Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Kindle goes a diet

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/a...own-in-august/

Wonder how much it will cost. *also I forgot to put on in the title grammar fail.*
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
oh wow I don't like that AT ALL!!!! having page turn buttons on both sides of the screen is a MUST for me!!! also, having just switched to the K2 from the K1, I've noticed that the skinnier unit is not necessarily a good thing!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I hope its readable in the sun
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
having page turn buttons on both sides of the screen is a MUST for me!!!
I agree. I like being able to switch hands.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
That is a DX on the picture and that one only had one button to begin with but if they make the K2 look like the DX it would make it much smaller and that will be sweet
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
.... I don't think my Kindle needs to be any thinner....

Maybe the DX could be a bit lighter, but thinner??
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
hmmm... decisions... still thinking of getting a DX, but Bloomberg says better contrast and page turning... think i have to wait again til august?

and with this, unless the price of the 'new & improved' eink screen increases by a lot, amazon has to keep the same price(or lower), and possibly lower the price or the older version or give more refurbished units out... hmm
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
oh wow I don't like that AT ALL!!!! having page turn buttons on both sides of the screen is a MUST for me!!!
The pic on the website isn't the upcoming new Kindle, it's a current Kindle DX.

I do agree that having the buttons on both sides is very much a feature I want. What I really like the idea of is the higher contrast screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I had no idea the DX only had the buttons on one side!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Good news for us K2 users. No reason to upgrade to that!
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you want to your DX buttons on the left side either manually change the orientation to upside down if you don't have it on automatic.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
oh wow I don't like that AT ALL!!!! having page turn buttons on both sides of the screen is a MUST for me!!! also, having just switched to the K2 from the K1, I've noticed that the skinnier unit is not necessarily a good thing!
Looks like a huge leap backward.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I hope its readable in the sun
Yours isn't?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
The next Kindle really needs a touch screen (as well as improved speed and contrast). I find using the dictionary, highlighting, selecting links, etc. to be frustrating to the point that I generally ignore these features.

Everyone who picks up my Kindle who hasn't seen one before tries touching things on the screen.

If they can add a touch screen without damaging the readability then they will be onto a winner.

If they don't add touch I can't see mainstream users buying a Kindle over a tablet even though I personally find e-ink far superior to LCD for reading.

And does the Kindle need to be thinner? It's already incredibly thin, and I don't hear anybody complaining about its thickness. Any thinner and I think it might stray into 'flimsy' territory.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
The next Kindle really needs a touch screen (as well as improved speed and contrast). I find using the dictionary, highlighting, selecting links, etc. to be frustrating to the point that I generally ignore these features.

Everyone who picks up my Kindle who hasn't seen one before tries touching things on the screen.

If they can add a touch screen without damaging the readability then they will be onto a winner.

If they don't add touch I can't see mainstream users buying a Kindle over a tablet even though I personally find e-ink far superior to LCD for reading.

And does the Kindle need to be thinner? It's already incredibly thin, and I don't hear anybody complaining about its thickness. Any thinner and I think it might stray into 'flimsy' territory.
I have a Sony Touch and I find it's easier taking notes and underling on the Kindle. On the Sony, it's a bit more difficult starting and stopping the highlighting exactly where I want, even with the stylus, and calling up the virtual keyboard introduces a bit of a lag into the process of entering text. There's nothing like having a permanent physical keyboard right there whenever you need it. The Sony isn't bad, but in my opinion, the Kindle is better and easier for that. I take notes and use the dictionary function constantly. If Amazon ever comes out with a touchscreen Kindle, I hope it will be an addition to their Kindle line, and not a replacement.

Thinner I don't need. Like you, I'm afraid thinner could result in a less sturdy device.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm championing the K2 over the Sony Touch in every respect. There are areas where I feel the Sony outshines the Kindle (such as page turning), but note-taking and ease of dictionary use are, in my opinion, not those areas.