Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #46
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
To put some perspective on the demand for sport watches, my Garmin Forerunner 305 is an interesting study. It was released way back in 2007 and was considered the gold standard for GPS watches for several years. It retailed for $299 but could usually be had for around $200.

As it aged the price plummeted as you might expect. I picked mine up for about $110 two years ago. However today the current models are not as well-liked, and as a result the Garmin 305s that are left are selling for $329+. Likewise, the discontinued Motorola MotoACTV is still selling near or even above MSRP.

There is a market for a smart sport watch, and the consumers in that market have a proven history of spending big money for a lot less functionality than what is capable today.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

True, but I think your Garmin and my Casio are way more rugged than Samsung's smartwatch. A sports watch really needs to be rugged. That is why I have trouble seeing the Samsung used for a sports watch. That and the fact it will need recharging every day or two (I'm guessing).
Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #48
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That kind of watch has been around a long time, but are designed differently from a stupidwatch which requires a specific phone to operate. They are stand alone watches. Just go to Garmin.com and look around. There are many other manufacturers as well.
Obviously you aren't the target audience but that doesn't make it a stupid watch. You've mentioned sports watch a couple of times but it isn't a sports watch and no one claimed it was. If you want to check your pulse or tell what your altitude is then by all means by a Garmin, that's what it's for. This watch is designed for convenience, like when you're in a meeting or driving your car and you can't very well take out your phone. This allows you to see at a glance what the message/call is and you can decide what action to take.
Now it obviously isn't for everyone but if there's one thing that the Pebble watch proved, it's something that a lot of people want.

Not that it's without its faults. $300 is way too much money. $150 would be way better. Why isn't it using e-ink tech to maximize battery life and outdoors readability? And why the hell is it limited to Samsung phones? Surely, Samsung could release an Android app like all the other watchmakers do. They'd sell a lot more watches that way.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #49
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Obviously you aren't the target audience but that doesn't make it a stupid watch. You've mentioned sports watch a couple of times but it isn't a sports watch and no one claimed it was.
What was claimed was that health related apps would be the advantage of a watch like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenasterisk View Post
I think the market for smart watches are going to explode in the coming years. I personally would like a device which would give me information about messages, calls etc without taking out the mobile phone. It is more of a convenience actually. I think the killer apps for these kind of watches would be health related ones. Ones which enable joggers, exercises, swimmers to track their activity on a daily basis.
Quote:
If you want to check your pulse or tell what your altitude is then by all means by a Garmin, that's what it's for. This watch is designed for convenience, like when you're in a meeting or driving your car and you can't very well take out your phone. This allows you to see at a glance what the message/call is and you can decide what action to take.
Now it obviously isn't for everyone but if there's one thing that the Pebble watch proved, it's something that a lot of people want.

Not that it's without its faults. $300 is way too much money. $150 would be way better. Why isn't it using e-ink tech to maximize battery life and outdoors readability? And why the hell is it limited to Samsung phones? Surely, Samsung could release an Android app like all the other watchmakers do. They'd sell a lot more watches that way.
If you are in a car or in a meeting and you can't put your phone somewhere where you can look at it then you shouldn't be looking at your smartwatch either.

What could be useful is an app that makes the phone give a signal if it is a few meters from the watch to prevent loosing your phone. Or to have the phone unlock with the watch.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #50
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We're not supposed to glance at our watch while we're in a meeting or in a car? I had no idea. Glancing at your smartwatch is a lot safer than fishing around for a phone in your car and it's a lot less disruptive than picking up your phone and looking at it while your boss is talking in a meeting. There's lots of other useful situations you could use it. I sometimes get a message from my wife while I'm biking home but I don't get it right away because my phone is in my backpack and I don't even realize I've gotten it. With a smartwatch I find out right away.
That said, anyone who gets the first generation of this is nuts. Smart watches need at least another couple of years of refining before anything decent comes out.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #51
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
It's funny to see the kind of lame duck products Samsung creates when they have no one to copy.
Got to agree with you this time. This one's a fail.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #52
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
[*]Toilette bowls that connect with a Samsung smartphone, just in case you get an important call while dropping a deuce[/LIST]
Japanese toilet maker Toto has already demoed an app to remote control your washlet (The Japanese name for a smart toilet), you set the strength and temperature of the water stream that cleans your tuchus.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #53
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We're not supposed to glance at our watch while we're in a meeting or in a car? I had no idea. Glancing at your smartwatch is a lot safer than fishing around for a phone in your car and it's a lot less disruptive than picking up your phone and looking at it while your boss is talking in a meeting. There's lots of other useful situations you could use it. I sometimes get a message from my wife while I'm biking home but I don't get it right away because my phone is in my backpack and I don't even realize I've gotten it. With a smartwatch I find out right away.
That said, anyone who gets the first generation of this is nuts. Smart watches need at least another couple of years of refining before anything decent comes out.
You don't have to fish around for your phone. You have phone holders for cars and bikes. I think that it is safer than something vibrating on the hand that holds the wheel or the handlebars.

And during meetings you can put your phone on the table, unless it is considered unacceptable to get distracted by a message or a call, in which case it would also be unacceptable to get distracted by a message or a call on your watch. Phones are designed to be operated single handed, but with this smartwatch you have to use not just the hand that the watch is on, but the opposite hand as well to operate it so it is actually less discrete than using your phone.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #54
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Obviously I'm not going to convince anyone here and its obviously not for everyone. It's probably not even for me. I know that it would be very useful for some people however. I could buy a phone stand for every situation that I happen be in but I think a watch would be a lot more convenient. And yes using the watch as you describe would be annoying but that's not the point.
A) It alerts you when you might not normally notice your phone like when it's in your pocket or in a bag (I never notice my phone vibrate when it's in my pants)
B) You can tell at a glance whether this is a call or email that you need to take immediately or can wait. There's no need to fool around with your watch with both of your hands, just glance at the name of the sender or the phone number or the email header and then you can decide to pull over and take the call or respond to the email or excuse yourself from the meeting.
It's as simple as that. It's not for everyone that's for sure and for $300 and only for Galaxy phones and with first gen hiccups it's certainly not for me but you can't deny that it could be very useful for some people (think of all those people who walk around with a bluetooth headset sticking out of their ears).
Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #55
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder if any of the people who keep suggesting it is difficult to keep up with their phones in a car, meeting, etc. have ever heard of Bluetooth headsets? They are a hell of a lot cheaper, and probably quieter, and certainly less distracting to ALL concerned than a large smartwatch.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #56
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Obviously I'm not going to convince anyone here and its obviously not for everyone. It's probably not even for me. I know that it would be very useful for some people however. I could buy a phone stand for every situation that I happen be in but I think a watch would be a lot more convenient. And yes using the watch as you describe would be annoying but that's not the point.
A) It alerts you when you might not normally notice your phone like when it's in your pocket or in a bag (I never notice my phone vibrate when it's in my pants)
If you don't notice the phone vibrate in your pants you aren't going to notice a smartwatch vibrate on your wrist.

Quote:
B) You can tell at a glance whether this is a call or email that you need to take immediately or can wait. There's no need to fool around with your watch with both of your hands, just glance at the name of the sender or the phone number or the email header and then you can decide to pull over and take the call or respond to the email or excuse yourself from the meeting.
It's as simple as that. It's not for everyone that's for sure and for $300 and only for Galaxy phones and with first gen hiccups it's certainly not for me but you can't deny that it could be very useful for some people (think of all those people who walk around with a bluetooth headset sticking out of their ears).
It has a 1.63" screen and it already looks large on a wrist.

To fit most names on that screen the font won't be very big so you won't be able to tell at a glance who is calling, you are going to have to place your wrist closer to your eyes. You definitely won't be able to read email header at a glance. I don't care how convenient you think that this would be while you are driving or cycling, I think that it would be dangerous and if this is the way people are going to use them, then they should be banned.

If the people at the meeting would excuse you so you can respond to the call or email, then they would allow you to have you phone on the table. If it isn't socially acceptable for you to respond then using a device with a smaller screen won't make a difference.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #57
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
You don't have to fish around for your phone. You have phone holders for cars and bikes. I think that it is safer than something vibrating on the hand that holds the wheel or the handlebars.

And during meetings you can put your phone on the table, unless it is considered unacceptable to get distracted by a message or a call, in which case it would also be unacceptable to get distracted by a message or a call on your watch. Phones are designed to be operated single handed, but with this smartwatch you have to use not just the hand that the watch is on, but the opposite hand as well to operate it so it is actually less discrete than using your phone.
This reminds me of Microsoft & Apple. With Microsoft it was styles: "Don't write the way *you* want to, write the way *we* want you to". With Apple it was how to hold your phone. People need to realize that not everybody wants to live the way you do-assume they're aware of the possibilities (if they're intelligent, they are) and have already rejected them. The watch is another alternative that some of them might prefer. It's over-expensive, sure-and some people don't like any alternatives. Tough-people are different & that's pretty much it.

Personally I'm still looking for a Bluetooth headset that works for me. Technically they all work, of course, but I'm not willing to change how I do things, e.g. I want to choose which calls to answer but the 'Bluetooth' solution to fumbling for your phone (or that minuscule button on the headset) is to answer all calls automatically. That's not what I want to do so I don't normally use a headset-instead I simply don't answer (or even check) the phone when I'm driving. That sometimes causes problems but less than an accident would.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #58
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
This reminds me of Microsoft & Apple. With Microsoft it was styles: "Don't write the way *you* want to, write the way *we* want you to". With Apple it was how to hold your phone. People need to realize that not everybody wants to live the way you do-assume they're aware of the possibilities (if they're intelligent, they are) and have already rejected them. The watch is another alternative that some of them might prefer. It's over-expensive, sure-and some people don't like any alternatives. Tough-people are different & that's pretty much it.
Actually, if there are people who decide that taking their hand off the car wheel or bicycle handlebars to stare at a 1.63" screen to decide if they should reply to a call, message or email while driving is a good idea, then it is my business. It is the business of everybody on the street.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #59
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Actually, if there are people who decide that taking their hand off the car wheel or bicycle handlebars to stare at a 1.63" screen to decide if they should reply to a call, message or email while driving is a good idea, then it is my business. It is the business of everybody on the street.
And why would you take your hands off the wheel to look at your watch? Even worse, why would you assume that everybody will do that? I certainly don't. I suppose there are some that do but I suspect those are people who would take their hands off the wheel to pick up a phone too. If the smartwatch were reasonably priced I'd recommend a study. As it is I don't think there will be enough sales to make one worthwhile.

On thinking about this I realize we might be talking about different activities. I don't ride a bike so I have no idea how easily I could read my watch while doing so. While driving I don't need to shift my hands at all to read it-all I do is look, about as much time as when I check my speedometer or check the rear view mirrors. From what I've seen of bicyclists I don't believe they look forward to where they're going anyway so I don't see why taking their eyes off the road would be a problem for them.

Last edited by calvin-c; 09-08-2013 at 06:23 PM.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #60
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The one thing i have difficulty wrapping my head around is why people want to be reachable 24/7.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote