Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Borders launches its self-publishing service

But it's service with a fee: $89.99 or $199.99.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...g-service.html

Jan
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, this is a white-hot thread, huh? If I were Borders, I'd be looking at the total non-response to their announcement with more than a bit of worry.

My own reaction is: I can self-publish on the #1 bookseller's site for free, and on the #2 bookseller's site for free, and on Smashwords with distribution to B&N, Kobobooks, Diesel, Apple and the Sony store for free. Yet Borders wants ninety bucks for distribution through Borders and...not sure who else.

I really have to wonder what a Borders business meeting looks like. It's like a business run from the Bizarro planet.
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I found the comment below the article to be interesting.

Quote:
This is a total non-starter for any serious self-published author - and given the fees involved, this will exclude everyone else automatically. Firstly, the interface is cumbersome at best, with no way to upload complete files: cut and paste is the only option, and this is handled poorly. Graphics, for example, apparently have to be inserted manually wherever they occur, as my efforts to copy and paste entire blocks removed all graphics and only inserted the text. Several further attempts met with varying results, from double-spacing of single-spaced text to the deletion of paragraph indents. More importantly, the statement that Barnes & Noble does not provide an author with a copy of the ePub file produced through the PubIt! program is entirely false: there is a button right on the title edit page to download the file to your computer. Not to mention the many free converters available all over the internet. So they're charging you for something you can get for free elsewhere. In addition, an ISBN is unnecessary for selling eBooks anywhere online. Neither Amazon nor Barnes & Noble require one for publishing with them, instead assigning a standard inventory control number to any title without one. This program is dead on arrival.
--by: scotjohns @ 20101016174605
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sounds to me like the kind of thing you do when you want people to think you can serve self-publishers, but you really, really don't want to.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My opinion is that this is little more than Vanity Press for eBooks. An article recently went on to say (endorsed by Borders) that you can "simply, with one click download your blog and turn it into an ebook).

And they'll simply charge you 90 bucks for doing that - disgraceful attempt. Whoever came up with this stupidity has either been on a very long holiday somewhere really quiet with no media - or they're actually an Employee of Amazon on a mission ...
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
or they're actually an Employee of Amazon on a mission ...
I don't know, given Borders' track record over the last few years I think they're doing a fine job of it without any help from Amazon!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
I played around with this thing for a while this evening. I get the impression "BookBrewer" isn't actually a Borders product, but maybe I'm wrong. It felt as though it was a totally separate company which Borders had contracted with to handle their entry into the self-publishing ebook market. I say that because the BookBrewer site refers to making your ebook available at multiple ebook sellers, without ever mentioning Borders by name.

Unfortunately, it's a terrible model, since, as pointed out above, there are several options ebook authors have that are completely free...and not brand-new, untested BETA software that's full of errors. This stuff is totally not ready for prime time, and even when it does run, all it does is turn your formatted file back into a plain jane text file with double-spacing between paragraphs--bleah!

Who thought this was a good business move? Why not just accept pre-formed epub or mobi files? Duh!

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Rhynedahll
Connoisseur
Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Seems to me that Borders was in bankruptcy? Or headed there?

As others have said above, with both Amazon and B&N offering excellent deals, it seems to me that only the foolish who go with such an offer.

I would suggest that Borders needs to jump on the emerging model train and offer a 79% deal.
Rhynedahll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru

Honestly, I don't think that Borders is capable of saving itself. I'm not happy about this, as I would dearly love for them to succeed, but absolutely nothing they're doing shows me that anyone in management has a clue about how to buoy up this sinking ship.

Borders is the only retailer in the USA of the Kobo reader, which I love. So it saddens me to see the Kindle, sponsored by the #1 bookseller in America, also available at Target and Best Buy and Staples, while the Kobo's future is tied to that of Borders, which is failing fast. This is a bad sign for epub and open standards in general.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
Who thought this was a good business move?
Some exec who doesn't know jack about ebooks, but wanted to tell some equally-clueless shareholder: "Sure, we do that."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not only is charging the $90 fee for distribution a bad idea (making it a vanity press), but the $199 it's charging to create (but not distribute) e-books far exceeds what other e-book producers cost ($50-$100). Borders doesn't seem likely to survive. Which is too bad, because my local Borders is the only bookstore that has really supported me as an author.
L.J.

The Sex Club is now $.99!
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhynedahll View Post
I would suggest that Borders needs to jump on the emerging model train and offer a 79% deal.
Now that would actually make sense. If they just accepted pre-made ebooks, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, and let authors have a bigger share than the "big guys", like Smashwords does, they would create a competitive edge for themselves.

Raise your hand if you think their execs did any market research on this topic before jumping in...
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
the news is constantly reporting that ebooks are killing stores like borders and barnes and noble, as well as publishers, when in reality they're doing a fine job of finding ways to damage their businesses all by themselves.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #14
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Huh, Sex Club - and an Oregon author - for 99 cents. How can I resist.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote