Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #21646
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I decided on The Armageddon Inheritance by David Weber. The second in the Dahak trilogy. I read the first part about three years ago and noticed the rest of the trilogy (Empire from the Ashes) was still on my ereader. Figured I'd complete and delete.
This installment was ok, perhaps, a little too predictable. Three battles occur in good detail and strategic development. Typical military sci-fi where one has to suspend belief to enjoy it. But that's fine with me. Visualizing the number and size of ships was difficult but that just made the climax more incredible and satisfying. Grade C [3 stars].

Next book TBD.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #21647
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

I'm currently reading Cheat Mountain by K.P. Hayden; the story of a young couple who buy a home here in my native Virginia that's haunted by the ghost of a Confederate soldier. So far it's a rip roaring tale with plenty of action and interesting characters.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-30-2015 at 07:41 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #21648
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished up with Mr. Kiss and Tell and found it to be an even better book than the first Veronica Mars Mystery Novel, The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line!! I sure hope they get a new contract for more of these mystery novels.
Hi,

I'm looking forward to the Veronica Mars books. Currently, to get up to speed, I am watching the TV show (wow - what a lot of episodes in the first season!! - 22 I think) I am loving it though, and so glad I discovered it. I think there are 3 seasons, and then I will get to the books.

Right now I 'm reading David Baldacci's "The Sixth Man" (King & Maxwell series) and I really like it. I don't think I have ever NOT liked a DB book
I just finished "Saints of the Shadow Bible" by Ian Rankin, and loved it! Another of my fav authors. Both these guys can sure spin a tale!

Rene
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #21649
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
Hi,

I'm looking forward to the Veronica Mars books. Currently, to get up to speed, I am watching the TV show (wow - what a lot of episodes in the first season!! - 22 I think) I am loving it though, and so glad I discovered it. I think there are 3 seasons, and then I will get to the books.

Right now I 'm reading David Baldacci's "The Sixth Man" (King & Maxwell series) and I really like it. I don't think I have ever NOT liked a DB book
I just finished "Saints of the Shadow Bible" by Ian Rankin, and loved it! Another of my fav authors. Both these guys can sure spin a tale!

Rene
There's 3 seasons and the movie. Great show... While the movie was ok, it seemed to lose something from what the shows had. I just can't explain what that was.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #21650
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Veronica Mars movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
Hi,

Rene
Also you should see the 2014 movie before attacking the books.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #21651
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Also you should see the 2014 movie before attacking the books.

I second that, especially before reading the second book.

I've just finished the second Veronica Mars mystery, and don't quite know what I want to read next. I've got a terrible case of the flu, so something light I think.

As for the second VM novel, I really enjoyed it... don't know how much about it I can say without giving anything away!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #21652
AstoundingBruce
Enthusiast
AstoundingBruce is on a distinguished road

Device: NextBook
I just finished The Witch and the Changeling by Lynn E. O'Connacht. I'm not sure what I thought about it. On the one hand, the witch of the title and the setting were quite believable. On the other, the ending was so ambiguous it almost didn't seem like an ending. Maybe O'Connacht will write a sequel.
AstoundingBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #21653
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just had to pop in and join the Veronica Mars lovefest.

I'm into the home-stretch on Mr Kiss and Tell and agree that it's even better than the first. These books really capture the essence of the characters from the TV show, I think. Just spot-on. And I like that they don't try to force references to everything that happened in the show (in every book) like some tie-in novels do. Still... it's a very smooth transition from the show, to the movie, to the books. I was sorry to see the show end, but it's great that Veronica's story didn't.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #21654
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
And I started reading The Golem and the Jinni at lunchtime today. About 10% into it and enjoying the book very much. Thanks for all who recommended it.
I want to shout out a great THANK YOU to all of you who recommended The Golem and the Jinni. I finished it about a week ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Since then I've read a set of four books for mid-grade kids -- an adventure story spread across all four books -- Series is called Return to Titanic and tells the story of two 8th-grade kids who are flung 100 years into the past to experience the sinking of the Titanic. Pretty good book.

I'm about 20 pages from the end of The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord. This is an outstanding science fiction novel that I highly recommend. After reading so many military SF novels over the past year or so, this is refreshing in that it really deals with clashing cultures.

I'm not sure what's up next -- probably The Leper of Saint Giles by Ellis Peters, book 5 in the Cadfael mysteries.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 AM   #21655
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I want to shout out a great THANK YOU to all of you who recommended The Golem and the Jinni. I finished it about a week ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ditto. I'm really pleased I bought it and read it. Sometimes there's only hype, but this book was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Omega Egg by Mike Resnick et al. A round-robin novel that was created at Fictionwise. I bought it when it was still being produced chapter-by-chapter back in 2005. It's about time I read it and found out if was worth the money!
Unfortunately, I find I don't like the round-robin format. Individually, the writers are great, and each section is fine, but I just don't like the complete lack of any overall vision. I can see that it was fun to write, and could be fund to read if you enjoy seeing authors set each other cliff-hangers and how they move things on. But that's one level of abstraction more than I want at the moment. So, after five chapters I'm abandoning it.

Next up: 1636: The Barbie Consortium by Gorg Huff et al. I'm 99% sure I'll enjoy this, a collection of stories covering one group of youngsters in the 1632 universe. Bought yesterday, thanks to a Kobo coupon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:14 AM   #21656
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
And now I'm torn about what to read next. I have a fantasy book coming up for a book club in February, but that's still two days away, and I'm not sure I should start it yet, but that means I want something quick which is neither crime nor fantasy, and I'm struggling to make up my mind.
I decided to go for Winning Colors by Elizabeth Moon, the third Serrano book. Part of this year's quest to tidy away some omnibuses.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #21657
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I was a Mathew Scudder addict for many a year, and when I got my first reader kind of overloaded on Simon R. Green. Both are great authors but I should have not read so many in a row of either. Still a few I haven't read, but might be years before I can again enjoy them properly.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:01 AM   #21658
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Man. Finally finished Mary Stonewallcraft's Vindication of the Rights of Woman.

I need something light, and definitely not set in the eighteenth century.

The next class assingnment is Japanese drama. We'll see how that goes.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #21659
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
The Fourth Estate
by Jeffrey Archer - 5/5

It's been a long time in coming, but at last I've got my first 5/5 book of the year. Jeffrey Archer's books, unlike most authors', had always been available to me when I was growing up in the mid 90's. I remember those times. Curiously, though I had been aware of some of his writings (Kane and Abel), I naively thought that writers like him were common in the world. How wrong was I. So, instead of saving up my money to buy his books, I bought instead French and Belgian comics. Stuff like Gaston Lagaffe and Lucky Luke and Asterix.

I queerly don't regret the time I let elapse to discover Archer's works. I am now in a position to fully savor Archer's storytelling prowess. The Fourth Estate, throughout its length duped us into thinking that the struggle between two press magnates would end up in a draw - in the end, if not during their blow by blow account. The end was stunning. The wordsmith that is Archer has had me hooked these past few days when I was engrossed in reading this book. But it's not a universally acclaimed novel.

It's a novel that was maybe meant for people who appreciate raw, page turning fun. I appreciated the small cares gone into the book...such as giving some lines to describing Townsend's and Hoch's first sexual experiences, then ditching the lurid details as they grew up in maturity and sophistication. I liked how Archer made two unlikable characters be heroes of this book. I was not even once against these chaps and their actions. For me that happens very rarely. I enjoyed the chapters switching alternatively between Armstrong and Townsend, then merging these two arcs so that I had to pay attention as to what was happening. Most of all I liked the style of the book. I had once been physically sick while reading a book. Well, with the Fourth Estate, aesthetically, it was like having ice cream for every meal. Archer is fast gaining to become my favorite writer. Baldacci better beware. I need to ration these books so they don't get read too fast. Truly the 90's were a treasured decade for authors. Simply because the generation that saw out WW2, could have the conclusion of their lives based in that special decade. Can't wait to read more of Jeffrey Archer's books.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #21660
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I was a Mathew Scudder addict for many a year, and when I got my first reader kind of overloaded on Simon R. Green. Both are great authors but I should have not read so many in a row of either. Still a few I haven't read, but might be years before I can again enjoy them properly.

Helen
Fortunately, it's been long enough that I can read them again. Though I admit, the hard drinking of the early Matt Scudder books is a bit much. But still, enjoying this first one. I'll likely pace them out - they don't lend themselves to binge reading this second time around.

Meanwhile, listening to A Symphony of Echos, #2 in the Chronicles of St. Mary series, and Foxglove Summer, #5 in Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. I'm stretching out Foxglove Summer by only listening when I swim, giving me a strong incentive to hit the pool.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote