Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
auchau
auchau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Book about pharmaceuticals. What to read?

Hi everybody,

I am interesting in pharmaceutical and want to read something about implicit and fierce competition, monopoly, R&D process of new medicine, vaccine etc., politics-related business, conspiracy, the shaping and developing of the pharmaceutical industry in the modern world...
I do not have much knowledge of chemistry, medicine rather than what was learned from the high school. So, what I can digest is not a professional and intense book but a book like a pharmaceutical chronicle for a layman.
Any recommendation?

You have my grateful thanks.
auchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Ben Goldacre, who wrote Bad Science, also wrote a follow-up, Bad Pharma:How Drug Companies Mislead Doctors and Harm Patients.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
The Constant Gardener by John le Carré
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
This is written by a former editor of one of my favorite periodicals, the New England Journal of Medicine:

The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It

http://www.amazon.com/The-Truth-Abou.../dp/0375760946

The next title is only partly about drug companies, but I also liked it a lot, and it is along the muckraking lines you suggest in your OP:

The Truth in Small Doses: Why We're Losing the War on Cancer-and How to Win It

http://www.amazon.com/The-Truth-Smal.../dp/1476739986

I'm trying to think of a pro-pharmaceutical industry book to give some balance here, but I can't think of one I have finished.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote