Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
lugopt
lugopt began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to speed up Calibre start?

Hello,

Is there any way I could configure Calibre so that it won't open EVERY .mobi/.epub whenever it start or opens a different library?
I notice Calibre every time it starts goes and open EVERY .mobi/.epub file.

My Calibre library has been growing for quite some time and I notice Calibre is getting slower to start. Now it takes more than one minute to start Calibre.

I started to split eBooks in different libraries but even to switch libraries it takes much more time than I would like.

Thank you,
lugopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugopt View Post
Hello,

Is there any way I could configure Calibre so that it won't open EVERY .mobi/.epub whenever it start or opens a different library?
I notice Calibre every time it starts goes and open EVERY .mobi/.epub file.

My Calibre library has been growing for quite some time and I notice Calibre is getting slower to start. Now it takes more than one minute to start Calibre.

I started to split eBooks in different libraries but even to switch libraries it takes much more time than I would like.

Thank you,
Open?
Are you using Calibre.exe or ebook-viewer?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not open any ebook files on start. Exclude the calibre library directory from your anti-virus scan. As a reference, my 20,000 book test library opens in under 10 secs

calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
Started up in 7.43191099167 with 20000 books
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Have the same issue, 14000 books
start caliber, stare at a white window (not responding txt in win title) for 1:32sec then it starts

Maybe I should do a clean install
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
4000+ books. 6 seconds from spinning ball to fully loaded.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Curiously, I tried the debug statement myself and discovered calibre to state:
Started up in 2.58100008965 with 5000+ books

But, I get also a reasonable amount of warnings, like:

FT_Stream_Open: could not open FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/._StaticCache.dat'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/%StaticCache.dat'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Windows/fonts/.AppleDouble/StaticCache.dat'
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (171)
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (177)
TT_Load_Simple_Glyph: Too many instructions (174)
FT_Stream_EnterFrame: invalid read; expected 148 bytes, got 65
FT_Stream_ReadAt: invalid read; expected 128 bytes, got 65

All in all there are a lot complaints about missing fonts, so I expect that calibre can even startup more quickly when the above "issues" were resolved somehow.

Just my 2cts.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may have a corrupted font (or simply too many have been installed in Windows).
Try changing the font Calibre uses. Preferences: Look and feel
Old 12-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Replacing the standard Calibre interface font MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt] to anything else did solve the problem. After restarting though, font MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt] does not seems to exist anymore. Curious.

My startup time improved to 2.32299995422 for 5000+ books

Question: As I never ever have changed calibre's default interface font, what does calibre uses currently as the real default font?

(yes, I could use the restore "default" setting, but I am afraid it will restore all other settings to their default too)

Last edited by DrChiper; 12-24-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: adding extra remarks
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Replacing the standard Calibre interface font MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt] to anything else did solve the problem. After restarting though, font MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt] does not seems to exist anymore. Curious.

My startup time improved to 2.32299995422 for 5000+ books

Question: As I never ever have changed calibre's default interface font, what does calibre uses currently as the real default font?

(yes, I could use the restore "default" setting, but I am afraid it will restore all other settings to their default too)
I don't know the default (That may have been it). Shell Dlg2 is probably a Pseudo font for the current Windows Theme (Dialog font) setting.

This has hit me also, but I tend to Advanced tweak the Individual Desktop settings
Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The default is Shell Dlg 2 and yes, it is a pseudo font.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Quote:
MS Shell Dlg 2 simply uses the Tahoma font regardless of language. The main advantage of Tahoma over Microsoft Sans Serif is that Tahoma has a native bold font face. Its main disadvantage is that older operating systems might not have it installed, and might substitute a less attractive font.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #12
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
weirdly after using cmd to open, it now only takes 19seconds, instead of 1m30. so all's good

EDIT - Hrm, that was only after repeatingly opening Calibre

After restarting Windows, Calibre takes 2 minuets to load

Going to try a clean install of the program and see if that helps

EDIT 2:

Fresh install of Calibre and Yikes now even longer
C:\Users\transmit>calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
Started up in 129.690000057 with 13988 books

Seems like Boxing day is going to be a full re install of windows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2min startup time.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	80382  

Last edited by transmitthis; 12-26-2011 at 06:09 AM.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
lugopt
lugopt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well maybe it's not EVERY .mobi/.epub but lots of them and I said that because I saw that using sysinternals Procmon. My Interface font is "MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt]". I did change the Ebook Viewer fonts to Cambria (Serif family), Segoe UI Light (Sans family) and Courier New (Monospace family).

Does anyone know what could be triggering this behaviour?

I installed some pluggins that could change Calibre behaviour: Extract ISBN and Find Duplicates.

Here are the stats to start calibre with different libraries:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2>calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
Started up in 87.4370000362 with 9453 books

Starting up...
Started up in 48.4930000305 with 14041 books

Quote:
00:32:36.6370256 calibre-debug.exe 6152 QueryOpen D:\eBooks\metadata.db-journal NAME NOT FOUND
00:32:36.6370585 calibre-debug.exe 6152 QueryStandardInformationFile D:\eBooks\metadata.db SUCCESS AllocationSize: 57,786,368, EndOfFile: 57,784,320, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
00:32:36.6370782 calibre-debug.exe 6152 ReadFile D:\eBooks\metadata.db FAST IO DISALLOWED Offset: 24, Length: 16
00:32:36.6370948 calibre-debug.exe 6152 ReadFile D:\eBooks\metadata.db SUCCESS Offset: 24, Length: 16, Priority: Normal
00:32:36.6371590 calibre-debug.exe 6152 UnlockFileSingle D:\eBooks\metadata.db FAST IO DISALLOWED Offset: 1,073,741,826, Length: 510
00:32:36.6371744 calibre-debug.exe 6152 UnlockFileSingle D:\eBooks\metadata.db SUCCESS Offset: 1,073,741,826, Length: 510
00:32:36.6374554 calibre-debug.exe 6152 QueryOpen D:\eBooks\Doranna Durgin\A Feral Darkness (7244)\A Feral Darkness - Doranna Durgin.epub SUCCESS CreationTime: 20-12-2011 20:29:52, LastAccessTime: 20-12-2011 20:29:52, LastWriteTime: 18-01-2011 19:02:53, ChangeTime: 20-12-2011 20:29:52, AllocationSize: 348,160, EndOfFile: 346,943, FileAttributes: A
00:32:36.6376009 calibre-debug.exe 6152 QueryOpen D:\eBooks\Doranna Durgin\A Feral Darkness (7244)\A Feral Darkness - Doranna Durgin.epub SUCCESS CreationTime: 20-12-2011 20:29:52, LastAccessTime: 20-12-2011 20:29:52, LastWriteTime: 18-01-2011 19:02:53, ChangeTime: 20-12-2011 20:29:52, AllocationSize: 348,160, EndOfFile: 346,943, FileAttributes: A
00:32:36.6377236 calibre-debug.exe 6152 LockFile D:\eBooks\metadata.db FAST IO DISALLOWED Exclusive: True, Offset: 1,073,741,824, Length: 1, Fail Immediately: True
00:32:36.6377399 calibre-debug.exe 6152 LockFile D:\eBooks\metadata.db SUCCESS Exclusive: True, Offset: 1,073,741,824, Length: 1, Fail Immediately: True
00:32:36.6377574 calibre-debug.exe 6152 LockFile D:\eBooks\metadata.db FAST IO DISALLOWED Exclusive: False, Offset: 1,073,741,826, Length: 510, Fail Immediately: True
00:32:36.6377719 calibre-debug.exe 6152 LockFile D:\eBooks\metadata.db SUCCESS Exclusive: False, Offset: 1,073,741,826, Length: 510, Fail Immediately: True
00:32:36.6377891 calibre-debug.exe 6152 UnlockFileSingle D:\eBooks\metadata.db FAST IO DISALLOWED Offset: 1,073,741,824, Length: 1
00:32:36.6378036 calibre-debug.exe 6152 UnlockFileSingle D:\eBooks\metadata.db SUCCESS Offset: 1,073,741,824, Length: 1
lugopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugopt View Post
Well maybe it's not EVERY .mobi/.epub but lots of them and I said that because I saw that using sysinternals Procmon. My Interface font is "MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt]". I did change the Ebook Viewer fonts to Cambria (Serif family), Segoe UI Light (Sans family) and Courier New (Monospace family).

Does anyone know what could be triggering this behaviour?

I installed some pluggins that could change Calibre behaviour: Extract ISBN and Find Duplicates.

Here are the stats to start calibre with different libraries:

Starting up...
Started up in 87.4370000362 with 9453 books

Starting up...
Started up in 48.4930000305 with 14041 books
By any chance is D: your device?
That is how Calibre determines what is on the device, NOT the main Library
Old 12-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Also see this Sorting/searching composite column causes slow startup
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote