Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #31
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I think many people who bought the paper format of Harry Potter books were not aware of e-books at the time, especially the earlier books. Harry Potter has also been one of those few series you might want to have a paper copy in your house as it is set to become a classic series. I know for us, once we had an e-reader, we went looking for e-book format of Harry Potter (having already owned the paper copies) and were not able to get it so we are pretty happy that there will be that option. I do think it was a little slow in coming but there are lots of fans that own Harry Potter books in many different formats and will now get the e-books too.

As for Lord of the Rings, not the same at all. I have to say, I had difficulty when I tried to read Lord of the Rings and really did not enjoy them, but I love the Harry Potter series. Two very different series.

Jodi
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #32
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Seeing as this is the e-reader forum and not the Harry Potter fan forum, I don't see what's wrong with Rowling's milking her cashcow.

The website can go mooh for all I care as long as it has a positive synergy on Sony readers specifically. Leave her originality or lack thereof to the Harry Potter fansite and just cross your fingers and wish really really hard that this makes Sony take their e-readers a bit more seriously.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #33
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I am quite happy to replace my paper copies with ebooks. And I know just the little girl that I want to give my hardcovers to. It's a win-win for me.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #34
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Prove to us that HP is a LoTR rip-off. I bet you can't because it isn't true.
You completely missed the point of my post. This was very much a tongue-in-cheek comment, which is why there was a 'wink' emoticon at the end.

To be honest it there ever was a rip-off of Lord of the Rings then that would have to be Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. That series features magic (with the use of a ring), giants and other strange creatures. and the story line is one person on a quest trying to rid the world of evil. Sound familiar?
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
You completely missed the point of my post. This was very much a tongue-in-cheek comment, which is why there was a 'wink' emoticon at the end.

To be honest it there ever was a rip-off of Lord of the Rings then that would have to be Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. That series features magic (with the use of a ring), giants and other strange creatures. and the story line is one person on a quest trying to rid the world of evil. Sound familiar?
Again, I have to disagree. I don't think it's a rip-off of LoTR. The closest I've read is The Sword of Shannara.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-27-2011 at 12:45 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #36
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Again, I have to disagree. I don't think it's a rip-off of LoTR. The closest I've read is The Sward of Shannara.
I believe you meant Sword.

I think it might be safe to say that a number of fantasy books have been influenced in some way by Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Saying that these books are rip-offs, however, is inaccurate.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I believe you meant Sword.

I think it might be safe to say that a number of fantasy books have been influenced in some way by Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Saying that these books are rip-offs, however, is inaccurate.
I'm not saying Sword of Shannara is a rip-off. It's just the closest influenced book I've yet read. I do feel that the series has taken a turn that makes it less LoTRish and more it's own series.

Yes, a lot of books can be sead to have taken something from LotR. Even HP has some minor similarities. Magic, Dumbldore, Trolls, giant spiders, taverns just to name a few. But overall, the story is a very far divergence from LoTR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #38
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Wow, lots of similarities... I guess all the detective stories qualify as Sherlock Holmes rip-offs... you know, detectives, criminals, puzzles, police, crimes... all the same...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote