Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
bhealey
bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
"Shattered Wings," by Bryan Healey - $2.99 on Kindle

My most recent novel, "Shattered Wings," is $2.99 for Kindle/nook and $9.99 in paperback. It is the story of a man named John who is struggling to reconcile an unexpected unemployment with his recollected troubles with discrimination, addiction and family.

A brief summary:
"John has the life he wants: A man he loves, a beautiful little girl and a decent white-collar job. But a sudden layoff brings about financial and emotional struggle. In his inability to secure new work and a growing sense of despair, he relapses into alcoholism and faces his demons of addiction, discrimination, and regret as he tries desperately to regain the life he had."

A recent review:

"I'm still in a bit of a shock at the ending. I finished it a couple of hours ago after having spent yesterday reading the majority of the book, and let me tell you, this is one powerful book... The author has managed to capture the oppressed atmosphere that John is living in, and the reader also begins to feel trapped, begins to wait for a cell phone to ring that never does."

- Carabosse's Library

Book website: Shattered Wings
Barnes and Noble (nook)
Amazon (Kindle / paperback)

Last edited by bhealey; 05-23-2011 at 09:45 AM.
bhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For those who prefer Smashwords, here's the link:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56741

It's always good to get a reviewer in shock when reading your book if that was your intention. I've put this book on my wish list.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
bhealey
bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bhealey knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
For those who prefer Smashwords, here's the link:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56741

It's always good to get a reviewer in shock when reading your book if that was your intention. I've put this book on my wish list.

Regards
Caleb
Thank you very much for the link! I should have thought of that; very much appreciated.

And yes, shock is a key element of the story.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
bhealey

I'm so happy!

Today I received what very well may be the best review I've ever received! I'm so happy I could cry...

Quote:
I was struck by the stark cover of Healey's book--always a promising sign. I was not disappointed. Healey has written a very timely novel that literally moved me to tears--which is hard to do and to me, signifies a book that not only satisfies but lingers in my head. His style of writing is lyrical but not overdone.

One sign of his brilliant talent is that when I began reading, I envisioned the narrator to be a woman. It's only a few pages in do I realize that this is a gay couple. I went back to the beginning to re-read so that I had the right picture in my head. But truly, aside from a few places in the book, John and Charlie are "every family" and quite accessible to any reader. I find it wonderful, as a bisexual woman, to find a novel that is modern and mainstream and doesn't need to feel like it has to be different because it features a gay couple.

A bit of a tongue-in-cheek warning: there are no chapters. So if you're a voracious reader like I am, you may find yourself devouring this book far too quickly or staying up into the wee hours of the morning. It's nearly impossible to pace yourself with such a wonderful book in hand.

I heartily recommend Shattered Wings, *need* to find Healy's other work, and cannot wait for more to come. I think his literary voice will go far!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This is great! You have every right to be proud and happy! A very fine and thoughtful review that will bring you lots of new readers.

Enjoy it!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Dear Author:

You are allowed to post an image - AND ONLY IN THE FIRST POST - if you desire. Images cannot be more than 300 pixels in height.

You will find that almost every author uses an image for his or her self-promotion.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
bhealey

Hello Dr. Drib,

I added a small image of the cover, as per your suggestion. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I really like that cover.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
bhealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I really like that cover.
Thank you!