Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Odd letters/characters

I recently opened a book that appears to be normal in all respects except that many paragraphs begin and/or end with "â". Does anyone know why that might be? I suppose I could just do a search and replace to delete that character (hopefully it isn't used in any real words), but I was wondering if this was some kind of formatting error or if Calibre has a built in way to remedy issues like this.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
I recently opened a book that appears to be normal in all respects except that many paragraphs begin and/or end with "â". Does anyone know why that might be? I suppose I could just do a search and replace to delete that character (hopefully it isn't used in any real words), but I was wondering if this was some kind of formatting error or if Calibre has a built in way to remedy issues like this.
Is that the only odd character in all the book?
Usually there are a few more, which indicates that the Auto-magic code page guess was wrong and you will have to force a CODEPAGE setting.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That is an encoding issue. You;ll have to go back to the source file and set it so it's UTF-8 and then convert again.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, I don't have the source file; just the ebook that was provided to me. So far the â is the only odd character that I've noticed, but that was after a fairly quick skim of the book. Is there a way in Calibre to reconvert the book (it's already an ePub) from ePub to ePub but change the codepage along the way? Would that help? How do I find out what the codepage in the file is set to?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have the source file; just the ebook that was provided to me. So far the â is the only odd character that I've noticed, but that was after a fairly quick skim of the book. Is there a way in Calibre to reconvert the book (it's already an ePub) from ePub to ePub but change the codepage along the way? Would that help? How do I find out what the codepage in the file is set to?
Code page tells everyone what WAS there., once that is lost. GIGO
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That depends. If I am not mistaken, â is one of the quotes. So, you have tyo look at the XML in the ePub and see if you have quotes or â. If you have â and not quotes the ePub is screwed up. If you have quotes and do not see â in the XML files, then you just have to fix the codepage and/or the encoding of the files. Good luck.

For example, I've had books set to the wrong codepage and when I loaded into Sigil, they got converted and screwed up. I didn't save them. I just backed out and fixed things before loading again with Sigil and it was fine.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I just had the same problem. The epub was fine in ADE, but when I added it to calibre all the quotes changed to the a with a caret on top. I found the thread linked below and tried converting epub to epub with this:

On Conversion Screen: Look and Feel: Character encoding: try cp1252

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139753

It worked!! Now it looks the same in calibre and ADE.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

Following the recommendations here (and in that old thread), I loaded the ePub into Calibre, did a convert (from ePub to ePub) but in the Input character encoding field I selected cp1252 and ... it worked! The book now appears to be formatted correctly. Some of the â characters became quotation marks, others became em dashes.