of how stylish the package is.
______
Dennis
Old 02-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Apple has demonstrated with their product line that design sells. I agree the Kindle could look better, but I don't see questionable product design as being a serious factor at this stage. The market is still nascent. The question on the Kindle isn't how good it looks, but rather how easy it is to use. If you get one for your non-technical (or perhaps negative-technical) parents, can they download and read their newspaper, or get content from Amazon's store without calling you for assistance?

If they can, it's a winner. If not, it loses, regardless of how stylish the package is.
The Kindle has two other factors against it, though. One is its lack of availability in any physical store, making it pretty hard to check it out before you buy. And this impacts the second thing, which is its price, something a lot of people won't accept in a device that they cannot physically see or touch before they cough up the dough for it.

Unless Amazon either lowers the price to a more comfortable point, or announces that everyone can go see a Kindle at Best Buy or someplace, there will continue to be resistance against it.

WRT a keyboard and USB dongle for the 505, if the device could connect wirelessly to the web, you could use the keyboard to interact on websites (perhaps to buy more books). Or to e-mail authors and ask them why their books aren't available as e-books...
Old 02-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
The Kindle has two other factors against it, though. One is its lack of availability in any physical store, making it pretty hard to check it out before you buy. And this impacts the second thing, which is its price, something a lot of people won't accept in a device that they cannot physically see or touch before they cough up the dough for it.

Unless Amazon either lowers the price to a more comfortable point, or announces that everyone can go see a Kindle at Best Buy or someplace, there will continue to be resistance against it.
Since Amazon can't seem to make them fast enough to meet demand, I don't think that's a meaningful factor at the moment.

But I suspect the total number of Kindles sold is in the tens of thousands, at best, and it really needs to be in the hundreds of thousands to be a long term success from Amazon's perspective.

If Amazon can get sales in that range, we may see a price drop, for reasons we've discussed elsewhere. Of course, we'll also see unhappiness from Kindle users who bought at the higher price point when a price drop occurs...

Quote:
WRT a keyboard and USB dongle for the 505, if the device could connect wirelessly to the web, you could use the keyboard to interact on websites (perhaps to buy more books). Or to e-mail authors and ask them why their books aren't available as e-books...
Sure. If software existed for the 505 to let you get content from the web or email authors. Does it?

That's my major problem with dedicated readers: what they don't do. For the prices charged, I need more functionality.
______
Dennis
Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #29
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Regarding PRS-50* add-ons:

I really do not need a keyboard. I *do* see the ease of searching for a new book via wifi as a darn nifty thing, so a USB dongle would be useful. So far as I know, there is a basic system of interface on the device that I think could be used to work the wifi purchasing. If I am not mistaken, there are hacks available on MobileRead for clocks and other apps that utlise the 5-way navigator.

Again, I LOVE MY READER. I do not see the lack of wifi as a detriment but I can see how that feature could sway people toward the Kindle. With web access to periodicals, the Kindle makes That being said, colour screens will be crucial to such a step; Comics and magazine would be great in colour, and it could help in the non-fiction department.

Amazon does seem to have the upperhand in marketing. Every time I look at Amazon.com, cannot escape seeing the Kindle. Visit www.sony.com, and I get all itchy. Dang, but that site is too slick for its own good. However, as Steve points out, many people appreciate having a device in their hot little hands. Especially one that costs $400.

If Nate's post about both readers entering the UK market is true (sorry I can't imbed links yet), then we'll really have a neat contest on our hands.

SONY has gone 1/2 in its format battles. Am eager to see how round 3 works out.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote