Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #541
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I gave blood, got my hair cut, and trimmed my nails. I've lost four pounds. Of course, most of that was probably from exercising like a dog every day and NOT EATING A BLESSED THING (dammit!)!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #542
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Good idea! I might get a haircut this week! It should be good for a few grams for next week. I already trimmed my nails this week, and you can only go so short.

Chest infection nearly gone, maybe back to the gym tommorrow.

things are looking up (or down as far as the scales go)

"must ... try .... to resist opened bottle of wine in the fridge"
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #543
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I'm going to start a diet - again. Put on a kilo while away, not as bad as I was expecting. Back to the gym on Wed to do what I can with one hand.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #544
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Having just weighed myself for the first time in a couple of months, I can follow up by saying that I stayed pretty much level until the last couple of months! Up 2.5kg. Whoops. I think I've been having too many biscuits and snacks. Time to pay more attention to what I'm eating, and to not snack while reading.
Quote:
Well, that really worked. Not.

Of course, eating far too much over Christmas and New Year didn't help, either. But the net result is that instead of being 2 to 3 kg above my target weight as I was four months ago, I'm now more like 6 to 7kg above it.

So: I shall apply myself again. I shall eat a bit less, and not snack while reading. And to encourage myself, I promise to report back here once a week or so on my progress!
Well, I really failed on the reporting back every week!

But the good news is that my weight hasn't gone up any further. I'm currently around 75kg, and I'm aiming for 68kg.

Not a lot, really. But it would be nice to fit into a 34" waist again by losing the excess abdominal fat. And to go from the last notch on my kilt straps to the first!

How are the rest of you doing?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #545
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've added a couple more pounds since January which means I'm a bit over 20 pounds heavier than the 150 I was at last September. It's a real struggle but I intend to lose it all again. Exhale harder!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #546
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am fat again! 76kg (should be about 65)
And a week with no booze did not help because I filled the void with chocolate and biscuits etc etc. Going to boozer today to get wine.

Not really extremely fat, but I can now pinch over an inch on my belly which I think may be too much. besides it it winter here and I have to keep warm somehow.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #547
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But the good news is that my weight hasn't gone up any further. I'm currently around 75kg, and I'm aiming for 68kg.
Looking back over my posts for the past year and a bit, I can see that I have definitely been lax - having (overall) gone up by 2kg from my starting 73kg. But I think that at my high point I was up by 4kg.

This doesn't bode well for the longer term. I shall have to try to change my diet enough to make keeping the weight off easier, not just when I'm concentrating on it!

Still - 75kg now, and I've changed my aim point from 70kg to 68kg. I aim to be there at the beginning of December. We shall see!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #548
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I absolutely don't want to say anything against your favourite drinks, it's a purely "scientific" question: isn't a coke zero almost as bad as a "normal" coke when you want to lose weight?

Have almost an identical aim, want to get from 78 to 70 kg.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #549
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I absolutely don't want to say anything against your favourite drinks, it's a purely "scientific" question: isn't a coke zero almost as bad as a "normal" coke when you want to lose weight?
That's a very complex question, as to get a proper answer requires examining the whole question of the effect of artificial sweeteners on human appetite and eating habits.

The simplistic answer is that a can of Coke Zero has about 1 Calorie, and a can of normal coke has about 130 Calories, so obviously, drinking four cans of Coke Zero gives you almost none of your daily energy requirement, while four cans of Coca-Cola gives you more than a quarter of your daily energy requirements.

This is why I now drink Coke Zero!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #550
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Do they make zero calorie red wine?

I thought not! Bugger. You blokes are going to get skinny before me unless I pull my finger out and do something serious. And I am going away which always makes me fat!

Creeping up towards 77 kilos now and should be 65. Do your bones get heavier as you get older?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #551
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Do your bones get heavier as you get older?
Only if you're doing exercise that stresses your bones.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #552
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
102.5kg... used to be >110kg... should go down to 90kg... but that's wishful thinking.

Currently in the 2nd week of a one meal per day diet. No breakfast, no supper, no snacks. And the one meal per day you only eat until you're satisfied, not stuffing yourself.

For drink, only water. I couldn't do it with coke. Sweet stuff only makes you crave for even more sweet stuff. It makes any diet unbearable.

Last week I gave in and bought four chocolate bars, although I did not touch them, yet. But I don't know if I'll still be on diet next week, either. This weekend there'll be a delicious homemade pizza which I can't possibly avoid. It'll probably be the end of me and my diet... and back to my chocolate & milk addiction... but we'll see.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #553
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Welcome to the diet thread. Congratulations on the 7.5kg loss. That's a good start.

But I have to say that the 'one meal per day diet" sounds like a terrible idea to me, and the idea that eating one item not on your diet (however you make your plan) means you should give up seems rather silly.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think that 'fad' diets aren't a good idea at all. For long-term weight loss you really need to make changes to your normal diet that you can just continue with. I'm not sure that only eating once per day is viable long-term.

The changes I've made to mine are to just eat a little less than I might have done in the past at each meal, and not to absent-mindedly snack on crisp/nuts/biscuits while reading. It is the latter that is hardest, but I just have to get used to not snacking while reading.

But if I do snack, I won't stop trying. A small snack while reading once or twice a month won't actually make a lot of difference. It's a small snack once or twice a day while reading that's the problem!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #554
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Have you considered the sodium in your Coke Zero's? They may not have any calories but they do still have sodium. I love my Diet Pepsi but I try to keep it to one can per day. Usually at lunch.

Lifestyle changes are not easy. Especially the snacking part. That's usually my downfall as well.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #555
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I don't have any problems with my sodium intake, and in any case, a can of Coke Zero contains about 40mg of sodium, less than 2% of RDA.