Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #976
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
So is it 'safe' to download the 3.8 to my Glo? Are people like davidfor, DNSB and PeterT giving some sort of 'go ahead' to the download?

Does one download in the usual way that Murg suggests on page 1?
Yes, the usual way works. Make sure you use the right version for your device.

Not sure about anyone else but I like playing with the newest firmware even at the risk of a factory reset and rolling back to an older version. So far, 3.8.0 has not caused any serious issues on my Aura HD, the wife's Aura and the daughter's Glo in a few hours of limited testing.

The only nits so far is the weird mini thumbnail in the upper left corner of the sleep screen that I first noticed on 3.7.0 and my usual whinging about the brightness level going 27%-28%-28%-30%.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 AM   #977
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I noticed that little thumbnail too, not sure what the purpose is. Everything seems to be running fine on my HD with 3.8.0 after reading for a couple of hours.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #978
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Is this safe for my 6 inch Aura?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #979
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes, the usual way works. Make sure you use the right version for your device.

Not sure about anyone else but I like playing with the newest firmware even at the risk of a factory reset and rolling back to an older version. So far, 3.8.0 has not caused any serious issues on my Aura HD, the wife's Aura and the daughter's Glo in a few hours of limited testing.

The only nits so far is the weird mini thumbnail in the upper left corner of the sleep screen that I first noticed on 3.7.0 and my usual whinging about the brightness level going 27%-28%-28%-30%.

Regards,
David
Thanks just seen this.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #980
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I've followed the instructions and placed the zip file in the .kobo folder and properly ejected but nothing happens. It won't install.

Can anyone tell me what i might be doing wrong?
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #981
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I've followed the instructions and placed the zip file in the .kobo folder and properly ejected but nothing happens. It won't install.

Can anyone tell me what i might be doing wrong?
Not the zip file. As the instructions in the first messages say: zip content, the two files and the directory inside the file.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #982
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Not the zip file. As the instructions in the first messages say: zip content, the two files and the directory inside the file.
Thank you

Thats what happens when i read from step 6 and not from step 1

Sorry and thanks again
Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #983
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I sideloaded 3.8 to my Auras (HD and 6") this morning, and I have no mini thumbnail on the sleep screen contrary to you and others. Could it be because I jumped directly from 3.5 to 3.8?

I really like the light adjustment through swiping the left border, and the MUCH improved responses when deleting or marking as read sideloaded kepubs (I have no epubs to compare).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #984
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Thanks!
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #985
Rps
Grammar and Grandpa!
Rps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPad Air
Question for you. I am going to buy the Aura HD, but I noticed the H2O can read ePub and epub3. I am not sure if this means I should up to the new model? From what I have been able to find epub3 is an enhancement for formulas and graphics, if that is the case then will I be okay with just ePub ... In other words, in a year or so it will not be a brick? Also, is there a benefit between sleep and off ..... Other than startup time. I have a Mac and everyone recommends that I use sleep mode rather than shut down .... Same for an ereader?
Rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #986
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rps View Post
Question for you. I am going to buy the Aura HD, but I noticed the H2O can read ePub and epub3. I am not sure if this means I should up to the new model? From what I have been able to find epub3 is an enhancement for formulas and graphics, if that is the case then will I be okay with just ePub ... In other words, in a year or so it will not be a brick? Also, is there a benefit between sleep and off ..... Other than startup time. I have a Mac and everyone recommends that I use sleep mode rather than shut down .... Same for an ereader?
Not really on topic in this thread but the Kobo ereaders have two renderers for displaying epub files. The one used for .epub files and compatibility with Adobe's DRM scheme is the RMSDK (Reader Mobile Software Development Kit), the alternative reader used for .kepub.epub files is ACCESS' NetFront BookReader EPUB which is epub3 compatible (more or less) and is used with Kobo's own DRM scheme.

There are some differences between how the two of them display an ebook, some are design choices, others are similar to the differences between Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari where standards are interpreted slightly differently resulting in webpages looking slightly different.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #987
Rps
Grammar and Grandpa!
Rps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPad Air
Thanx for the info. Sorry about the location where my question was posted wasn't where I thought I was. Mea culpa.
Rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #988
Karen Myers
Karen Myers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've just done the sideload firmware upgrade for Kobo Aura 3.3.0, and it seems to be fine.

Summary for anyone who find it useful... (problem: Windows could not recognize the device after firmware upgrade).

1) With the out-of-the-box factory installed 2.8.0 (Aura) firmware, Windows can see the device properly. I've copied that installation to a backup.

2) I've downloaded the 3.3.0 firmware from MobileRead (thank you) and copied it onto the device directly. I unplugged the device, and it took the update. When I plug it back in, Windows (and Calibre) can see the device properly. Yay - this is progress.

3) Finally, I need to bypass the registration, since that step is the kiss of death for Windows recognizing the device. Here's an SQL statement to execute to create a suitable record in the "user" table of the Kobo/KoboReader.sqlite to replace the one that's left by the sideloaded firmware, once upgraded.

INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa','aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa','xxxx@xxxx.xxx','xxxx@xxxx.xxx','a', 'a','FALSE','FALSE','FALSE');
Karen Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #989
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
What are the new functions or bug fixes brought by the version 3.8.0 ?

Do you know if night mode run with this version ?
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #990
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
What are the new functions or bug fixes brought by the version 3.8.0 ?

Do you know if night mode run with this version ?
I answer to my own question : here are the changes https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2907910
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote